What's new

Quest Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Playa

Auditioning
Made in Canada, and seem like a good deal?
Has any one ever owned/used/heard them?
I was thinking of picking up either
Link Removed
or
Link Removed
My system is in a small room (12'x10') so I don't need huge sound.
Any comments would help a newbie out.
Thanks.
Mike

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Unless your a hardcore HT music guy like me, they are a good deal. They are allways going on sale for like $99 CDN!!! Im in highschool, and should own then with a kenwood.
Im crazy and have Klipsch Ref with flagship Denon!:D
They are a tad muddy, (the quest) and will not shake the house, but they are better then bose.

Nick V

Second Unit
I thought they were extremely muddy when I heard them at Future Shop. The salesman turned the Harman Kardon 2ch. receiver all the way up with them playing and said "they pound pretty sweet don't they?" They were so distorted, you couldn't even hear the words to the song that was playing. Their price was very appealing, but instead, I went out and bought some paradigms.

I don't know what they compare to for the money, but I don't think that they are very good speakers at all IMO.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
LOL Nick, typical FS sales guy!

I haven't heard the speakers but the little 8" sub ain't bad for a tiny system for the money. Take a listen, while your there compare to the JBl's

Mike_Playa

Auditioning
Well maybe I should give you guys a little more information on my system.
I just turned 18 and live at home.
Like I said it's not a very big room either.
My current system is:
Sony Trinitron RM-757 27"
Panasonic DVD-RV31
Pioneer PD-F 606
Sony STRDE575 Dolby Receiver
Pioneer 2way 6"mids 1"tweet rears and center channel
Mission m72 Fronts
and a Polk PSW350 10" Subwoofer

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:
Are you replacing something, or getting speakers for another room? IMHO Quest speakers just don't match the quality of your Mission's, your Polk sub, or probably even your Pioneers.
If you are sure you want to buy bargain speakers, I got a flyer in the paper today from Radio Shack (I assume it applies across Canada). They have all their Merak speakers on sale 50% off. Merak is owned by the same holding company that owns Axiom speakers - it's essentially Axiom's bargain brand. It might be a good idea to buy both the Merak's and the Quest's, audition them at home, and return the ones you don't want.
If you want to step up the quality ladder a few notches, Marc Hallam at Audioshop in Ottawa has the Axiom M2Ti's on sale for $199. Marc usually includes shipping to major centers in North America. I don't know if that applies to the specials or not. Check them out at
http://www.audioshop.on.ca/specials.htm.
If you want more information on Axiom speakers (a great Canadian speaker brand and a value leader), go to AxiomAudio.com.
I hope that helps,
Jeff

Mike_Playa

Auditioning
I am getting rid of the pioneers.
They just can't keep up with the rest of my system.
One of the serounds is punctured and destortes at moderate volume.

I don't have a lot of dough to drop on a replacement.
I read good reviews of the quests on futureshop.ca so I thought I would see what more experinced people thought.

The Missions are wonderful speakers and would remain my fronts.

I will look into that link you posted.
Thanks for your help.

Mike

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

Don't you think towers are a bit of overkill for surrounds? I think the Axiom M2Ti's at Audioshop might be just the ticket,

Jeff

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Paradigm Atom's for $189cdn a pair last weekend for my sister in law after listening to JBL's, Athena, & Polk. In our oppinion the paradigms easy bested these other bookshelfs and were very affordable.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
They've been selling Paradigm Atoms at East Hamilton Radio for $169.00 - they are great speakers.

A friend of mine has the Quest towers as his mains (from a previous stereo system). When i helped him shop for a surround system, he bought an Energy XLC and 2 XL 15's for the surrounds.

He's planning an upgrade to the Energy XL 25's up front, but the Quest have been serving him fine for the last 8 months. He has a smallish basement HT.

Try for the Paradigms if possible.

Take it easy

PS Quest is a subsidiary of JBL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks