What's new

In search for AV Receiever (1 Viewer)

dsdetor

Auditioning
Real Name
David Detor
I had a Pioneer VSX-LX104 I purchased new about 3 years ago. At the same time I bought Definitive Technology Pro Cinema speakers. The amp never really blew me away but it was ok. I never drove it hard; volume never was more than 1/3 up. Sunday night it started given error messages and rebooting with no sound. Then, a faint burning odor. I unplugged everything, pulled it off shelf and it was hot enough to fry and egg on the bottom. So my quest is to find a budget amp under $500. I been looking at Sony, Yamaha, and Denon. Needless to say I have no interest in Pioneer again. Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Denon, maybe Yamaha. Receivers are hard to come by presently, you may need to consider refurbished units.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I had a Pioneer VSX-LX104 I purchased new about 3 years ago. At the same time I bought Definitive Technology Pro Cinema speakers. The amp never really blew me away but it was ok. I never drove it hard; volume never was more than 1/3 up. Sunday night it started given error messages and rebooting with no sound. Then, a faint burning odor. I unplugged everything, pulled it off shelf and it was hot enough to fry and egg on the bottom. So my quest is to find a budget amp under $500. I been looking at Sony, Yamaha, and Denon. Needless to say I have no interest in Pioneer again. Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Feature-wise Costco has a new Denon AVR-S760H that should replicate or improve on what that Pioneer could do, though it's not ultra powerful.

Since you said you never turned the volume up much, this is likely not a problem though. When I log into Costco's website to see the price it's showing as $449.00

bocat

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I switched from Pioneer to a Denon S750H and I love it. Highly recommend.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I switched from a 20+ year old Yamaha RX-V995 to a Denon S750H last year and I still can’t wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks