What's new

pvr from hdtv/satellite (1 Viewer)

EddieMata

Agent
I would like to know if it is possible to record a hdtv signal to a pvr? Also, is there a component that combines the hdtv satellite reciever with a pvr? I'd appreciate all the help and information. THANKS!

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, is there a component that combines the hdtv satellite reciever with a pvr?
No. You can get an RCA DTC-100 sat receiver modified ($1,000) to send HD to a digital VCR. Or you could combine one of the recorders above with a Dish model 5000 receiver with the HD add on and you could record HD. The drawback is that the 5000 does not use 8PSK modulation, will not decode any of Dish's newer HD channels and will be completely usless for HD when the older channels get switch to 8PSK.

Dish has announced the PVR921 HD recorder, DirecTV has announced a satellite/OTA DVR powered by Tivo and Tivo has announced an HD OTA/SD DVR.

-Robert

EddieMata

Agent
Robert

Thanks for the info and forgive my ignorance. Is it then possible to still set up the hdtv reciever and a pvr just to record the programming w/o hi-def?

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I've read over at Tivo Community, connecting a stand alone Tivo to a HD box (OTA, sat or cable) via s-video will get you a very good picture when recording HD at the Best quality. Right now, I use my DirecTivo for all recording and just watch HD when I get a chance. I will be getting the HD DirecTivo when it is release later this year (or more likely early next year). I'll be keeping my regular DirecTivo because there are reports that the HD model would only record one HD stream at a time. The SD model would be the backup recorder any time there was a programming conflict.

-Robert

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait till they come out with these HD PVRs. That will look awesome especially for NFL games in HDTV!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks