What's new

Looking for recommended updates to play modern media from old AVR (1 Viewer)

erotavlas

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
I'm currently unable to enjoy any new movie/video files or streaming music using my current system

My current equipment is
Denon AVR 1907
I originally set it up with a 5.1 set of PSB speakers
Connected to the AVR is a turntable and a cassette deck and broken Samsung DVD-R135
Also connected is my television receiver/PVR.

The AVR is connected to an old Sony CRT using the yellow RCA cable

Everything was ok until I wanted to play a movie I downloaded (burned it to DVD on my computer) then went to put it in the DVD player but the tray doesn't open and no menu or output seen on TV. So basically doesn't work anymore.

So this is what I can and can't do:
- Can play Vinyl records
- Can play cassette tapes
- Can watch standard definition TV and make use of the 5.1 channel for most shows/movies via the television receiver
- Can listen to music via laptop or smartphone via headphone jack to rca cable connector - (requires physical connection)

- Can't play my CDs any more (DVD player broken)
- Can't watch movies or other video files I used to copy to DVD
- Can't listen to streaming audio from sources like Spotify (never could do that)
- Can't use any device that has HDMI output like my Xbox One

One solution could be to purchase one of these HDMI converters on Amazon and use it to hook my Xbox One to the AVR. The Xbox has a separate optical digital audio output so I can enjoy the surround sound on any media I play from it (theoretically - haven't tried it).

Alternatively I saw a Sony blu-ray player that can play media files, and is network connected. But again its the HDMI issue and I'm not sure if they have the digital audio output though if I use the HDMI to standard definition converter.

Regarding streaming audio from devices, I could always get something like the Bluesound Node or a cheaper variant like from iFi and connect it to the AVR.

To be honest unless I upgrade my TV there is no reason for me to upgrade my AVR. However I need to do something even if it means buying a new piece of equipment otherwise I remain stuck 15 years in the past.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It sounds like you're still watching movies and TV and videogames in 480i via composite cable? If so, you've limited yourself to the worst video possible the past 15 years. Even 20 years ago, everyone advised using component video whenever possible (e.g. videogames, DVD, etc) over composite.

The simple recommendation is to upgrade everything and move to 4K HDR. Get an LCD or OLED that fits your budget and either a new receiver or a soundbar. Get a new disc player if you need to play discs.

Last edited:

erotavlas

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
Yes, using the yellow RCA cable since that's all the TV has. It's 36 years old . I've been waiting for it to die of natural causes lol. I'm beginning to think I'll die before it does:).

The component (red,blue,green) connectors on my Denon exist but I never used them since it doesn't down convert to RCA.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you know the answer, but just don't want to hear it. The TV is 36 years old. EVERYTHING in video has changed since then. The receiver is 15 years old, and honestly it was outdated when it was released, since it lacks hdmi. Unfortunately, it's going to be difficult to get all of that functioning again. Not saying it can't be done, but money spent doing it is probably money wasted.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree with John - it’s time to start thinking about putting together your next setup rather than trying to squeeze any additional life out of the one you’ve got. Any sort of workaround solution you look into will not only be extremely limited at best, but it’s also throwing good money after bad because none of the things you’d get as a workaround would be in any way useful or productive in a new setup.

HDMI has been the standard for connecting devices for well over a decade, while analog connections like the red/white/yellow RCA connections you use now have been removed from the list of compatible/supported specs for over a decade.

erotavlas

Auditioning
Real Name
Sal
Do the new AVR allow for wireless media streaming like found in devices such as Blusound Node or iFi bluetooth streamer? Or would I still need to purchase one of those?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I agree with John - it’s time to start thinking about putting together your next setup rather than trying to squeeze any additional life out of the one you’ve got. Any sort of workaround solution you look into will not only be extremely limited at best, but it’s also throwing good money after bad because none of the things you’d get as a workaround would be in any way useful or productive in a new setup.

HDMI has been the standard for connecting devices for well over a decade, while analog connections like the red/white/yellow RCA connections you use now have been removed from the list of compatible/supported specs for over a decade.
1000% agree with the other forum members that have chimed in. It's 2023 and you are viewing and listening to things on 1990s equipment. Vinyl and CD are still excellent ways to experience music. But even an entry level new turntable and cd player sound much better than what I think you are listening to them on now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do the new AVR allow for wireless media streaming like found in devices such as Blusound Node or iFi bluetooth streamer? Or would I still need to purchase one of those?
Generally yes, but just music. What specifically will depend on the brand and model, but bluetooth is very common, as is AirPlay and internet radio. Video will require a streamer like Roku or AppleTV or a smart TV.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, using the yellow RCA cable since that's all the TV has. It's 36 years old . I've been waiting for it to die of natural causes lol. I'm beginning to think I'll die before it does:).

The component (red,blue,green) connectors on my Denon exist but I never used them since it doesn't down convert to RCA.
The good news is you can upgrade from 1987 home entertainment to 2023 home theater, and in that almost-40 years, it’s gotten much, much better!

You’re getting to jump from CRT NES to 4K XBOX, from VHS to UHD 4K HDR in a single upgrade!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks