What's new

Keeping Video path all digital (1 Viewer)

KurtGie

Auditioning
I have been doing a bit of research after being told that only IEEE-1394 would be able to pass digital video signals without degradation.

I have identified the Samsung SIR-T165 as a set top box that has the IEEE-1394 output and a Panasonic DMR-E100HS or DMR-E60H as a PVR/DVD recorder that has an IEEE-1394 input (What happened with the DMR-E80H? It doesn't seem to have the firewire input.)

Both have a DVI-D output that appears like it will work with the NEC 61MP1 that I plan for a display device (was going with a projector but I like the plasma's brightness, off angle viewing, and ambient light tolerance). I am not too clear on how to switch between two DVI-D sources at the TV.

Anyway, I would like to hear from people that have these units. Any real pitfalls? shortcomings? I am on the right path? I looked into HTPCs, but frankly my wife and kids would freak at having a PC in the theater.

I want to be able to record HDTV off the air or satellite and play it back in full HDTV resolution.

Thanks for your comments.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want to be able to record HDTV off the air or satellite and play it back in full HDTV resolution.
Wait until Q1 '04 for the HD DirecTivo. According to rumors, you will be able to record two HD streams at once from either OTA, sat or both.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks