What Satellite Network PVR to get

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dennis_H, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering getting a satellite TV service for the first time. If I do, I will get a PVR. I don't have HDTV yet, so that is out of the consideration for now. Dish and Direct both have PVRs, basically the same programming, and close to the same cost (as far as I can tell). I'm in the Dallas area with great antenna reception, so I don't 'have' to get locals, unless it's easier. I will be using 2 rooms and don't have a home network.

What I want to find out is what equipment each has that seems to work well? Can you record local channels with the PVR with or without paying extra for locals on satellite? Do I need to get 2 PVR's and a home network if I want to watch from the PVR in either room? I'm confused about the Dish player PVR that looks like it somehow feeds 2 TVs and you use an RF remote. How does that hook up/ what do you need? Any recommendations between the 2? Pros/cons?

Thanks,
    Dennis_H

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It's like having two independent receivers in a single enclosure. It's only available for lease.

Remember, Dish PVR's are timer based like a VCR. Tivos (stand alone and DirecTV models) use name based recording. This is the BIGGEST selling feature for me. I set up all my favorite shows and just let Tivo do the work for me. The network will shuffle their programming and Tivo tracks all of the changes. With Dish, you would have to re-program the PVR to keep up.

-Robert

3. Dennis_H

So, if I get the local channels package on the satellite, I will or won't be able to record these to the DirectTivo? Seems like they should be able to be recorded if they come over the satellite.

The DirectTivo system is sounding better than DISH PVR. I should be able to record a channel and watch another through the DirectTivo. The DISH PVR won't let you do that with only one tuner unless you spring for the $500 dual tuner one? I guess I would have a standard receiver in the bedroom. Do all the receivers have digital out for audio? I do have 5.1 in the bedroom also. I realize there are not many channels broadcasting in 5.1, but it would be nice to have. Are any of the receiver brands better than others, or do they all have the same guts/menu system?

Thanks again,
    Dennis_H

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    Yes if you receive local channels from your satellite provider, you can record the local channels with the satellite PVR. In my opinion, the DirecTV DVR with TiVo is so much better than anything Dish Network offers that there is really no comparison.

Chris

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since Chris_G answered this already, I'll just add some info. Satellite PVR's have a HUGE advantage over stand alone models because they don't need an internal MPEG encoder. The signal is already compressed by much better encoders at DirecTV's uplink facility. You get a better picture that takes up less storage space.

-Robert

6. Dennis_H

That is great news, So I can use two DirectTivo's for the $5/month. I am sold on the Direct package then.

Sorry I'm asking so many stupid questions, but I haven't dealt with sat TV yet.
    How many RG6 cables need to be run for each receiver? Is it different for the dual tuner Tivo units compared to the standard receivers? I guess you need a dual LNB dish with splitters/amps? Also, what are the phone line requirements? Do I need a phone line in each receiver? Only one? Does it matter after it's set up if you don't use PPV?

Thanks again,
    Dennis_H

7. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Since you stated that you don't have a home network, you will have to have a phone line plugged into each receiver. This can be accomplished with wireless or powerline solutions if there is no phone jack nearby. Besides PPV functions, DirecTivos use the phone connection to get program guide updates, software updates, etc...

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Software update over the phone line, yes. Guide updates, no. Guide updates come over the satellite signal just like the regular DirecTV receivers. You need a phone line for the initial setup and that's it. My DirecTivo hasn't made a call in 480 days and it works just fine. Once a day, when going to the Now Playing list, I get an extra screen reminding me to make a call. If you want to order PPV, order it via DirecTV's web site.

-Robert

9. Dennis_H

OK, last question(s) and I quit for a while...

I'm still deciding if I'm going to get 2 TIVO units or 1 and a standard for now. Do I have to get a 3 LNB dish for using 2 TIVOs, or does the standard dish with a multiswitch work just as well? I'm looking at some of the installed packages and they have a dual dish with 1 TIVO/1 standard, a triple with 1 TIVO/1 Standard, and a dual with 2 TIVO units. Didn't see a 2 TIVO with triple LNB option. I'm guessing both dual dishes have to have the multiswitch to feed both receivers. If I'm already in a major market (Dallas) and don't have HDTV, do I need the triple LNB?

Thanks (for the last time),
    Dennis_H

10. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't sure where Bedford is. So, no you don't need a triple lnb dish to get Dallas locals. And yes, a dual dish with a multiswitch works fine. I used that setup for a long time before getting the triple for my local channels.

Cool, good to know. The wording on my Phillips Series 1 lead me to believe that the phone line always has something to do with the guide. Of course, it's never been a problem since I wired the house with so many jacks that I can't count them all.[​IMG]

11. Dennis_H

OK, I said I wouldn't waste anyone's time with more questions, but I do want to thank everyone who answered in this thread. Got my 2 DirectTIVO units and triple LNB dish installed this morning. Very cool. Still need to do a lot of configuring of my preferences and get the remote functions on my primary universals. I ran the RG6 and phone cables before hand since I knew the 'free' installation would cost me when they saw where the cables had to run. Looks like it's going to be very cool. Thanks again.