What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Punch-Drunk Love" is confirmed an SE for 6/10 (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Yes. It's confirmed. Believe it or not, I have a membership to a forum site called xixax.com and one of the members there happens to be the moderater of ptanderson.com and he has confirmed with P.T. Anderson that a SE DVD is on the way for June 10th. I'm trying to remember this by heart, so cut me some slack if I'm wrong with some features, but I think you'll all be happy that it will be a 2 Disc Set.

Here's what is confirmed for the SE.

DISC 1:

Widescreen Version, which will be anamorphic
Dolby Digital 6.1
DTS
(There will be no commentary for two reasons. One, P.T. Anderson wants to keep the bitrate level on the soundtracks high (and I don't blame him), but also, because he believes that "Punch-Drunk Love" is a movie, like "Magnolia", that speaks for itself.)

DISC 2:

Blossoms and Blood
Mattress Man Commercial
2 Deleted Sequences
12 Internet Trailers/Spots
and other stuff (TBD)
(There will be no behind the scenes documentary. The reasons why are unknown.)

But that's not all. Careful attention will also go into the menu design and a collectable booklet will be included as well.

Now, before you all go insane about no commentary or no documentary, you must understand that when P.T. Anderson was doing this DVD, he did it with the fans in mind, so if you're upset that there is no commentary or behind the scenes documnetary, just let it go. It is better to have the film itself, and even I agree, because the extras are just the icing on the cake. You should be happy that it's film's coming out.

When the full details are up, I will update this post, but for now, this is what is confirmed for the disc. I repeat, THIS IS A CONFIRMED RELEASE DATE!!!!! The wait is almost over. June 10th? I can't wait.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"12 Internet Trailers/Spots"

Id rather have a "behind the scenes" or "making of". The one done for Magnolia was really excellent, but it doesnt matter, I just want the movie.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Sounds good! And in my opinion the movie was so magically whimsical that it defies explanation. I'm sure PTA would have a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes trivia to impart, but as far as the movie goes, analysis would seem redundant. "And notice how the harmonium seems to appear out of nowhere just like the frogs..."

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't know what would have been so bad about a video-diary documentary. I'm not upset that it's not included, it's just that it has nothing to do with analysis, so I'm not sure why one wasn't made.

Also, depending on the TBD extras, this doesn't seem a whole lot over a bare-bones release. So my question is, why did they push the original release date. It doesn't appear that any special work needs to go into making the SE.

Regardless, I can't wait to pick this up. It's definitely my favorite film of 2002.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
As long as it's coming out and won't be a double-dip release I'm happy, even if it's admittedly rather light on extras.
I haven't seen the film (it hasn't even been released to German cinemas yet!), but since I love Paul's work (and like Adam Sandler most of the time) this one is a no-brainer for me. Bring it on!

Chris

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
(There will be no commentary for two reasons. One, P.T. Anderson wants to keep the bitrate level on the soundtracks high (and I don't balme him), but also, because he believes that "Punch-Drunk Love" is a movie, like "Magnolia", that speaks for itself.)
Will someone please explain to me why directors keep using the "speaks for itself" excuse when it comes to not doing commentaries? Of course your movie speaks for itself!!! What movie(even a crappy one) doesn't?! Are they implying that they'll only do a commentary if the plot is complex and requires them to explain it scene-by-scene? Cuz that sounds like a "commentary for the blind"(as Tim Minear so eloquently puts it) and I thought everyone hated those.

Look, I really don't care if directors choose to not discuss their films on the DVDs. As long as the movie looks and sounds great(which appears to be the case with Punch-Drunk Love), that's all that truly matters to me. But quit going to the "speaks for itself" card. At least come up with a decent excuse like Woody Allen and the Berg.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Excellent News!! Although considering the length of the movie and quantity of extras, it seems like 2 discs aren't necessary. I'm not complaining, but I guess we'll have to wait to hear about the length and quality of the extras.

That's going to be an expensive day.

Giant
Experiment in Terror
Once Upon A Time in America
Radiohead (CD)

+ several other optionals

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I am happy and confused at the same time.

First and formost... I'm extremely happy that the best film of 2002 will finally be coming to DVD and that it's a 2-disc SE.

But I'm confused and a little irked that we had to wait this long, when there isn't a helluva lot included.

"Blossoms and Blood" was done a long time ago... I have the promotional DVD of it.

"and other stuff (TBD)"... don't know what this'll entail. Probably very little.

It's a shame there isn't a "diary/documentary" like the one on Magnolia. That was extremely informative.

I guess the bottom line is a great film will be available with the best possible transfer and sound - so I'm happy regardless. Perhaps New Line has spoiled us with their magnificent treatment of the Boogie Nights and Magnolia DVDs.

I wait until the official announcement before changing my signature. ;)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
All the major details about this DVD release are supposed to be in the next major news update at ptanderson.com. He said that those details would be today, but as of this posting, the full details are not up yet.

As of this current moment, the only things I don't see that I want on the DVD is the Theatrical Trailer, which I love to death, the behind-the-scenes feturette as seen on Bravo and IFC, and the TV Spots that were shown on TV. I don't just want internet trailers because when "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was released last year on DVD, it only included the Internet trailers, and the Theatrical Trailer was missing, and I liked the Theatrical Trailer for that film, but the theatrical trailer, TV Spots, and the behind-the-scenes featurette are what I want to see as "other stuff."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Now, before you all go insane about no commentary or no documentary, you must understand that when P.T. Anderson was doing this DVD, he did it with the fans in mind, so if you're upset that there is no commentary or behind the scenes documnetary, then shame on you. It is better to have the film itself, and even I agree, because the extras are just the icing on the cake. You should be happy that it's film's coming out.
Why the antagonistic attitude? "Shame on you" because some of us like supplements? He did it with the fans in mind - what does that mean? How does one explain a lack of features as a benefit for fans?

It's not like PTA hasn't endorsed them in the past. If he'd avoided them on prior releases, an absence of extras wouldn't really bug me. But I don't understand why you're criticizing people who DO like extras and feel disappointed that this disc - or any - skimps on the supplements.

"Shame on you"? Thanks, I'll take all the shame I can get...:rolleyes

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The commentaries on Hard Eight and Boogie Nights are among the best there is so I feel no shame that there isn't one for Punch-Drunk-Love or Magnolia (though the making of documentary was a nice compromise). Regardless I will buy whatever PTA puts out.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Will someone please explain to me why directors keep using the "speaks for itself" excuse when it comes to not doing commentaries?
Terry Gilliam mentioned (in the Fear and Loathing commentary of all places) the fact that he hates explaining his films. He dislikes being asked what the point of something is. David Lynch (who hasn't done any commentaries) feels the same way, only to a much higher degree. He mentioned in the book Lynch on Lynch that when you explain art, you take away the mystery. I agree with him to a large extent, and I'm really glad he hasn't done commentaries for his films, because leaving them up to interpretation really makes them stick in my head. On the other hand, I like listening to commentaries, because they are not only informative to the film-making process, but they are also entertaining. That is my only complaint in people not doing commentaries. Lynch says that he doesn't want to ruin the mystery of his films, and he wouldn't if he left the discussion to the film-making process and interesting anecdotes.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Colin, I'm sorry I sounded so "antagonistic." It was unnecessary and I do apologize. It was definately wrong, but I found this confirmed information in a thread where many people expressed their disappointment, and I didn't want everybody to feel the same way. Sorry if I offended you.

Anyway, I just visted that thread and just as I posted my reply, the moderator of ptanderson.com posted his reply right before mine and wrote that the information about the DVD with a special message from PTA himself and the back side of the cover art and he said it would be up at ptanderson.com later on tonight.

BTW, Colin, I altered my original post slightly so I don't sound so "antagonistic". I apologize once again.

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, count me in as being highly disapointed that there is no commentary or documentary. To be sure, I'll be buying it on street date; but that was a forgone conclusion. I suppose that i understand the bitrate thing; but boogie nights had two commentaries and sounds pretty great to me. Of course it's his right to produce the dvd as he sees fit; but that won't stop me from being disapointed that I won't get to hear anderson and sandler yapping about the film.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Terry Gilliam mentioned (in the Fear and Loathing commentary of all places) the fact that he hates explaining his films. He dislikes being asked what the point of something is.
That's an odd statement from a director who has provided an audio commentary to pretty much every film he has ever directed.

As for Anderson's views, the fact that he has his own official "fan" site says it all for me.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
My site is not an "official" fan site, so that comment is horseshit. I talk to Paul occasionally from time to time, but he does not back or pay for my site in any way.

More details about the release on the site in an hour or so.

Thanks

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's an odd statement from a director who has provided an audio commentary to pretty much every film he has ever directed.
I don't proclaim to have listened to all Gilliam commentaries, but in general I find him to discuss the film-making process rather than meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks