What's new

"Punch-Drunk Love" is confirmed an SE for 6/10 (1 Viewer)

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
so is it june 10th or 24th? i'm guessing 10th since greg said anderson told him so. any chance of getting a bigger look at the cover? :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sure, the theatrical one-sheet was WAYYYY better, but let's not forget that this is, in fact a good cover. Imagine what Paramount would do!
Why bash Paramount? They haven't cornered the market on ugly covers. In fact, they're consistently much better than CTS - they've produced a LOT of atrocious covers over the years and along with MGM, they probably are the least reliable major studio in that regard.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Colin,

You're absolutely right. I was absent-mindedly typed in Paramount; I'd just finished researching who has distribution rights to the Hours. My post has been edited accordingly.
For a terrific new example of bad cover art, go to dvdempire and check out Columbia's art for Black Hawk Down: Deluxe. Talk about a HUGE head.

Regards,
Nathan

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff!

From ptanderson.com (great site):

Street date is rock solid for June 24th. The booklet included looks to be 12 pages & should be quite special (with exclusive new artwork by Blake). The original poster may be included as the new cover might possibly be a slipcase (The VHS will use the original theatrical poster). MSRP is $28.96 & the MAP (minimum advertised price) will be $19.95. What does that mean? Expect to find it on sale for around $20 when it's released.

Jon Strong

Agent
12 Pages!!!

Oh man...and also, about him saying the film speaks for itself. I think he means he's going to Let It speak for itself.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
What in the sam hell is 'Blossoms and Blood?'

According to Video Store Magazine:

"...a 12-minute featurette...which includes deleted scenes intercut with the strangely colored scenes of light that appear throughout the film."

--K

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
is the music video for "here we go"(which is on the soundtrack btw), going to be available as an extra? i think i read that it's part of "blossoms and blood"...anyone know for sure?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

the "Here We Go" video is on the Blood and Blossoms Promo DVD (which is one continuous 12 minute stretch that includes deleted scenes, artwork and the video) - so I'm pretty sure it'll be the exact same for the PDL DVD.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Heres some timings from the BBFC database (not much, but it gives some idea of what to expect):

00:07:15:02 | DELETED SCENES #1 - THE SISTERS CALL
00:02:20:17 | DELETED SCENES #2 - ARE YOU FROM CALIFORNIA?

00:02:39:00 | PUNCH DRUNK LOVE - I'VE GONE NATIVE NOW FEATURETTE

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
The fact is, PDL bombed big time at the box office. Columbia probably needs as much money as it can get from the DVD rentals and sales, and there's one sure way of obtaining that: by putting Sandler on the cover. They'll still get their money, even if people hate the film because it isn't dreck like Anger Management.
Not exactly true. It was never intended to make 100 mil like Sandler's other movies. It was releasd small and slow because it was generally regarded as an PTA "art film".

It did about 17 mil domestically. After foreign and video it shoud make a nice little profit since it has a ~25mil budget. Since they never saw it as having "legs" even with Sandler in it it isn't a real disappointment to the studio.

You are correct about putting him on the cover though. they know ther are going to get the dumb rednecks who have no idea what the movie is about to rent it based on Sandler's face alone.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
This is my most anticipated title until LOTR:TTT. I view Magnolia as a modern masterpiece, and was subsequently underwhelmed by Boogie Nights and Hard Eight when I got around to seeing them. Punch Drunk Love, on the other hand, blew me away (not on the level of Magnolia, but I really don't toss around the term "masterpiece" lightly).

Gonna be a long three weeks... I hope some advance reviews get released soon.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
oh, i agree. i don't like to predict the future, but i don't think paul thomas anderson will ever make a film that i love more than magnolia. it's not even that i don't think he can make a better film, because i think he is perfectly capable of doing so. it's just that the film is so personal and dear to me from personal experiences that i've had with bullshit...wow, the more i think about it the more i get chills from the film. and then comes punch drunk love. to me, punch drunk love was a continuation of the optimistic "so now then" epilogue in magnolia...everything about the movie is just so glowingly optimistic and wonderful.

but i digress...i can't wait for the d&d mattress man info-mmercial. :) i'm actually throwing a punch-drunk love appreciation party complete with heart shaped cookies and of course, punch. haha. i am the biggest dork ever. if only i could get a nice wall collage of phone sex ads...:laugh: by the way, did anyone else happen to see the new short movie on ptanderson.com with adam sandler?

(sorry for all the stream of consciousness-but it is a thread about a p.t. anderson film, after all)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this DVD since seeing it in the theatres in October. Comparatively speaking, 8 months is a long time between a theatrical run and the DVD release.
I haven't seen a better film since then.

Only 3 more weeks of waiting left.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I don't say this a lot about a preview, but I'm completely blown away by wahat I have seen. These previews make me really think that this will be one of the best DVDs of the year. I already know that "Punch-Drunk Love" won't be the best one coming out this (That honor will go to "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" Extended Edition, no doubt), but what I have seen so far makes me want to buy this disc more and more. Why another two weeks, God? Why?!

I saw the film only once, and that was on December 20, 2002, so that means that once the movie comes out on DVD, that will make six months and four days since I saw the film and that is just way too long. I NEED TO SEE THE MOVIE AGAIN, ALL READY!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks