What's new

Projector for all viewing usage (1 Viewer)

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
Is it feasible to use a projector for all viewing sources? I have DirecTV, progressive scan DVD and VCR (although that is hardly used). How would the picture quality, reliability, lifespan, etc. be compared to a RPTV or other types of televisions?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
"Is it feasible?"

That may depend if you go crt or digital. For digital, the average bulb lifespan is from 1000-2000 hours with most clocking in around 2000 hours. The average cost for replacement is $200-$400. CRT's don't have these issues but there is gun life and the odd convergence setups to think of and this is expensive also.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.

What is the average gun life for CRT projectors and is the average bulb cost you stated $200-$400 per bulb?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
As far as quality goes, do note that the larger the image, the more noticeable lower quality and lower resolution material becomes. Good processing with your projector with such sources (either internal or external) could mitigate such effects, however. Some of the more recent digital projectors are getting better and better with deinterlacing and scaling lower res interlaced sources (guess what - Faroudja processing). It would be in your best interest to get demos of projectors that includes viewing the types of sources for which viewing will be prevalent for you. What is your estimated budget?

Doug

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
I don't really have a set budget. I'm not rich though. :D Here is a link to one of the projectors I was looking at.
http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/H...M/product.html
As far as demos go I don't really know who sells projectors in my area. I'm sure that I can find some though. Oh, by the way I can spend more than what that unit is listed for. That was just one that I unit I saw.
Thanks

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
We use our projector for all our viewing. Yes, the image from Directv non-HD souces is middle of road interms of quality, but watching sports etc makes it an event. Just ask the fella's watching the Chiefs vs Bronco's game yesterday....to bad it had no bearing on the outcome (my projector plays defense as well as the Cheif's secondary).

Ron

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Don't rule out the Panasonic AE300. Currently, you can only get them overseas, but they should be available in North American in January. It has the same resolution (I think) as the one you linked and same contrast (800:1). It utilizes "smooth screen technology" to reduce screen door to a minimum. The bulb life is 5000 hours (VERY good). It is also native 16:9. Take a look over at AVSForum for more reviews of this, and A LOT of other projectors.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
That Sony looks nice. That price may be doable. Do you know how much the Panasonic is going to go for?

I expected the quality of non-HD DirecTV to be so-so. Would you say that it's any worse than RPTV quality?

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
This site has the Panasonic AE200 + the RP62K DVD player for $1595. The AE300 will probably be the replacement for the AE200.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
I've been doing more reading up about front projectors. The problem I may have that might prevent me from getting a pj is ambient light in the room. I live in a townhouse that has a LOT of windows that are covered with those crappy horizontal blinds. The kind that won't ever block out all the light. Of course no matter where I place the pj the screen will always have some light from mulitple windows. With my current setup my TV always has glare from the windows on the screen unless it's dark outside. It's better if all the blinds are closed all the way but you still get some glare. Would this situation prevent the use of a pj during the daytime? Everyone says that you can use pj's in rooms with some light but how much light is "some light"? Are we talking like a movie theater before the movie starts or can you have more light than that? Blacking out the windows won't be an option because of my roommates bitching.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Yeah, projectors have a hard time competing with ambient light. The issue is no matter how bright the projector is, ambient light will wash out the blacks (especially the shadow detail). Your screen choice and projector brightness will determine how well the image competes with ambient light, but unless your windows can be closed, it's difficult.

I usually watch sports (which tend to be bright) with 3 high wattage recessed lights on, and it works ok. Then again, I'm on a 3000 ANSI lumen projector, on an absolutely tiny 80" gray-based screen.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
Well the windows when the blinds are closed block out a good deal of the light but not all. I was looking to do 80"-100" diagonal, 16:9 screen. I can't afford a 3000 ANSI lumen projector though. I guess if you watch sports with 3 high wattage lights on than I might be able to pull it off. The light we use the most that would affect the pj is a 40 watt incandescent lamp pointed at the ceiling. We do have a higher power recessed light that we use sometimes.

What gain and screen material should I look for? The projectors I'm looking at right now are:

Pansonic AE100-AE300
Sanyo PLV-Z1
Sony VPL-HS10

Do you think with the right screen one of these would be bright enough to compete with some ambient light?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Hmm, what kind of viewing angles do you need? In general, screens that are good at rejecting ambient light tend to have narrower viewing angles.
Something like the Stewart Firehawk (1.35 gain gray/silver based screen) would be ideal for your setup... except for the cost.
In terms of those projectors, make sure you go out and see at least 1 modern LCD and 1 modern DLP projector before you decide. :)

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
The viewing angles aren't that big. I'm not exactly sure what they are but the room is fairly narrow. As for going out and viewing some projectors I'm not sure who in town has them on display. I'm in the Sacramento area. If anyone knows of any companies around here that I can demo at that would be great.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The firehawk is great because as a gray based screen, it increases perceived contrast (a big plus for digital projectors) and it's excellent at rejecting off-axis light.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone used the Dell 3200MP projector? I've been looking at this unit along with the Infocus LP500 (although the specs don't state if it's compatiable with 480i/p video), NEC LT75z, Epson Powerlite 51c/71c. I've also been considering a used Panasonic AE100. The Dell looks very promising but would it be better than the ones I listed? I'm considering these due to the higher brightness ratings for the price (except for the AE100). I'd like to make a purchase very, very soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks