What's new

General Discussion Directv DVR vs Utube tv library (1 Viewer)

Jackva12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hi,
We are 24 year Directv customers. I’m trying to do a compare . We have Netflix, Prime but we record all sports and TCM , A few other “cable” channels. Very little network tv unless it’s sports.
We have TVs in family room, gym room, and an office.
All different eras , All Samsung, two are Smart. Kinda Smart meaning one is pre utube tv so we need a Roku for Utube tv.

In comparing I’ve noticed a few things.

Direct TV remotes are very intuitive, really perfect.
2. Testing utube tv we are Using Samsung remotes and even on a Smart TV are not intuitive and further Samsung has Apps all over the place that can’t be removed. Not user friendly.
3. DIRECTV has setting that allow recording of New Episodes Only whereas Utube tv is busy and records everything.
4. Specific training for each TV and for your IPad or phone is required for Utube TV as the interface is different for each device.
5. Utube broadcast is a higher quality than Directv . It’s 1080 at least Direct seems a tad off.
6. With Utube TV , I can not look ahead at programming on my iPad . Viewing live I need to be on a TV with a remote to view a channels future broadcasting l this is annoying.

I’ve spent 4 days trying to make a decision and it’s hard because it’s not just me living here. I have to support the decision and train my spouse all variation.
Toss in our 2016 Denon surround on the main tv and it’s remote control city.

I’d appreciate any thoughts from DIRECTV users who are hooked on DVRs and might have considered a switch.

I can afford to keep Direct but it seems like Utube tv is very close to working and maybe 40.00 a month cheaper.

Thanks if you have any insights .

Truly a first world problem, I know

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We recently switched from Comcast/Xfinity to YouTube TV. While I cannot offer any comparisons on the DVR functionality (it's something we rarely use), your different interface issues could be solved by attaching a Roku streaming device to each TV. I never use the built-in smart apps on our various TVs. We have four Vizio displays and one Samsung, and each has some type of Roku attached (two Ultras, one 4K Premiere, one 4K soundbar, and one Express). All have the same look and feel with all the streaming apps.

Jackva12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
We recently switched from Comcast/Xfinity to YouTube TV. While I cannot offer any comparisons on the DVR functionality (it's something we rarely use), your different interface issues could be solved by attaching a Roku streaming device to each TV. I never use the built-in smart apps on our various TVs. We have four Vizio displays and one Samsung, and each has some type of Roku attached (two Ultras, one 4K Premiere, one 4K soundbar, and one Express). All have the same look and feel with all the streaming apps.
That’s a great idea., the Rokus. If we stay with it.
The bigger issue front and center is episodes recording that we’ve already seen. Too much thinking “ didn’t we see this episode? “ we watch House Hunters and Shark Tank. As well as other episodic shows. Having to track them and differentiate between when they were recorded (rerun vs First run) is a real bummer.
We are pretty much all DVR , no commercial household.

Thanks for the Roku idea

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks