What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
An oddity for the Uptown. Their projection was as perfect as possible.

Re the non-strip screen, it had a major cross-illumination problem. They should have replaced the strips!
I agree about their projection. In all my decades of visiting the Uptown, I never saw any dust or hair projected on the screen, which amazed me given how large the image was.

As for the cross-illumination problem, maybe I never noticed it because I usually sat dead center in the orchestra.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For some reason Amazon originally listed it at 65 dollars and now it is suddenly 22. I'm wondering what happened.
Amazon probably didn't think anyone would notice -With A Little Bit of Luck ;)! Or they thought it was still a WB release ;)...

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
When I was a kid my family went to DC in the spring of '73. Both 2001 and SOM were playing. I bet 2001 was at the Uptown and SOM was at the Ontario though I'm not sure. I could kick myself for not ditching my family and going to see both of them. I also wish I had gone to see Scorpio at the RKO Keith which I passed in front of. Alas all gone. So close. I did though run off to see Godspell at Ford's Theater.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I was a kid my family went to DC in the spring of '73. Both 2001 and SOM were playing. I bet 2001 was at the Uptown and SOM was at the Ontario though I'm not sure. I could kick myself for not ditching my family and going to see both of them. I also wish I had gone to see Scorpio at the RKO Keith which I passed in front of. Alas all gone. So close. I did though run off to see Godspell at Ford's Theater.
THE Ford’s Theater? It’s good it’s being used.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes. Though it was odd seeing that box next to a hippie musical no matter how family friendly.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
THE Ford’s Theater? It’s good it’s being used.
I remember there was some hullabaloo about it's reopening.
However I believe in the words of Siskel and Ebert "The balcony's closed"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I remember there was some hullabaloo about it's reopening.

I'm a lifelong DC area resident, and it's been open as a regular performing arts venue for my entire span of memory.

It was closed for a period in the 00s for restoration, but that wasn't a long span...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can't see a price of My Fair Lady 4k on Amazon at all! They seem to have pulled their listing.
No worries. We’ve got more than two months for our chances at a Pre-Order. This one is too big not be up and running, again.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm a lifelong DC area resident, and it's been open as a regular performing arts venue for my entire span of memory.

It was closed for a period in the 00s for restoration, but that wasn't a long span...
Way to bring up that I'm older than you -:huh::rolleyes::lol:

Disrepair and restoration​

See also: United States Congress Joint Committee on the Ford's Theater Disaster
On June 9, 1893, the front part of the building collapsed, killing 22 clerks and injuring another 68. This led some people to believe that the former church turned theater and storeroom was cursed. The building was repaired and used as a government warehouse until 1911.

It languished unused until 1918. In 1928,[8] the building was turned over from the War Department Office to the Office of Public Buildings and Parks of the National Capital. A Lincoln museum opened on the first floor of the theater building on February 12, 1932—Lincoln's 123rd birthday.[9] In 1933, the building was transferred to the National Park Service.

The restoration of Ford's Theatre was brought about by the two decade-long lobbying efforts of Democratic National Committeeman Melvin D. Hildreth and Republican North Dakota Representative Milton Young. Hildreth first suggested to Young the need for its restoration in 1945. Through extensive lobbying of Congress, a bill was passed in 1955 to prepare an engineering study for the reconstruction of the building.[10] In 1964, Congress approved funds for its restoration, which began that year and was completed in 1968.

On January 21, 1968, Vice President Hubert Humphrey and 500 others dedicated the restored theater.[11] The theater reopened on January 30, 1968, with a gala performance.[12] The presidential box is never occupied.[13]

The theater was again renovated during the 2000s. It has a current seating capacity of 665.[14] The re-opening ceremony was on February 11, 2009,[15] which commemorated Lincoln's 200th birthday. The event featured remarks from President Barack Obama as well as appearances by Katie Couric, Kelsey Grammer, James Earl Jones, Ben Vereen, Jeffrey Wright, the President's Own Marine Band, Joshua Bell, Patrick Lundy and the Ministers of Music, Audra McDonald and Jessye Norman.[16]

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So TCM has put MFL on a list of films they find problematic. God I hate this nonsense. They treat us like morons. Just show the damn film without apologies. But I guess we're so infantilized today everything has to be spoon fed to us. Will somebody please put adults back on the planet?

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So TCM has put MFL on a list of films they find problematic. God I hate this nonsense. They treat us like morons. Just show the damn film without apologies. But I guess we're so infantilized today everything has to be spoon fed to us. Will somebody please put adults back on the planet?
I didn’t know that had such a list. Got a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks