What's new

Phasing? (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a new Velo HGS-12 (S2) that I've just set up. According to the owner's manual, I should set the phasing to 0 or 180 degrees depending on which is louder. Using the Avia DVD and a Radio Shack audio meter, I ran through the phasing tests. I could hear no difference with my ear between the 0 or 180 setting. The meter seems to favor 180 slightly, but it's such a tiny amount it's really hard to be sure. So does it matter where I set my phasing switch?

- Bill

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
If you are listening to the sub alone (via the LFE output) then it will not make a difference at all.... Phasing of the sub is only affected when you have your other speakers turned-on also at the same time...... In other words, if your main speakers are pulling and your sub is pushing at the same time, then you would somewhat cancel each other out and the perceived bass would be greatly reduced. if they are both pushing or pulling at the same time then you are re-inforcing the bass and should be perceivably louder!
So, use the SPL meter to set the level, not the phasing.

How to set the phase with a 0 or 180 position switch only? easy, put on some bass heavy music (with your L/R speakers on as well as your sub)..... listen, flip the switch, which ever position produces the most audible amount of bass is the correct phase

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
If you are listening to the sub alone (via the LFE output) then it will not make a difference at all.
That doesn't make sense - why would anyone listen to the sub alone? FWIW though, I do listen to my sub via the LFE output, although my other speakers are on at the same time. Can you clarify? BTW - you're probably talking "audiophile", which is why I don't understand! :frowning:
- Bill

Try to get a test tone at or around your sub crossover frequency. Use an SPL meter to measure the level at the location where you sit. It will probably be higher one way or the other. Higher is "in-phase".

It's a little trickier if you run any of your speakers as "large". In that case, you have to judge based on more frequencies, but always from the location where you sit. RTA software like ETF is great for doing these kind of adjustments.

Ron

Geno

Supporting Actor
with one sub, you should keep you phase setting at "0".
phasing is only a factor in the lower frequencies. so if you have one speaker pushing out the LFE, then you wont have another to cancel it.

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
I assumed that perhaps you pulled your sub out of the box, plugged it in, and just listened to it alone before connecting your other speakers along with it. If both mains and sub are running together, you should be able to see a distinct difference on your SPL meter when switching the phase control back and forth

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks