What's new

Petrocelli: The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Only two more episodes to go! I had been limiting myself to one episode per week, but I usually find myself sprinting to the finish line when I get close to finishing a series (I'll probably wrap up Petrocelli this weekend). I think I'm going to put Police Story, Season 2 (which I just purchased) into my Monday night "crime show" slot.

I just concluded Wanted: Dead or Alive (I only had two episodes to go on that 1958-61 CBS B/W Western w/Steve McQueen); as I said earlier, the release is not necessarily finished, as I still have one featurette to see, four colorized episodes, and that St. Louis Bank Robbery film, but I can get to those anytime; the main goal was the completion of that Wanted B/W series, and that has been done.

BTW, you limited yourself to one episode a week of Petrocelli; with Wanted, I limited myself to two shows at a time (except with the 9-episode discs; with those, I saw the first one by itself, and then went to two at a time with the remaining eight on those discs, while the 8-episode discs were two at a time straight through).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll throw in my $.02 worth on Wanted: Dead or Alive. It's a great, fun, series with good stories and production values in half hour episodes.

Things to know:
It stars Steve McQueen
He's a bounty hunter
He has a cool gun
He has a heart (frequently foregoing the reward to help someone)
Lots of cool guest stars (some in early roles): Gloria Talbot, Michael Landon, Alan Hale Jr., Nick Adams, Everett Sloane, George Macready, Warren Oates, James Coburn, and Ralph Meeker to name a few.

Biggest issue: It's a MC release with too many episodes crammed on a disc causing occasional compression issues. Otherwise it looks pretty good, just not what you'd get if it were released by a major. It's absolutely worth the current price and a good choice if you're looking for a "new" western.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've been meaning to ask you Ben, how is Wanted: Dead Or Alive? I've never seen it, so would be a blind buy for me. I need my western fix now that Gunsmoke has been stalled.

I thought it was really good, considering that before I was not the fan of Westerns at all-- the first one I ever got into (and that earlier this year) was Have Gun, Will Travel w/the late, great Richard Boone. I'm working on a third, this one also on CBS like the first two, called The Loner, w/Lloyd Bridges.

Oh, and BTW, a few first-season episodes run only 22 min., possibly due to syndication cuts; thought you'd want to know.

And also, this is the version I have:

wanteddeadoralivecompleteseriesspecialedition.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Just saw that, and I noticed that you said it fell short of having the rewatchability for a permanent place in your collection. Nothing against your opinion, of course (you did say that people's mileage may vary), but I enjoyed the heck out of it, and I thought it was very much worth every penny I paid for it; I thought also (and you might think this a stretch) that it was one of NBC's best series of the 70s, and also that it was one of the best that Paramount was ever behind (another, of course, being O-R NBC Star Trek of the 60s; Paramount getting into that around the middle to bottom of the second season).

Even CHiPs, I gave up on after a while (that one, I started off out of the gate really enjoying, but then it got incredibly out there, if you catch my meaning; hopefully you do).

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This is Sandy Grabman, author of the forthcoming book, 'Petrocelli - An Episode Guide and More', available on December 17 from BearManor Media...the book has a foreword by Barry Newman and looks to be a very valuable book for Petrocelli fans...Sandy works for BearManor Media and is delighted with her fellow BearManor author Chuck Harter's new book on Mr. Novak as well...good reading for great television!
22049812_10155865811369940_3143496036752451860_n.jpg

22448348_1843456099005388_5195072267350625431_n.jpg

7702299.jpg

12400626_1011714242200656_5151347199156309810_n.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is Sandy Grabman, author of the forthcoming book, 'Petrocelli - An Episode Guide and More', available on December 17 from BearManor Media...the book has a foreword by Barry Newman and looks to be a very valuable book for Petrocelli fans...Sandy works for BearManor Media and is delighted with her fellow BearManor author Chuck Harter's new book on Mr. Novak as well...good reading for great television!
22049812_10155865811369940_3143496036752451860_n.jpg

22448348_1843456099005388_5195072267350625431_n.jpg

7702299.jpg

12400626_1011714242200656_5151347199156309810_n.jpg

Noticed that the last shot (Globe-Democrat TV Digest) ID'd Newman as "Berry" Newman, instead of Barry-- wonder why that was.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I disagree with the opinion about Tony and Maggie's relationship. I thought they had wonderful chemistry. Looked like a very loving, playful marriage to me.

Likewise! It seemed that the Petrocellis' relationship was, shall we say, 20 minutes into the future (or a little less) for what Hart to Hart would be on ABC from 1979-84 (and in 8 television films on NBC and The Family Channel [now Freeform] from 1993-96) with Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers (Jonathan and Jennifer Hart, although the Harts weren't an attorney and his wife).

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Interesting responses, and I appreciate anyone who took the time to read the blog. I'm glad I bought it and that I watched all the episodes. It's just one of those shows that, for me, I can't see pulling down from the shelf 6 months or 6 years from now and popping back in. I felt the same way about 'Hotel' - but before anyone thinks this is a VEI thing, 'Angie' and 'The Magician' are both in my collection and not going anywhere.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Petrocelli : San Remo Justice, An Episode Guide and Much More by Sandra Grabman, Foreword by Barry Newman, 163pgs., Index, illustrated w / 50 photos is available on Amazon now as a Kindle download @ $7.82 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VSCYL5

You can read Barry Newman's foreword (Susan Howard and Directors James Sheldon and Sidney Furie, among others, also contributed) and see sample pages on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature...I don't know when Amazon will list the other editions, but the Hardcover ($22.50) and Softcover ($13.50) are available from publisher BearManor Media now http://bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=petrocelli

BearManor currently has a Christmas Sale with 10% off all hardcovers and paper editions till Dec. 10...you can get another 20%, for a total of 30% off, by applying the discount code "twentymore" at checkout...pickup the Mr. Novak book http://bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=mr. novak
or others from their great offerings on TV and Movie related books...I own plenty of their fine publications...

Petrocelli has some shared pedigree with Mr. Novak, as Executive Producer E. Jack Neuman was involved in both series...Chuck Harter, author of the brilliant new Mr. Novak - An Acclaimed Television Series book, assisted Sandy in writing this book on Petrocelli, her favorite show...Sandy previously wrote "Spotlights and Shadows - The Albert Salmi Story"...

514FCoLeqyL.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Petrocelli : San Remo Justice, An Episode Guide and Much More by Sandra Grabman, Foreword by Barry Newman, 163pgs., Index, illustrated w / 50 photos is available on Amazon now as a Kindle download @ $7.82 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VSCYL5

You can read Barry Newman's foreword (Susan Howard and Director James Sheldon, among others, also contributed) and see sample pages on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature...I don't know when Amazon will list the other editions, but the Hardcover ($22.50) and Softcover ($13.50) are available from publisher BearManor Media now http://bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=petrocelli

BearManor currently has a Christmas Sale with 10% off all hardcovers and paper editions till Dec. 10...you can get another 20%, for a total of 30% off, by applying the discount code "twentymore" at checkout...pickup the Mr. Novak book http://bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=mr. novak
or others from their great offerings on TV and Movie related books...I own plenty of their fine publications...

Petrocelli has some shared pedigree with Mr. Novak, as Executive Producer E. Jack Neuman was involved in both series...Chuck Harter, author of the brilliant new Mr. Novak - An Acclaimed Television Series book, assisted Sandy in writing this book on Petrocelli, her favorite show...Sandy previously wrote "Spotlights and Shadows - The Albert Salmi Story"...

514FCoLeqyL.jpg
Been trying to purchase through BearManor, but I'm having major issues-- I add the hardcover edition to the cart (that's the one I want, the $22.50 one), but when I go to check out, the cart insists it's empty! Why?!

(ETA: Never mind-- finally finagled it, and about to make the purchase).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks