What's new

buying shows Sight Unseen on DVD/Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the past week, I Purchased Sam Benedict, Petrocelli and Crime Story. Before buying these complete Series Collections, I had not ever seen them. I Do tend to Like Legal/Police Procedural shows. I Have done this in the past Purchasing Adam 12 and Emergency. (Adam 12 Spun off of Dragnet and Emergency Spun off Adam 12 if my memory is correct) I Enjoyed Adam 12 and Emergency. I would like to find The DA. But Neither Universal nor Jack Webb's estate has released it that I could find. Can anyone tell me anything About Petrocelli or Sam Benedict and Crime Story that they enjoyed. Or Have you ever bought a Series after reading the discription and thought it would be good? Were you pleased? or disappointed?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
John I really enjoyed Sam Benedict because it's from my very favorite era of classic tv. I found Petrocelli both good at times and boring at times. Image and sound are more than decent on both.

I keep meaning to pick up Crime Story although I rarely watch anything from the 80's but I see it cheap just about everywhere. I have too much to watch already so I probably won't.

Regarding your last question. I've had very poor experiences buying classic tv series sight unseen. I have a boatload of shows I posted in some thread here most of which I stalled watching, likely never to complete.

I wish I had known back then that just about everything can be found for sampling on YouTube, DailyMotion, Vimeo and Archive.org.

Hope this helps.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
- The Fugitive
- Mod Squad

I liked the movie with harrison ford, but didn't know it was originally a tv show. Same story with Mod Squad where I saw the 1990s movie, but didn't know it was originally a tv show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not familiar with those specific shows but I can relate to the experience of buying certain shows sight unseen.

Most recently it’s been Ozzie & Harriet, Our Miss Brooks and The Smith Family. The first two I felt reasonably confident I would enjoy so I pulled the trigger on blind purchase on whatever the initial volumes of the show were. The Smith Family is a forgotten Henry Fonda show I had always wanted to see, so when it finally and surprisingly came out in 2020 I just sprung for it.

I’ve done the same for some shows involving people involved with the original Star Trek, like The Lieutenant. Pretty much any show tangentially related to Trek I read about growing up but didn’t have access to. When those things started coming out on DVD, years of anticipation made it easy to purchase. Even when those purchases weren’t great, I appreciated actually knowing what these shows were like after only being able to only read about them.

For newer programming that’s available streaming or older shows that have episodes online, I’ll generally sample before I commit to buying. If it’s just on a service I already have, I’ll usually opt to just watch it there. But if it’s something harder to find and seems up my alley, I’ll take a chance on it.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I bought Petrocelli blind myself, John, and really like the show. Of course, after all this time as an avid TV and movie watcher, most often I can pretty much tell if I'm going to like a show or not, just from reading about it online, or getting a sense of its reputation among like-minded fans on forums like this. Since, like you, I usually greatly enjoy '70s crime/detective shows, I figured Petrocelli would work a treat, and it didn't disappoint. It also helped that I was able to score a copy direct from VEI's website for $20.

More generally, I'd agree with Neal and Josh above...if you're uncertain about a show, try to find a sample episode (or at a minimum, a sample scene) on YouTube, read up on the show in question...try to get a sense of it before you invest in the DVDs. I also often begin by buying only a single season on DVD of a long running series (generally S1), to see if either it still holds up for me (if it was a childhood favorite), or, if it's a blind purchase, to see if it floats my boat enough to want more. The downside to this approach is it can result in me really becoming a big fan of a show and then feeling compelled to order a complete series set down the line, leaving me with extra copies of S1 or 2. (This happened to me with Mannix, for example). And often the Complete Series set is the most affordable option anyway, so it just makes the most sense to snag that version right off the bat.

All in all, I'd say trust your gut. If it seems like a show you think you'd probably like, and the price is right, go for it. If you have any qualms or doubts, maybe give it a pass. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I picked up Lost In Space sight unseen because I’m a big sci-fi fan and thought it would be fun to watch, and boy did that not work out for me - I don’t think I even made it past the second episode. The blu-ray set looked and sounded amazing and the extras were clearly produced with love but I just could not get into it. One night soon after, my mother saw it on the shelf and mentioned with surprise and delight that it had been a favorite of hers growing up. You can guess what was under the Christmas tree for her that year :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd watched Petrocelli during its original airings so knew I liked it. Back than, as much as now, as much for the presence of Susan Howard as the show itself. I liked Petrocelli as it's more a courtroom drama/PI/Mystery type show then police procedural (I tend to not care for those at all). I got as big of a kick out of his beat up truck and watching their house *slowly* rise from the ground as the series proper.

I was 7 when Sam Benedict aired and have never seen it. Sounds interesting an being only a single season I might pick up a copy. Like many shows, especially the more "adult" fare, if I didn't watch it I tend to not remember much, if anything, about it unless it had a catchy theme or name.

Crime Story has a name that immediately turns me off. Sounds like a "cop show" and I've just never much cared for those. I looked up the name and am guessing it's the 1982 series. If so, the theme/genre is nothing I normally watch or like.

Part Two:

I've purchased *lots* of series as a blind buy. Most recently was Public Defender from Classic Flix. I'd read lots of positive comments and it sounded like a lawyer/PI type show so when I asked about S1 in one of the CF threads their rep mentioned they had just got a couple of S1 copies back from vendors (It's OOP) so I quickly snagged a copy. I enjoyed it so much I purchased the 2nd season.

Some newer series I purchased as blind buys are Mad Men (got tired of it by S4 so won't continue), Grimm (tried hard but by the end of S2 I was out), Eureka (Complete series) - but I'd sampled an episode or two first and it feels like something I'd like. Ellen, Weeds, The Walking Dead, and Westworld are all blind buys which came highly recommended where I purchased a single season and didn't like them at all so gave them away. The 4400 because it's SF and was very inexpensive - still haven't watched it. Psych (Complete series) - another I sampled a few episodes and liked well enough to spring for the series. Chuck (complete) because it sounded interesting and was very inexpensive (BL for $5/Season) - I really enjoyed this one. Burn Notice (Complete) solely because it has Bruce Campbell - haven't seen any of this one before.

Classic TV - Danger Man (aka Secret Agent) is one I'd heard of as a kid but had no memories of watching at all. Picked up the entire series and really enjoyed it. Mike Hammer - sounds interesting but still haven't watched it. Frankly, I'll purchase just about *any* BW series, even in genres I don't normally like, because it seems that those often have much better scripts, stories, and production (sets/direction/acting/etc) than the majority of series produced from roughly the mid-70s on.

And many, many British series based on the BBC's "Top 100 Sitcoms" list. I've enjoyed the majority with only a couple I didn't much care for. The UK original version of The Office fell completely flat for me - and I really like the US version. I'll also blind buy most UK mystery series - a genre with which they seem to excel.

I *have* started to look for sample episodes, especially for series from ~2000 onward, before making a purchase more these days simply due to the huge backlog I've accumulated over the years. However, I'm also a rather "opportunistic" purchaser so if something I've never seen in a genre I like comes along at a very good price I'm just as likely to purchase it as not.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I guess I take a "half-full" vs. "half-empty" mentality when it comes to blind-buys. It is true many have not met expectations and ended up being in various degress a waste of money, but if I had to go through those to get to the one's that likely I never would have discovered and that ultimately became true new favorites, I can live with that.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I picked up Lost In Space sight unseen because I’m a big sci-fi fan and thought it would be fun to watch, and boy did that not work out for me - I don’t think I even made it past the second episode. The blu-ray set looked and sounded amazing and the extras were clearly produced with love but I just could not get into it. One night soon after, my mother saw it on the shelf and mentioned with surprise and delight that it had been a favorite of hers growing up. You can guess what was under the Christmas tree for her that year :D

I did like the later movie remake from the 1990s, which I watched in its theatrical run. I wasn't familiar with the original 60s series, and didn't know why the 1998 movie had bad reviews back in the late 1990s. So I saw it fresh without any legacy preconceived perceptions.

Decades later, I picked up the 60s complete series dvd set for $20 as an impulse buy at wallymart. (I wasn't willing to do a blind buy on the bluray set at the time, with the numerous complaints about the crappy packaging scratching/damaging the discs).

I liked the 60s episodes for its cheesy 60s kitsch. But yeah, it wasn't that great of a show watching it now.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Regarding your last question. I've had very poor experiences buying classic tv series sight unseen. I have a boatload of shows I posted in some thread here most of which I stalled watching, likely never to complete.

I am in the same boat myself-- I've stalled on a lot of shows I've gotten the all-in-ones for on DVD; I don't have a very good track record on completion of anything lately.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I guess I take a "half-full" vs. "half-empty" mentality when it comes to blind-buys. It is true many have not met expectations and ended up being in various degress a waste of money, but if I had to go through those to get to the one's that likely I never would have discovered and that ultimately became true new favorites, I can live with that.
I will admit I do many blind buys (I will get to them eventually) but many of them are at thrift shops or used dvd dealers for really low prices. I used to be more picky since I could easily go to a dvd store and get dvds I was on the fence about, but now since you can barely find current releases in person anymore I have more of a get it while you can mentality to thrift store finds.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Indeed-- for all the JAG, Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Miami Vice I've wasted money on, there are things that, over time, became some of the best things I ever did see--

The Streets of San Francisco
M Squad
The Untouchables
Riptide
The Bob Newhart Show
Barney Miller

and now, just a few episodes into the fourth go, Emergency!.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here’s my list of stalled tv series. I’ve updated it and noted the ones I’ve since completed.

1. No designation means viewing in progress.

2. Stalled means I’ve pretty much given up on ever completing.

3. Stalled temporally means I intend to complete watching at some point I think.

4. Stalled (Quality issue) means I might have enjoyed the show but the poor quality stopped me.

Adam 12 Season 1 - Stalled temporally
Alias Smith and Jones - Stalled (Quality issue)
- A Man Called Shenandoah Disc 4 Completed
- Baseball Ken Burns
Bat Masterson - Stalled
Born Free - Stalled
- Bonanza Season 11 Completed
- Champion The Wonder Horse
- Code 3 - Completed
Coronet Blue - Completed
Custer - Stalled (Quality issue)
Dan August - Stalled (Quality issue)
Decoy - Stalled temporally (Audio Quality issue)
Destry - Stalled (Quality issue)
Doris Day Complete Series - Stalled
Dragnet - Stalled temporally
Flipper Season 3 BluRay - Stalled temporally
Gene Autry Season 1 - Stalled
- Gunsmoke Season 19 - Completed
Hazel Season Three - Stalled
High Chaparral Season 3 - Stalled temporally
The Immortal - Stalled
Jack Benny The Best of 30 Episodes - Stalled
Joey Bishop Show - Stalled (Quality issue)
The Lawless Years Season 3 - Completed
The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp Season 6 - Completed
The Little Rascals - Stalled
Longstreet Disc 4 - Completed
Night Gallery Season 2 - Stalled
Mackenzies Raiders - Stalled (Quality issue)
Most Wanted Disc 5 - Stalled temporally
My Three Sons Season 5 Volume 2 Disc 1 - Stalled (Quality issue)
Patty Duke Show Season 1 Disc 5 - Stalled
Petrocelli Season 2 Disc 4 - Stalled temporally
Police Woman Season 2 Disc 3 - Stalled temporally
Police Story Season 3 - Stalled temporally
Porky Pig Warner Bros. Animated Shorts Disc 5 - Stalled
Best of Pete Smith Specialties Volume 1 - Stalled
- Public Defender Season 2 Disc 4 - Completed
- Rockford Files (DVD)
Sid Caesar The Works - Stalled
- State Trooper Season 2
The Smith Family Season 1 Disc 1 - Stalled
The Three Stooges Rare Treasures - Stalled
That Girl Season 1 Disc 3 - Stalled
26 Men - Stalled (Quality issue)
- The Virginian Season 6 - Stalled temporally
- The Young Lawyers Disc 5 - Completed

Enjoy the Super Bowl everyone!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I keep meaning to pick up Crime Story although I rarely watch anything from the 80's but I see it cheap just about everywhere. I have too much to watch already so I probably won't.

Crime Story is from 1986. However, according to the Description, it is set in the 1960's. I noticed when I was reading up on it that The late Dennis Farina is in it. I was in 6th grade in 1986 and somehow missed Crime Story.. it should be interesting

Indeed-- for all the JAG, Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Miami Vice I've wasted money on, there are things that, over time, became some of the best things I ever did see--

The Streets of San Francisco
M Squad
The Untouchables
Riptide
The Bob Newhart Show
Barney Miller

I remember picking up the the Streets of San Francisco after you talked about how good it was, Ben. I watched a few eps and thought it was awesome. I need to pick it back up where I left off. I am really enjoying Sam Benedict and as a Dallas Fan, I love Susan Howard. Knowing she is in Petrocelli is a point in its favor too

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I purchased Barbary Coast blindly because it was Shatner and a western and…let’s just say it was not money well spent :)
So if you had sampled it, you might not have purchased it?

Promise?
icon_e_peace.gif

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The tough thing for me in general is that I tend to find pilot episodes weak compared to the rest of a series, so if a pilot was all I could sample and it’s something I really wanted to try, I wouldn’t necessarily be dissuaded from that. (I also don’t necessarily love supporting pirated copies of shows online - it’s one thing if there’s a licensed copy up on a legit service or if it’s in the public domain. I know that might be a high horse to ride on. I used to work for a small label and I just sympathize with how they’re harmed when their small batch releases get put online for free. End of rant.) But whenever I purchased the disc it hadn’t been pirated online yet. I think I got it used for $10 so in the grand scheme of things - I’ve paid more to go to theaters to see movies I liked less, I can take the hit when it’s that small.

And who knows, maybe one day I’ll give it another shot and be amused by it.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I hear what you’re saying in regards to illegitimate uploads however it’s also the responsibilty of the streaming service to police what they do and do not allow. I for one will rarely use these uploads as a replacement to buy the physical media.

In some cases and I know this to be true, some of the series which I post over here actually encourage sales as it introduces the viewer to something they might never have seen, were curious about, but never purchased until they sampled it.

And yes many of the stalled series I listed above I continue to intend to give another chance, but I know darn well I will not because they're just awful, and I made a mistake with my buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks