What's new

Too Close For Comfort: The Complete Series - April 3, 2024 from VEI (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Surprise release here. Up for preorder

Makes no mention whether these are the edited versions that were released of the first two seasons or anything else, just that the set is "Approx. 44 Hours". And it is VEI, so buyer beware. I know I'll be waiting for a report from a willing volunteer before buying. But, April 3, a long awaited series is getting a release of some kind.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
It’s been awhile since I watched the previously released sets, but as I recall only the Season 1 set’s shows were edited. The Season 2 set was an improvement with both unedited episodes and extras. I doubt the VEI set will include any extras, so even if this new set (hopefully) includes unedited shows, I’ll still keep my Season 2 for those extras.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
If there are new extras, esp. involving the surviving cast, I imagine Ms. Cornell will mention it on her social media pages (unless she doesn't want to seem not "with it" or smth in discussing physical media in such a judgemental environment)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
VEI has been doing a great job with TV on DVD recently. They are pretty much the only company keeping it alive. I'm in for "Too Close For Comfort". Looking forward to it. Only Rhino's First Season set was made up of syndicated episodes. They made sure Season Two were the complete broadcast versions (with a disclaimer on the back of the package). BUT... having the First Season and the rest of the series in complete form will be great. I really hope these look good in this set. I don't need HD episodes but if they are complete and not time-compressed, I will be happy. I recall seeing episodes online that were heavily time-compressed and unwatchable.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Might need to get this set. Was never a huge fan, but do remember watching reruns for quite a few years. And Ted Knight blowing up never ceases to be entertaining.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I didn't realize seasons 4-6 were first run syndication. Don't think I ever saw them. Any good? I believe Ted Knight's health declined quickly during that run.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Hopefully the release isn't too marred, and indeed complete.
Always Love Lydia..... my my my ... always appealing onscreen:+

1711647596342.png

1711647303278.png

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I hope the complete Mr. Belvedere is next. Another series that went to first run syndication.
I would love that too! Unfortunately, MR. BELVEDERE is a 20th Century Fox show which means it is now under Disney's control. Sadly, it means we will not see anymore releases on dvd unless something changes drastically with TV-on-DVD sales and Sony's new agreement with Disney. I guess we're lucky we got the sets that Shout released. It's a shame they had 2 more seasons to go and it didn't get completed.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I didn't realize seasons 4-6 were first run syndication. Don't think I ever saw them. Any good?
The writing staff changed as well as the focus. When the show was on ABC and following “Three’s Company”, the network wanted a lot of focus on the girls and Monroe so that the show would be compatible with its lead-in. But the girls‘ roles became smaller in the first-run syndicated episodes, to the point where Deborah Van Valkenburgh left the show during the fifth season because of frustration with her part. And Lydia Cornell was dropped when the show was revamped for the sixth and final season, which took place in Marin County where Henry purchased half interest in the local newspaper.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I hope the complete Mr. Belvedere is next. Another series that went to first run syndication.
Mr. Belvedere was always on ABC (including the series finale). There were a few unaired episodes that were first seen in syndication but were produced to be aired on ABC.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The writing staff changed as well as the focus. When the show was on ABC and following “Three’s Company”, the network wanted a lot of focus on the girls and Monroe so that the show would be compatible with its lead-in. But the girls‘ roles became smaller in the first-run syndicated episodes, to the point where Deborah Van Valkenburgh left the show during the fifth season because of frustration with her part. And Lydia Cornell was dropped when the show was revamped for the sixth and final season, which took place in Marin County where Henry purchased half interest in the local newspaper.
Thanks! Hmm... sounds like those seasons wouldn't be as interesting then.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I contacted VEI and asked if all the episodes are complete and uncut. No response as usual, which is typical of VEI.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's been so long but I think I recorded these when they ran on Antenna back in the early days. I'm still going to get the set with hopes season one is uncut.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
VEI has been doing a great job with TV on DVD recently.
Agreed. VEI seems is still dedicated to keeping larger studio productions on physical media. It's gotten to a point where I'm happy they get a release at all, even if I still wish they'd cram fewer episodes per disc. Better their way than no way.

But this is no shade on ClassicFlix and others. We still have a few labels who are getting us these shows.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If they were to replace the words “Crunchy Frog” with the legend, “Crunchy, Raw, Unboned Real Dead Frog”, their sales would plummet!

So, in essence, if they told the truth, nobody would want the releases, basically.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm eager for the set to arrived. Mine was shipped. But I'm a little concerned because 44 hours divided by 129 episodes calculates at 20 minutes an episode. Whoa! That's as edited as it could be aside from releasing a DVD set of mini-sodes. Remember when Sony was including those on dvd sets? I never understood the point of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks