What's new

Petrocelli: The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'll throw in my $.02 worth on Wanted: Dead or Alive. It's a great, fun, series with good stories and production values in half hour episodes.

Biggest issue: It's a MC release with too many episodes crammed on a disc causing occasional compression issues. Otherwise it looks pretty good, just not what you'd get if it were released by a major. It's absolutely worth the current price and a good choice if you're looking for a "new" western.

This is the earlier version that I have before Millcreek got their hands on it. It was released by BCI circa 2007.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202134875676?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Season 1 is on 4 flipper discs: 4 episodes on each side, except the last disc has 6 episodes on each side.
Season 2 is on four single-sided discs: 8 episodes per disc.
I don't have season 3, so I don't know the disc count.
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is the earlier version that I have before Millcreek got their hands on it. It was released by BCI circa 2007.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202134875676?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Season 1 is on 4 flipper discs: 4 episodes on each side, except the last disc has 6 episodes on each side.
Season 2 is on four single-sided discs: 8 episodes per disc.
I don't have season 3, so I don't know the disc count.
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That's, IMO, far better packaging than the Mill Creek Special Edition all-in-one that I have. With the one I have, you have to fit all the disc envelopes perfectly into that square indent that holds them, and you have to dig through all the discs to find the specific episode that you want (except if it's on the first disc).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
ETA: got answer just earlier from Sandy; said they were behind in filling orders, and she would let me know when my purchase would be shipped.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It appears to me that the Petrocelli DVD set has gone out of print, at least I don't see it listed anymore on the VEI website and on Amazon it says currently unavailable.

The Petrocelli DVD set that I have is the one with the brown color scheme which I believe is the original issue, later issues of the set VEI changed the color scheme from brown to a silvery/bluish color.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Petrocelli DVD set that I have is the one with the brown color scheme which I believe is the original issue, later issues of the set VEI changed the color scheme from brown to a silvery/bluish color.
That latter one is the one I have.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That latter one is the one I have.
It's a good DVD set, unfortunate though if it's gone out of print.

There's an episode from the 2nd season, I think it's the one titled Terror By The Book, where the audio level is too soft and I have to crank up the volume on the TV. But aside from that, audio levels in the other episodes are crisp and clear, episodes are complete and include the Paramount closing logos.

Petrocelli is a pretty good show, I also enjoy Harry O which ran during the same time 1974-76.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Petrocelli is a pretty good show, I also enjoy Harry O which ran during the same time 1974-76.

Have never seen that latter-- may look into getting the Warner Archive releases thereto (or, if it's released in an all-in-one as has been done with Maverick, may go that route).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It appears to me that the Petrocelli DVD set has gone out of print, at least I don't see it listed anymore on the VEI website and on Amazon it says currently unavailable.

Could the license have expired?

~Ben

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Last night on the DVD I watched a Barnaby Jones episode, one from the 6th season titled Yesterday's Terror, Susan Howard appears in this episode in a post Petrocelli role.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I bought the brown set (both seasons) in early 2017 and I have really enjoyed it. The episodes are mostly good. I've watched the set twice since buying it and this thread popping up puts me in mind to watch it again. Sorry to hear it's out of print.

Here's the set I bought, available for less than I bought it for. I recommend the show.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
There is always that... that's why some of us buy two copies, in case one breaks down early, depending on the price.

~Ben
The Bill Cosby Show sitcom from the late 60's/early 70's is another show that as far as I know the DVD's of both seasons are no longer in print. Season 2 seems to be nearly impossible to find now. I have both seasons and especially glad to have season 2 since that's the really rare one now.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Bill Cosby Show sitcom from the late 60's/early 70's is another show that as far as I know the DVD's of both seasons are no longer in print. Season 2 seems to be nearly impossible to find now. I have both seasons and especially glad to have season 2 since that's the really rare one now.

Where did you get them?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Where did you get them?
Season 1 was a retail release, if I remember correct I purchased it at a Best Buy store. The 2nd season was released as part of Shout Factory's Shout Select program so I ordered it directly from Shout.

It Takes A Thief with Robert Wagner is another DVD set that's out of print. I didn't get a set until after it had gone out of print so I paid a little more for it than I would have liked to, but I'm glad I have it now.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Season 1 was a retail release, if I remember correct I purchased it at a Best Buy store. The 2nd season was released as part of Shout Factory's Shout Select program so I ordered it directly from Shout.

It Takes A Thief with Robert Wagner is another DVD set that's out of print. I didn't get a set until after it had gone out of print so I paid a little more for it than I would have liked to, but I'm glad I have it now.

--Per the first: as you said earlier, glad you have it now to enjoy, instead of having to worry about it being out of print and being unable to even procure it.

--Per the second: it may have cost a pretty penny when you got it (being OOP), but I'm pleased that you can enjoy it, coasters and all (that all-in-one did have coasters with the series title on it, and a senotype of a scene from the show, IIRC).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
--Per the first: as you said earlier, glad you have it now to enjoy, instead of having to worry about it being out of print and being unable to even procure it.

--Per the second: it may have cost a pretty penny when you got it (being OOP), but I'm pleased that you can enjoy it, coasters and all (that all-in-one did have coasters with the series title on it, and a senotype of a scene from the show, IIRC).
The DVD set of It Takes A Thief has one of the oddest packaging styles but it's a nice set. As you mentioned, a few extra items are included such as the coasters and senitype, there's also a booklet that has information about the show. Episodes don't appear to be remastered but they are complete, and some 3rd season episodes have the "It Takes A Thief In Color" bumpers at the start of the episode.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
As you mentioned, a few extra items are included such as the coasters and senitype

Senitype-- that's the spelling. Thanks for the correction-- that release was off my radar for the longest time, so I forgot how it was spelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks