What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PATTY DUKE SHOW - Coming in September (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael,

Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated.

I wonder if that technique was ahead of its time in 1963? Just curious.

I too taped the episodes in EP. I have the complete series on (I think) six VHS tapes. Depending on which VCR I use, they play cleanly ... or not. ;)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
OK, TVShowsOnDVD has addressed the issue of the correct number of episodes on the set, and now the article and the press release from Shout both say 36 episodes (the complete first season), so we can rest easy.

TVShowsOnDVD said they received a lot of e-mails about this. I never e-mail any websites or companies... I just complain on this forum since I know it's very widely read.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I wouldn't say it was ahead of it's time. But matting was more expensive to do and was generally avoided, especially for TV. But it makes sense they would do something extra, effects wise for the pilot.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

None of the tricks used in "The Patty Duke Show" were ahead of their time. They were just done very well.

I remember seeing a Mary Pickford movie from the teens once where Mary, a tiny woman who wasn't even five feet tall, effortlessly played both a child and the child's mother. At one point, Mary the child kisses Mary the adult on the cheek. It was an asoundingly effective shot even by today's standards. And there were many other shots that rivalled anything in The Patty Duke Show or The Parent Trap.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here's a look at the inside packaging. I really like the little booklet that came with it. It contains lots of publicity stills from the show and an episode guide with credits, synopsis, and trivia. I'm showing the back of the box because you've probably already seen what the front looks like.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Very nice! Can't wait to pick this up. I'm glad they did a booklet. The 2nd and 3rd seasons of Father Knows Best didn't have one but the first season did. Hopefully, they will continue this trend with the next 2 seasons.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That's a very nice review.

This show is a must-have for our family. When it aired on Nick, I taped every episode of the series. Although I believe I got many of them uncut, I won't know for certain until I see this set. Additionally, the sound for the transfers from t.v. to tape is a bit muffled for several episodes, requiring us to turn up the volume. Hopefully, the audio will be crisp and clear with this DVD set.

Amazing how 'normal' Patty Duke appeared in this show, given what she had to deal with off set.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I placed my order over the weekend and just wanted to pass along that DeepDiscount is selling this for $25.43 (approximately $10 less than lowest price listed on Mike and Patrick's Weekly RoundUp thread.) As always, YMMV, but for me the additional savings at DD offset the potential (hit-or-miss) delivery delay.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Got mine from Deep Discount with expedited shipping. It shipped last week and arrived today (Monday) so I beat the street date by one day.

Scott, just for your information. At it's Nick At Nite premiere The Patty Duke Show was edited to 24 minutes (more or less a minute of cuts). After a couple runs, the shows were cut down to 22 minutes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I had ordered mine months ago from DD at the $25 price with free shipping and mine showed up yesterday as well. Very nice packaging with the little booklet like Ron showed us. I've yet to have a chance to pop in disc 1 and watch a couple of episodes, but today I should be able to do that. Nice to get something a day ahead of release date for once. I usually get my pre-orders a few days after the official release date.

Gary "looks like another nice job by Shout Factory" O.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Anyone know why the audio is so wonky on this series? This has been mentioned in more than one of the reviews I've read. Many years ago someone taped a bunch of Patty Duke episodes for me off Nick at Nite , and I had to crank the sound up then to hear the dialogue. I figured this would not be a problem on the DVDs but the levels are still very inconsistent, and at times it sounds like the cast is talking to each other inside a tunnel. However, I'm still delighted to finally have this on DVD and look forward to future releases.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
That's a great question, David. I've been wondering the same thing. The set's visual presentation is pretty consistent so far IMO (I'm on disc two). It's not what I would exactly call stellar, but it is consistent and very serviceable. The audio, on the other hand, is all over the map. I'm not complaining mind you. I'm just happy to have this show at all on DVD and I commend SHOUT! Factory for the swell packaging and using (what appears to be for the most part) uncut episodes. I have noticed a quick fade-to-black on a couple of episodes right before the closing credits but I am guessing that may be the result of eliminating a sponsor tag or something. Overall, I am thrilled to once again experience Patty Duke's delightful performance in the dual lead role!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Yes, the first season Patty Duke shows had a "The Patty Duke Show is brought to you by..." voiceover at the end of the tag. The tags are shown (with a few of the commercials) on the Patty Duke laserdisc.

But on TV and on DVD they fade out before the voiceover tag.

Originally Posted by pitchman

That's a great question, David. I've been wondering the same thing. The set's visual presentation is pretty consistent so far IMO (I'm on disc two). It's not what I would exactly call stellar, but it is consistent and very serviceable. The audio, on the other hand, is all over the map. I'm not complaining mind you. I'm just happy to have this show at all on DVD and I commend SHOUT! Factory for the swell packaging and using (what appears to be for the most part) uncut episodes. I have noticed a quick fade-to-black on a couple of episodes right before the closing credits but I am guessing that may be the result of eliminating a sponsor tag or something. Overall, I am thrilled to once again experience Patty Duke's delightful performance in the dual lead role!

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
That was a great laserdisc set, wasn't it? Uncut episodes plus the commercials Patty Duke shot in character(s) during the show. I don't recall the audio being as inconsistent either, but admittedly it has been many years since I watched a laserdisc.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I have the disc set but one of the sides has laser rot. Plus it's been a while since I plugged in the laserdisc player and I don't know if it works anymore. Someday I hope to trade for a DVD copy of it. Yes, I remember the audio being okay.

Originally Posted by DaveHof

That was a great laserdisc set, wasn't it? Uncut episodes plus the commercials Patty Duke shot in character(s) during the show. I don't recall the audio being as inconsistent either, but admittedly it has been many years since I watched a laserdisc.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I recorded all 104 uncut Patty Duke shows from Chicago's Me-TV, Me-TOO, and THIS-TV. I then made a 26 DVD set of the complete series, quality is superb. I also have the original pilot for the series and the 1999 reunion movie Still Rockin In Brooklyn Heights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks