What's new

Panny Plasma (1 Viewer)

Cory Cooper

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,

1. 37" vs 42" - My current viewing distance is 6.75- 7'...could go to a max of 7.5-8'. Which size is better? What is most agreed upon viewing distance - 2x or 3x diagonal measurement?
2. ED vs HD - With the current price reductions, the price differences are approximately: 37" $1700, 42" $2300 between the ED and HD of same size.

I am leaning towards the 37" Panny TH-37PX25U/P. I have only seen the 42" ED & HD and the 37" ED in person, but can get the 37" HD. At about 7' (as viewed in store), I can see the SDE on the ED easily and I can see the pixel structure faintly on the HD 42". The HD's are much sharper to my eyes on an HD signal...color/contrast/blacks all look the same. I watch mostly (Comcast Digital Platinum package w/Motorola HDTV STB) digital movie cable channels, HD channels, and DVD's (more than 60% of my viewing) -- not much standard cable.

I previously owned a Mit WS-48511 WS HD RPTV, but sold it to a friend. I really wanted a plasma and it was too large for my room. Currently, I am using an old 20" Proton! (I know, I know!)

Any recommendations, comments, suggestions are more than welcome. I know these topics have been talked to death, but the more info I have, the better decision I can make. I really value everyone's discussion here.

Thanks in advance,

Cory

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you've answered your own question (as it should be since you're buyin' :) ) The 37" HD unit would be OK at 7' but the 42" version would give you more of the theater/immersive effect. I view a 42" HD PDP from about 10' and it's great.....however, the next unit will be 50" :D

Mort

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm getting a 42" ED Panasonic delivered in the morning. I'll let you know what I think when I get it but what led to my decision was:

1. I have about a 6-7 ft. viewing distance. "42 was the most theater like experience while still being comfortable. "50 just looked crazy.

2. Panasonic has the best black level and therefore the most 'true' look.

3. HD costs about $1500 more and the resolution is so high it makes cable and dvds look bad. I don't know about you but I'm getting a plasma to ENHANCE my dvds, not make them obsolete. My ED set will be perfect for dvds and still handle the HD broadcasts through my cable box.

Cory Cooper

Auditioning
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. javascript:smilie(':)')

Mort:

At your 10' viewing distance, the viewing angle is 17.3º for your 42" (20.6º for your future 50"). At my 7' viewing distance, the viewng angle will be 21.7º on a 37", so wouldn't my setup seem more immersive in my room than yours? javascript:smilie(';)')

Jonathan:

1. My visual acuity is very high, so the screen door effect is very noticeable on 37/42" ED's at 6-8'. I agree 50" would be crazy.

2. I agree - Panny's blacks are awesome.

3. Understood about the DVD's. I think they look great on HD sets, but a little better on ED. I am also upgrading my DVD player to an upscaling (480p to 1080i) model that will narrow the gap a little.

Thanks again,

Cory

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

If you say so :) My panel replaced a 27" tube so, for a while, it seemed huge. It shrunk over the last year. Hmmm, maybe if I moved the seating up a couple of feet it'd grow back to the original size. I guess my point is, you won't be sorry getting the larger display.

My wife was the deciding factor on going HD vs ED as she could see the SD from 7-10 measured feet. DVD's are stunning as is HD cable. The SD channels above 100 are pretty close to DVD quality (depending on the broadcast) so I don't buy the ED being better at displaying lower quality signals.....at least it hasn't been my experience.

Mort

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I got my plasma this morning!

First thoughts: I'm a little too close to it. I should move my couch back a foot or two but I'm afraid it would block the doorway to the living room.

At this size and this close, I now understand edge enhancement. DVDs are VERY good, some like LOTR and Indiana Jones were PHENOMENAL. Films fared much better than tv with even Looney Tunes showing up the Simpsons. The progressive scan makes a HUGE difference.

Digital cable is softer with edge enhancement. HD channels seemed to do NOTHING but give me letterboxes on all four sides (more tweaking I think. The dvd is taking up the component so HD in my cable box is using S-video. I'd need to buy a DVI card to upgrade the signal. Worth it?

Kin

Agent
Hi Jonathan_Clarke,
DVI is what you want to use for HD. The card you need is the TY-42TM6D. Not many people have them now. We have very few left.

Kin Beliakoff

1(888)286-5353 EXT 522
[email protected]
tvauthority.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks