What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Poltergeist (1982) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
The warnings are for people with epilepsy. The tv flicker during the opening scene is enough to induce and epileptic seizure.
Was this warning marketing ever on any other media release of this title?

I ask because that's precisely why I mentioned it in my post -- if it was referring to JUST this new 4K release, it didn't seem (to ME) that the warning was warranted because it didn't come across as significantly brighter than previous editions. Now, again, this could absolutely be a matter of my particular gear -- my display puts out a max of around 800 nits, so while it's a decent HDR portal, it's not what you'd call an eye-searing "light cannon." Additionally, I am using my Panasonic UHD BD player's "HDR Optimizer" function, which handles internal tonemapping before it gets to a display for more accurate HDR rendering based on the display that's connected; in the case of my Samsung 8 Series LCD, I have the player set to a "Medium/High Luminance LCD" adjustment for the HDR Optimizer, and this tonemaps high nit content down to 1000 nits, where at that point my Samsung takes over tonemapping duties.

I only bring this up as a possibility for why the HDR highlights on Poltergeist didn't really wow me as much as everyone else and for why I didn't personally think the warning stickers were necessary (the sequence in which Carol Anne's closet gets super bright as they attempt to pull her in was, admittedly, glaringly punchy) -- however, I haven't studied the nit output numbers for this disc, so I am uncertain exactly what my player was doing via the Optimizer, if anything, to affect the picture.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
In wake of Incredibles 2, we can expect to see epilepsy warnings on any content with bright flashing lights for the same reason that McDonald's coffee cups say "Caution: Hot!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In wake of Incredibles 2, we can expect to see epilepsy warnings on any content with bright flashing lights for the same reason that McDonald's coffee cups say "Caution: Hot!"
I don't think that's quite the same. Anyone ordering hot coffee should know it's hot, but someone won't know if a film has effects that will trigger a seizure if they've never seen it before.

It's also possible that watching in 4K UHD with HDR may make the colors and flashes more intense than on prior releases, hence the new warning.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't think it's quite the same thing. If someone buys a hot coffee, it's reasonable to assume that they are (or should be) aware that it's hot (it's what they asked for). But when someone buys a movie, they don't necessarily have any forewarning that it has sequences that might trigger a seizure.

Now, if I had epilepsy that would be triggered by this sort of thing, I wouldn't buy (or go to see) a movie unless I made sure in advance that the movie I wanted to see wouldn't have that affect on me. But I'm not everybody. Someone else who doesn't know that Poltergeist or The Incredibles 2 or whatever else (Alien?) has such sequences might have a problem. I don't see that such a warning is unwarranted.

On edit: Looks like Malcolm and I had the same response.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I was being purposefully vague. Both of you missed my point and, in a way, made it for me at the same time ;)

Suffice to say: corporations generally don't like to get sued or pay money to plaintiffs' attorneys. Hence, large, conspicuous warnings.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Huh?

You mean you have it on your 4K shopping list and you plan on buying it in November on 4K?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
My wife has epilepsy and as such, has to be cognizant of flashing or strobing lights and effects in movies. HDR grading doesn’t make a difference.
Okay -- and my sincere sympathies to you and your wife, honest -- but that's why I asked if this warning was slapped on any other media release of this title, ever. If the HDR grading isn't what is making it worthy of having a warning sticker, with all due respect, what exactly WAS it that prompted them to do it?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Just as an update regarding my new copy of the disc....watched it all the way through last night and still no issues with this one. I will give it a third spin at some point before the spooky season is over to ensure it's a keeper.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Gave this a final spin for the season, being that I originally received a defective copy from Best Buy, to see if it would act up after three plays (because many times this happens with UHD media for some reason), and it played with no issues.

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks