What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Poltergeist (1982) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Back on topic: if the HDR grade on this is as good as I'm hearing, it shall be mine.
Stephen,

Where did you hear about the HDR grade or anything else about the transfer? Was it somewhere earlier in the thread and I just missed it, or did you read about it somewhere else?

I didn't see any pre-release reviews online the last I checked, but perhaps they're out there now...

EDIT: Just did some Googling and found some reviews; things seem promising upon first glance....

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So, has anyone watched this new 4K disk and can comment on the new transfer?
Here, let me Google that for ya ;) :

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here, let me Google that for ya ;) :

Right, most non-reviewers are still waiting to receive these September 20th releases.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Good to hear Poltergeist looks good inspite of being shot in *ugh* J-D-C.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Safe to assume it will be better. ;)
Hey....you never know!

We had that debacle where Disney completely f---ed up the 4K transfer of Pirates of the Caribbean (imagine that?) and folks immediately recommended sticking to the 1080p Blu-ray for "superiority."

I realize that's a 1080 vs. 2160 comparison, not of a DVD, but...

But what I essentially meant was that I'm looking forward to seeing just how much better the image pops, if some of the issues like the horrid-looking opening titles were fixed, etc.

Couldn't watch it last night because we had to rush our dog to the vet for an overnight visit.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Watched it last night, and don't really understand the need for the warnings all over the packaging regarding the light effects that may cause issues in certain people with vision/balance/dizziness impairments and such; the HDR pass was bright in certain places, yes, but not anything I'd call excessive compared to some other transfers with light cannon numbers (Aquaman, Gemini Man, et al). Also coming into play here may have been the fact that my Panasonic Blu-ray player's "HDR Optimizer" was active for this HDR10 grading, and this could have rendered any explosive, over-the-top highlights a bit tamer to correspond to my LCD's peak performance abilities.

The print itself starts off looking a little rough during the opening "E-Boz snoops around the house" sequence -- it looked like DVD-to-BD quality to my eyes during this scene. Once the action shifts outdoors and some otherworldly events begin occurring, things brighten up and 4K-like detail rises significantly. This still isn't a jaw-dropping reference transfer, and it doesn't seem like Warner put in as much effort for this catalog title compared to, say, The Shining on 4K Blu-ray, but it trumps the original DVD I've been living with for years, especially in the opening title sequence, which was RIDDLED with nasty artifacts, noise and more on the DVD. That's all gone on this new disc.

To my ears, when it comes to the audio, the DVD's Dolby Digital remix seemed louder and more aggressive than the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track we get on the UHD Blu -- the track is super quiet in the beginning of the film, rendering dialogue a bit stuffy and difficult to discern. Once the film picks up, though, you can make out the benefits the lossless mix brings to the proceedings -- less harsh effects stingers, slightly punchier LFE, cleaner panning around the soundstage and more. Towards the end, when all hell is breaking loose at the house, the mix roars to life without any volume issues.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Watched it last night, and don't really understand the need for the warnings all over the packaging regarding the light effects that may cause issues in certain people with vision/balance/dizziness impairments and such
The warnings are for people with epilepsy. The tv flicker during the opening scene is enough to induce and epileptic seizure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks