What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Poltergeist (1982) (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Agreed. It's almost impossible today to watch anything streaming that isn't prefaced by an advisory about strobing effects.
...or possible elements that will "trigger" folks not used to uncensored forms of so-called "sensitive" content (as seen with the warnings channels like TCM puts out when showing classics like Gone With the Wind)...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
The descriptions of why Tobe was not directing the film make me wonder if some of the same people would say that some of the Marvel directors with less of a personal touch didn't actually direct their films because Feige can have a heavy hand.

It'd be one thing if we didn't have another example of Hooper directing an effects movie, but the man made Lifeforce, which is officially batshit insane. Even if Spielberg knew what he wanted, Hooper knew horror. I'm not going to take away his credit for what was a very successful collaboration between two pop filmmakers.

One man's opinion.

Regardless of any of that, I'm both happy to see the film come to 4K and think that the steelbook art is both bad and way too spoilery.
The artwork on both the steelbook AND slipcase variants is terrible -- I ordered the slipcase version, which is gearing up to be shipped.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Received my review copy today. Warner is really covering their butts with all the strobing effects in the film with disclaimers on the front of the slip cover, the back cover, and even a separate insert.
View attachment 153461 View attachment 153460
View attachment 153462
WOW -- that's just nuts. I assume they put this warning there because the HDR pass is kind of on the high side for this?

Looking forward to getting this and seeing just how well this blows the original MGM/Warner anamorphic DVD out of the water (that disc was a visual travesty); hopefully, it wasn't screwed up like Friday the 13th apparently was...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
...or possible elements that will "trigger" folks not used to uncensored forms of so-called "sensitive" content (as seen with the warnings channels like TCM puts out when showing classics like Gone With the Wind)...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Incidents of that might be around, but I rarely see that sort of advisory. Especially when films where that's the case aren't overly common on streaming platforms.

But the advisory about strobe effects seems to be on virtually every series I watch streaming.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Incidents of that might be around, but I rarely see that sort of advisory. Especially when films where that's the case aren't overly common on streaming platforms.

But the advisory about strobe effects seems to be on virtually every series I watch streaming.
Well, I was referring more to the way -- and I should have made this clearer, granted -- cable or satellite providers are now including these trigger warnings for a younger generation that can't handle subjects such as slavery or sexual assault (in older films, mind you) in the plot descriptions when you pull up the info bar on the cable box, etc. I see it all the time on old titles via our Cox service, and it's just laughable.

I have noticed on-screen warnings of this type before a feature starts, as well, on channels like the aforementioned TCM, but it's mostly part of the plot description when the info is pulled up via the box or other device.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I was referring more to the way -- and I should have made this clearer, granted -- cable or satellite providers are now including these trigger warnings for a younger generation that can't handle subjects such as slavery or sexual assault (in older films, mind you) in the plot descriptions when you pull up the info bar on the cable box, etc. I see it all the time on old titles via our Cox service, and it's just laughable.

No different than the group who insisted all TV programs get ratings so parents knew what was coming to "save the children." And movie ratings. And the explicit stickers on music. And the way there are radio edits vs. original tracks. And TV cuts of movies vs. the original cuts.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
No different than the group who insisted all TV programs get ratings so parents knew what was coming to "save the children." And movie ratings. And the explicit stickers on music. And the way there are radio edits vs. original tracks. And TV cuts of movies vs. the original cuts.
No...what I am referring to is very different from those examples.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I know exactly what you're referring to and they are 100% the same thing.
One hundred percent they are not. Not even in the same stratosphere of relevance -- warning "brittle/sensitive" types about content they may not be able to handle because....what exactly?

Give me a break.
Second, what you are referring to is not allowed under HTF rules, so probably best to stop this convo before it gets out of hand.
What's not allowed?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
One hundred percent they are not. Not even in the same stratosphere of relevance -- warning "brittle/sensitive" types about content they may not be able to handle because....what exactly?

Give me a break.
Welp, agree to disagree. I won't convince you and you sure won't convince me.

What's not allowed?
This is bound to bump into the politics field, with some personal insults thrown in for good measure.

Have a nice day.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Posting political diatribes that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. That's very clearly against forum rules.
Political diatribes? Really, Josh? I was commenting about certain warnings that have been slapped on cable transmission plot descriptions that are meant to soften an emotional blow for people who cannot "handle" them, and in what way is that POLITICAL? I didn't say anything remotely resembling politics...

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Welp, agree to disagree. I won't convince you and you sure won't convince me.

This is bound to bump into the politics field, with some personal insults thrown in for good measure.

Have a nice day.
No, you sure won't convince me. The inclusion of those "warnings" is an absolute joke and is completely unrelated to warnings about explicit lyrics or any other such reference.

This wasn't going anywhere near politics, unless someone wanted to specifically take it there, and I wasn't prepared to throw any insults at anyone, so not sure why you're assuming that.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No, you sure won't convince me. The inclusion of those "warnings" is an absolute joke and is completely unrelated to warnings about explicit lyrics or any other such reference.

This wasn't going anywhere near politics, unless someone wanted to specifically take it there, and I wasn't prepared to throw any insults at anyone, so not sure why you're assuming that.

oVxU7nE.gif

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Political diatribes? Really, Josh? I was commenting about certain warnings that have been slapped on cable transmission plot descriptions that are meant to soften an emotional blow for people who cannot "handle" them, and in what way is that POLITICAL? I didn't say anything remotely resembling politics...

I think we all know what "people who cannot 'handle' them" is code for.

snowflakes.gif

If your intent wasn't political, then why do you think those warning labels were put on such content? And why do you think they shouldn't be put on there?

Actually, don't answer that. This thread has been derailed enough.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I think we all know what "people who cannot 'handle' them" is code for.

View attachment 153725
You're the one who just made that political -- not me. I didn't say anything about "snowflakes," I merely likened the warnings being talked about to the kind being splashed all over cable transmissions nowadays via channel scheduling menus.
If your intent wasn't political, then why do you think those warning labels were put on such content? And why do you think they shouldn't be put on there?

Actually, don't answer that. This thread has been derailed enough.
I stand by what I said. I didn't insinuate anything political, nor did I intend to direct the thread that way. I merely observed something. And, to answer your question, it's not necessary to put those warnings on those plot description displays because it's just ridiculous...these are classic films that have stood the test of time, and there's no reason for channels to feel as if some folks are going to be so up in arms about the content that they need to put disclaimers on the plot descriptions so there are no thermal meltdowns. It's just ridiculous, and doesn't have anything to do with politics.

But, we can indeed get back onto the subject of the thread -- I am very much looking forward to this 4K release so I can finally retire my snappercase flipper disc DVD that looks mega-atrocious from the opening titles onward, pretty much. I hope the transfer doesn't get mucked up, though, like reviews are saying Paramount did with Friday the 13th....

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Indeed, I have attempted to move on...I'm looking forward to running this disc through its paces when I receive it. Hope the transfer is solid and the HDR pass is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks