What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Poltergeist (1982) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
i thought it had been pretty widely believed that Spielberg himself may have put the kibosh on an elaborate special edition, as supposedly some years back WB was planning one. Perhaps Spielberg didn‘t want to tread on the issue of who “really” directed. There are plenty of people who were involved in the production who were willing to talk about it, I remember E! did a True Hollywood story on the movie that had involvement from cast/crew. Also aren‘t there some deleted scenes? The full “I hate Pizza Hut“ exchange etc.

I know this aired in early tv broadcasts and it probably how many people saw it for the first time

I saw that E! True Hollywood Story episode back in the early 2000's and I don't remember it going too much in detail about the production of the film, mostly just all of the problems that happened.

I never knew there are deleted scenes from this movie, more is known about the curse than any actual behind the scenes information, such as how did they film the face peeling scene?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I saw that E! True Hollywood Story episode back in the early 2000's and I don't remember it going too much in detail about the production of the film, mostly just all of the problems that happened.

I never knew there are deleted scenes from this movie, more is known about the curse than any actual behind the scenes information, such as how did they film the face peeling scene?

Supposedly the initial cut got (or would have got) an R rating. For example it was much more clear initially that Diane was raped in the climax (though I could see why that wouldn’t be include as an extra on a PG rated movie). There was also a scene (though I don’t know for sure how much of it was actually shot (I’ve seen articles about it with photos) where that black spot on the wall (the one the dog barks at earlier in the movie) comes to life and webs out across the wall.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Supposedly the initial cut got (or would have got) an R rating. For example it was much more clear initially that Diane was raped in the climax (though I could see why that wouldn’t be include as an extra on a PG rated movie). There was also a scene (though I don’t know for sure how much of it was actually shot (I’ve seen articles about it with photos) where that black spot on the wall (the one the dog barks at earlier in the movie) comes to life and webs out across the wall.

This is stuff that should be included in a well put together making of documentary.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
From the first trailer. Embarrassing for Tobe.
Screenshot_20220730-165902_Messages.jpg

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
it's one of the greatest horror movies of all time I watched the true hollywood story about the curse of poltergeist,they were troubles off the set,which bothers me, i watched this movie every halloween.it was a 80's classic.

white vader

Agent
Real Name
Matt
That clip is funny - can't quite recall but weren't the hands ripping at the very fake head Spielberg's?

Also, being in the industry I asked the obvious question myself about Poltergeist. And despite all the obvious Spielberg/Indiana Jones type shots in it, just wanted the straight dope so to speak. And yep, turned out (according to one of the sups on it) that Hooper had a wicked coke habit at the time and the beard did indeed direct much of it, unofficially as others have said.

Which puts a whole spin on Hooper's strange many/repeated jokes about "I had a coke habit no no I mean Coca Cola haha" in interviews and commentaries...

Anyway I don't mind who did in the end. Love TCM, love Poltergeist, love Spielberg's stuff. But I just wanted to know. And the guy I asked would absolutely know/was there.

For what it's worth/my 2c.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Received my review copy today. Warner is really covering their butts with all the strobing effects in the film with disclaimers on the front of the slip cover, the back cover, and even a separate insert.
Poltergeist-front-sleeve.jpg Poltergeist-back_cover.jpg
Poltergeist-insert.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Has anyone had ever had a seizure watching this movie before, I think it would have made the news just like Poke'mon did with the Porygon episode.
No, but ever since The Incredibles 2, studios and streaming services have been very cautious about anything with even a hint of strobing effects.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Also, not listed anywhere in the press release, the Blu-ray appears to have been remastered based on the disc author date of 7/22/2022.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
The descriptions of why Tobe was not directing the film make me wonder if some of the same people would say that some of the Marvel directors with less of a personal touch didn't actually direct their films because Feige can have a heavy hand.

It'd be one thing if we didn't have another example of Hooper directing an effects movie, but the man made Lifeforce, which is officially batshit insane. Even if Spielberg knew what he wanted, Hooper knew horror. I'm not going to take away his credit for what was a very successful collaboration between two pop filmmakers.

One man's opinion.

Regardless of any of that, I'm both happy to see the film come to 4K and think that the steelbook art is both bad and way too spoilery.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The descriptions of why Tobe was not directing the film make me wonder if some of the same people would say that some of the Marvel directors with less of a personal touch didn't actually direct their films because Feige can have a heavy hand.

But was Kevin Feige on set working with the cast and crew?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also, not listed anywhere in the press release, the Blu-ray appears to have been remastered based on the disc author date of 7/22/2022.

It is a new disc. Not available solo.

It includes a trailer and a vintage featurette not on the original BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks