What's new

My Plasma is dead...time for a new TV (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
This morning my 2012 era Panny 46 inch ST30 series plasma made a loud popping noise and went off. Won't come back on, although the red power light is lit. Figure it's time for a new TV.

Have spent the morning surfing the net, looking for a replacement, subject to the following:

1- Can't be over 50 inches as we have a heirloom oak TV armoire that houses our TV in the living room. My wife will NOT give this up (it is gorgeous and we get more compliments on the armoire than we ever will on a TV).
2- 4k with HDR so I'm future proof as can be.
3- $1000 budget, less if possible. While I'd love to go OLED, my kids college tuition is a little more important right now.

After my research, I've narrowed my list to:

1- Sony X900E, 49 inch, $949 at Best Buy
2- Vizio M-Series, 50 inch, $579 at Costco and Best Buy
3- Samsung XU7000, 49 inch, $599 at Best Buy
4- Samung XU8000, 49 inch, $999 at Best Buy

My first impulse is the Sony, but in looking at them side by side at Best Buy today and comparing specs, I'm just not sure if its $400 better than the Vizio. We mainly watch TV content (Directv), blu-rays (I'm not upgrading to UHD discs), and streaming (Netflix, Amazon). I'd say about 80% TV, 15% discs, 5% streaming.

My biggest heartburn is that I'm just going to miss my plasma.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I live in fear and trembling of my three Pioneer plasmas dying! I’m hoping they’ll hold on until OLED becomes a mature technology.

I can promise you that coming off a plasma you’re probably going to be greatly disappointed in the black levels of LED TVs. I know I was. You might want to see if you can snag a used plasma off Craigslist to hold you over until OLEDs get affordable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning my 2012 era Panny 46 inch ST30 series plasma made a loud popping noise and went off. Won't come back on, although the red power light is lit. Figure it's time for a new TV.

Have spent the morning surfing the net, looking for a replacement, subject to the following:

1- Can't be over 50 inches as we have a heirloom oak TV armoire that houses our TV in the living room. My wife will NOT give this up (it is gorgeous and we get more compliments on the armoire than we ever will on a TV).
2- 4k with HDR so I'm future proof as can be.
3- $1000 budget, less if possible. While I'd love to go OLED, my kids college tuition is a little more important right now.

After my research, I've narrowed my list to:

1- Sony X900E, 49 inch, $949 at Best Buy
2- Vizio M-Series, 50 inch, $579 at Costco and Best Buy
3- Samsung XU7000, 49 inch, $599 at Best Buy
4- Samung XU8000, 49 inch, $999 at Best Buy

My first impulse is the Sony, but in looking at them side by side at Best Buy today and comparing specs, I'm just not sure if its $400 better than the Vizio. We mainly watch TV content (Directv), blu-rays (I'm not upgrading to UHD discs), and streaming (Netflix, Amazon). I'd say about 80% TV, 15% discs, 5% streaming.

My biggest heartburn is that I'm just going to miss my plasma.
I'm not a fan of Sony so my recommendation is Samsung.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm subscribed to this thread, Alex...because I know I'll be in the same boat sooner or later. I got a Panasonic Plasma (55ST50) back in 2012 myself.

I love this set and hope that when it dies and I go 4k that I won't be disappointed.

What's the difference between those two Samsung sets (the XU7000 and XU8000)--outside of the $400?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you had to do today tho I’d hit every conderation but your price one and get the LG 50” B7. It’s so much better than anything else at 1500 or less that it’s not funny. Isnt a couple hundred over budget for a set that will last 5+ years worth it?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
X900E

It is the only one that has some sort of full array local dimming, and if you want to do HDR, sidelit SUCKS. My bud just bought one of the Sidelit Samsungs from Costco (7000 series) and I calibrated it with my HDR C6 meter and Calman. View angle is nice, SDR looks real good, HDR is TERRIBLE. If you want to do UHD and HDR, either get OLED or something that has local dimming, not sidelit.

If you could go 55", LG OLED would be the best choice, but your price range is an issue too. Also check with @Robert_Zohn here or at Value Electronics, may have some good deals.

Edit: Forgot M series is a FALD too and has a few more zones than the X900E. I am not a fan of Vizio video processing, but I'll leave it up to you there. Out of those 4, I am buying the FALD Sony or I am trying to fit a 55" OLED into the stand and budget ;)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was in the same boat a few months ago when my 60" Samsung plasma died on me. I briefly considered OLED, but prices (at least in Canada) are still prohibitively expensive - the cheapest OLED I've ever seen here was an older model 55" LG for $2000. Instead, I started hunting through classifieds and ended up with a 60" Panasonic plasma for $400 that's superior to the set it replaced.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You can have my 50" Kuro when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Or when I can afford a 4K projector.

:D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Derp, I forgot my LG (the smallest) is 55", not 50. Sorry. Either way, wait till next week and see if a smaller one is announced. LOTS of people asking for smaller OLED.

Honestly, I replaced my Plasma with a 75" FALD and while I have some regrets, it's time to get over thinking Plasma beats OLED blacks. NO WAY IN HELL. OLED blacks destroy plasma if for no other reason than that you get HDR along for the ride for free.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I live in fear and trembling of my three Pioneer plasmas dying! I’m hoping they’ll hold on until OLED becomes a mature technology.

I can promise you that coming off a plasma you’re probably going to be greatly disappointed in the black levels of LED TVs. I know I was. You might want to see if you can snag a used plasma off Craigslist to hold you over until OLEDs get affordable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My friend recently had his plasma repaired(Samsung-- it would not power on). As long as TV repair people exist there is no real threat of Plasma dying out forever. CRT's are still serviced as well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bolted my beloved 2009 model 42" Panny Plaz to a cheap Chinese mobile tv cart just last night. scary! I plan to buy a dirt cheap replacement and put Plaz in storage for a little while. I'm using it in the kitchen while washing dishes etc, watching old shows Sanford & Son etc. I do worry about the plaz dropping off onto one of the dogs. It weighs more than the 65" samsung I just bought.

BandH sells used models. I'll bet you could get more TV for that money that way even if you add on a warranty.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I'm subscribed to this thread, Alex...because I know I'll be in the same boat sooner or later. I got a Panasonic Plasma (55ST50) back in 2012 myself.

I love this set and hope that when it dies and I go 4k that I won't be disappointed.

What's the difference between those two Samsung sets (the XU7000 and XU8000)--outside of the $400?
7000 is 2016 model I believe, 8000 is 2017. In reviewing specs, not much difference other than $300

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
After spending all day researching, going to Best Buy 3 times to compare, etc, I opted for the Vizio M series 50 inch. It fit my armoire perfectly (its width is actually the same as the 46 inch Panny was), and just couldn't see $400 difference between it and the Sony (which was my initial first choice). Did some self-calibration via rting.com. So far, I am pleasantly surprised. Picture is different from plasma for sure but I can't say I'm disappointed at all. My wife loves it.

Bottomline, price did play a large role in the decision. We have set some pretty aggressive financial goals for this year as we're working towards having a very comfortable retirement within 8 years. I figure if this one lasts as long or longer than the Panny did (I'm very disappointed that it didn't last longer, my original 42 inch Panny from 2006 is still going strong in the bedroom), my retirement present will be an OLED (or whatever the next thing is then).

Thanks for all the responses!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
After spending all day researching, going to Best Buy 3 times to compare, etc, I opted for the Vizio M series 50 inch. It fit my armoire perfectly (its width is actually the same as the 46 inch Panny was), and just couldn't see $400 difference between it and the Sony (which was my initial first choice). Did some self-calibration via rting.com. So far, I am pleasantly surprised. Picture is different from plasma for sure but I can't say I'm disappointed at all. My wife loves it.

Bottomline, price did play a large role in the decision. We have set some pretty aggressive financial goals for this year as we're working towards having a very comfortable retirement within 8 years. I figure if this one lasts as long or longer than the Panny did (I'm very disappointed that it didn't last longer, my original 42 inch Panny from 2006 is still going strong in the bedroom), my retirement present will be an OLED (or whatever the next thing is then).

Thanks for all the responses!

Hey, and you got another $400 for another toy!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yeah. He can afford another college tuition payment for the kids! :laugh:
Frankly, I've tired of chasing tech after the next great thing. When I think back to all the $ I've wasted chasing the next "big thing", whether it be TV's, routers, media players, etc, I'd probably be able to retire 5 years sooner. Planned obsolescence has been a loser for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You just have to decide when good enough is "good enough". I'm content with blu-ray and have no plans or desire to upgrade to 4K or beyond until I'm forced to by equpment failure or prices come way down.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
For me, I have two expenditures during the year, college football and tech toys. I always laugh when people at work talk about that stuff, and me having season tickets. I say well, I don't have a boat, I dont have kids, I dont hunt and pay hunting camp dues lol. Everyone has "toys", just depends on what you enjoy. I love football and movies.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My 2012 50 inch Panny plasma (3D model) died the day after Christmas. Coincidence? I wonder. 5 years is way too short of a lifespan for a TV. Since I had recently bought a 3D projector, it was no great loss and the plasma was suffering from station logo burn-in. I replaced it with a very cheap 4K TV even though I have no 4K setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks