What's new

Help me buy my next TV (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hello all,

I’m going to be in a position where I will have to buy a new display in the next month or two.

The display will be for my home theater and will be replacing a Samsung 46 inch purchased in 2012 or so (the model escapes me but it is a 1080P, 3D, smart tv and has done well).

I have done my research and don’t think OLED is the route I want, I am good for sticking with LCD as I have dealt with burn-in before on a plasma and understand there is some risk on an OLED, never again. I also think that given living circumstances and being in an apartment with 7 to 10 feet of viewing distance, as well as what the current furniture can support, that my max screen size is 48 inches.

The tv would be for gaming, streaming via Apple TV 4K, and cable, with the occasional blue-ray.

I have looked a bit and it seems that 4K is the de facto option these days. I‘m not a huge videophile but I do see the merits in a 4K set. In my research, it seems LG has some decent options but I have yet to ever own an LG television.

Given what I described and my budget range, please recommend some televisions for me. Thanks!

technohobby

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
IMHO, it's all about room brightness while you're watch programming that's important to you. If you've got the TV tuned to CNBC all day every day in a brightly lit room, an LCD is the way to go.

If you prefer a darkened room while you watch new movies or HBO/Netflix series, nothing other than an OLED makes sense to me. The colors virtually drip off a screen with inky black backgrounds. Space fiction's starry skies disappear into the background shadows of my room while images are vibrant with light and color. Do as you will. It's your money. I've got LCDs in 4 locations in my house, with the OLED in my main viewing. I've seen the blackness and I'm not going backwards.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I’m going to be in a position where I will have to buy a new display in the next month or two.

The display will be for my home theater and will be replacing a Samsung 46 inch purchased in 2012 or so (the model escapes me but it is a 1080P, 3D, smart tv and has done well).

I have done my research and don’t think OLED is the route I want, I am good for sticking with LCD as I have dealt with burn-in before on a plasma and understand there is some risk on an OLED, never again. I also think that given living circumstances and being in an apartment with 7 to 10 feet of viewing distance, as well as what the current furniture can support, that my max screen size is 48 inches.

The tv would be for gaming, streaming via Apple TV 4K, and cable, with the occasional blue-ray.

I have looked a bit and it seems that 4K is the de facto option these days. I‘m not a huge videophile but I do see the merits in a 4K set. In my research, it seems LG has some decent options but I have yet to ever own an LG television.

Given what I described and my budget range, please recommend some televisions for me. Thanks!
LG OLED 65 CX

Burn in not likely (I came from a Panasonic Viera so I am familiar with your concern).
The LG is magnificent!

JSHeacock

Agent
Real Name
Jack Heacock
I recommend Sony TVs. They have wonderful pictures, realistic color and they last. My 55" 1080P I bought 11 years ago for a Super Bowl party still produces a beautiful picture. The 55" 800G 4K I bought last year for another room is even better - sometimes the picture looks like a live broadcast when watching 4k streaming programs. I'm having a home built that will be finished in about 5 weeks and I intend to grab an 85" Sony 900H for its media room.

I like the 900H or 950H but if you go with the 950, you're probably better off with the A9 OLED for a few bucks more.

Of all the brands, Sony is optimized for movies. Sony has its own movie division and I am told that the image engine for the Sony TVs are calibrated to produce an optimal picture for its motion pictures. Not sure if that's true or not but it sounds feasible. They wouldn't want to release a movie that looks better on a competitor's TV.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I recommend Sony TVs. They have wonderful pictures, realistic color and they last. My 55" 1080P I bought 11 years ago for a Super Bowl party still produces a beautiful picture. The 55" 800G 4K I bought last year for another room is even better - sometimes the picture looks like a live broadcast when watching 4k streaming programs. I'm having a home built that will be finished in about 5 weeks and I intend to grab an 85" Sony 900H for its media room.

I like the 900H or 950H but if you go with the 950, you're probably better off with the A9 OLED for a few bucks more.

Of all the brands, Sony is optimized for movies. Sony has its own movie division and I am told that the image engine for the Sony TVs are calibrated to produce an optimal picture for its motion pictures. Not sure if that's true or not but it sounds feasible. They wouldn't want to release a movie that looks better on a competitor's TV.

I do love Sony televisions and owned one for many years, however, when I bought one of their newer LCD’s I was disappointed and actually ended up with my current Samsung. On my shortlist now, I actually have a Sony 49’ that I am interested in seeing in person.

DImitri001

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Hello all,

Wow, where to start lol. First there are lots of good reviews for various brands on YouTube so do have a look. I would encourage you to get the biggest screen size you can afford with the quality you want. With the increased resolution of 4K tv's sitting from 7-10 feet away is great with a 65 and even a 75 inch set (I'm staring at a 75" from 10 ft right now lol ) I have both an LCD and Oled from Sony. If you are worried about burn in then don't buy one , you don't need the nagging worry. If you want to save some coin, I'd consider a brand like TCL. They are producing some well reviewed sets which sell at serious discounts vs the big brands. One last thing to consider which many forget is viewing angles. If you have reason to sit off to the sides be sure to check out the viewing angle specs. Happy hunting !

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Burn in simply is not an issue for any real people. It's in the range of theoretical these days. Take modest care of your gear and you will be fine. Get an LG CX or Sony A9 and enjoy the best OLED has to offer for a long time.
What does “take modest care” mean? I don’t really know what you mean.
Edit: I mean to add that CNN is tuned in at our house a lot. They love to put those permanent bars at the bottoms of the screen with text in them. I wonder if those would burn in.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have done my research and don’t think OLED is the route I want, I am good for sticking with LCD as I have dealt with burn-in before on a plasma and understand there is some risk on an OLED, never again.
I’ve had a plasma for a decade. It’s been on 4-16 hrs a day. No burn in. I don’t know what other people’s experience is, but it seems like unless you’re leaving it on a news channel with a static chyron / banner all day every day, this is not a real problem. Not a decade ago. Even less today.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, OLED is more expensive. Ive got a 49” LG LCD and it’s a great tv for the price. The “smart tv” features work great, as good as my Roku stick.

My plan for a new living room tv has been a Sony 950G or 900G if I wanted to save more money.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve had a plasma for a decade. It’s been on 4-16 hrs a day. No burn in. I don’t know what other people’s experience is, but it seems like unless you’re leaving it on a news channel with a static chyron / banner all day every day, this is not a real problem. Not a decade ago. Even less today.
I’ve also had a plasma for a decade. Mine does have burn-in, but it’s not from a station bug. It’s from my wife leaving it on all day every day tuned to a station showing everything in 4:3 with black bars along both sides. They’re barely noticeable, but they’re there.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

LG CX. I have owned a plasma for 10 years. Gently used. When I saw the CX, I caved right there. Best display out there at this time. Burn in is less likely than with a plasma, but still a slight possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks