What's new

Blu-ray Review Grimm Season One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

Grimm: Season One presents the first season of NBC’s procedural fantasy.  All 22 episodes are here, including the pilot that introduces the audience to Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli), who is not only a Portland homicide detective but also a “Grimm”, which may explain why he can see the various fairy tale creatures that not only inhabit the city but also may be responsible for many of the crimes. The Blu-ray set provides solid picture and sound, some interesting extras, including deleted scenes, a short gag reel, some featurettes, and a guide to the characters and glossary of the show.

GRIMM

SEASON ONE

Studio: Universal

Original Airing: 2011-2012

Length: 22 episodes (15 hours, 51 mins)

Genre: Fantasy/Police Procedural

BD Resolution and Codec: 1080p VC-1 (@ an average 20 mbps)

Audio:  English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (@ an average 4.0 mbps)

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: Unrated (TV-safe injuries, blood, police procedures)

Release Date:  September 7, 2012

Starring: David Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Bitsie Tulloch, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz and Reggie Lee

Executive Producers: David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf

Written by: Various

Directed by: Various

Rating:  2 ½/5    

In the fall of 2011, TV audiences were treated to a brand new fantasy series which really excited people and got everyone talking.  That was, of course, ABC’s Once Upon a Time.  But there was also NBC’s Grimm, which did well enough in its initial year to be brought back for a sophomore season that has already begun on August 13th.   The series is an interesting attempt to crossbreed the standard police procedural (find a dead body and then find the murderer) with fantasy elements usually lifted from Grimm’s Fairy Tales.  There’s some fun material here, and some good usage of Portland locations to backdrop the action.  The cast is all game for this material, although there aren’t any really strong performances to pull the audience in and make them care about yet another dense mythology a la Lost or The X-Files.  There’s also a strong sense that this series is a bit more ambitious than its budget will permit, as the frequent use of CGI morphing to transform human characters into fairy tale creations really shows its seams as the series piles them up. 

If you’re a fan of the series, this Blu-ray set will be a welcome gift, as it’s stocked with good HD picture and DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound, along with a fair amount of extras.  The Blu-ray set includes the usual BD-Live and pocket BLU functionality.  This set actually hit store shelves over two weeks ago as part of the push for the show’s early start on its second season.

VIDEO QUALITY   4/5

Grimm: Season One is presented in a 1080p VC-1 transfer that accurately presents the HD imaging captured by the cameras used on the show.  There are solid black levels, which is a good thing for a series that has plenty of scenes in darkness or outside at night.  As I noted before, the clarity of the transfer also makes the inadequacies of the CGI work more apparent.

AUDIO QUALITY 4/5

Grimm: Season One is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix that, as usual for television, mostly focuses on the front channels, but has a satisfying amount of life in the surrounds, both in terms of music and atmosphere.  Given the number of action scenes and scares, there’s a healthy amount of atmosphere, as well as a more aggressive use of the subwoofer than is normally heard and felt in a TV series.

DISC BY DISC:

As I regularly do with TV season sets, I will account for what can be found on each disc, in order. 

The discs also contain the usual My Scenes bookmarking and BD-Live functionality of all Universal Blu-ray releases. The discs also feature the pocket BLU app.  On each disc, deleted scenes are presented for various episodes, always in 1080p HD.

DISC ONE:

Episodes: 

Pilot – The series begins with an episode where Detective Nick Burkhardt (Giuntoli) uses his new-found Grimm abilities to deal with the murder of a red-hooded college student in the woods.   (The disc also contains 3:31 of deleted scenes from the pilot.)

Bears Will Be Bears

Beeware

Lonelyhearts

Danse Macabre

DISC TWO:

Episodes:

The Three Bad Wolves (2:46 of deleted/extended scenes are included on the disc.)

Let Down Your Hair  (4:27 of deleted/extended scenes are included on the disc.)

Game Ogre (3:50 of deleted/extended scenes are included on the disc.)

Of Mouse and Man (1:53 of deleted/extended scenes are included on the disc.)

Organ Grinder

DISC THREE:

Episodes-

Tarantella (1:27 of deleted scenes are included on the disc.)

Last Grimm Standing

Three Coins in a Fuchsbau (2:41 of deleted scenes are included on the disc.)

Plumed Serpent (A 0:24 deleted scene is included on the disc.)

Island of Dreams (A 0:48 deleted scene is included on the disc.)

DISC FOUR:

Episodes:

The Thing With Feathers (3:20 of deleted scenes are included on the disc.)

Love Sick (A 0:45 deleted scene is included on the disc.)

Cat and Mouse

Leave it to Beavers (A 1:37 deleted scene is included on the disc.)

Happily Ever Aftermath

DISC FIVE:

Episodes:

Bigfeet

Woman in Black – The season finale finds Burkhard closing in on the person responsible for his parents’ death and winding up face to face with the one person who could give Scarface second thoughts…  (3:00 of deleted scenes are included on the disc.)

The disc also contains:

Gag Reel (3:12, 1080p) – A short gag reel is included here in HD.  It mostly consists of Silas Weir Mitchell blowing his lines and then extemporizing about the situation…

Grimm Guide – This is a kind of encyclopedia of the show, divided into two parts.  The first part presents the various fairy tale creatures established in the series, including video clips of each one.  The second part is a glossary of the various pseudo-German terms created for use in the series.

The World of Grimm (10:50, 1080p) – This featurette is a quick introduction to the series, including interview soundbites with the cast and some on-set video. 

Grimm:  Making Monsters (6:43, 1080p) – This short featurette deals with the creation of the various monsters seen in the show.

Audition Tapes – Windowboxed videos of the various cast members’ auditions for the series are included here.  The auditions here include David Giuntoli, Silas Weir Mitchell, Russell Hornsby, Bitsie Tulloch and of course Reggie Lee.  (Lee’s audition was unsuccessful for the part at hand, but was so funny that the producers immediately created a character for him and unleashed him on it.)  The auditions can be viewed individually or via a “Play All” feature.

VFX Progressions (2:08, 1080p) – This is a quick compilation of various CGI morphs, showing the completed effect and the base footage of the actor’s face with tracking marks.  This is one of those bits that maybe isn’t helpful, as it clearly shows how artificial the effect looks at this budget level.

Highlight Reels – This is a trio of highlight collections, each covering a different aspect of the series, all presented in HD:

Scares (1:33) 

Morphs (2:28) – This is another moment that the CGI becomes screamingly obvious, simply due to the pileup of morph moments presented here.

The Language of Grimm (1:38) – This is mostly Silas Weir Mitchell’s readings of the various mock-German terminology used in the show.

Ultraviolet Copy – Instructions for downloading or streaming an Ultraviolet copy of the episodes are included on an insert in the package.  The deadline to access the material is April 30, 2015.

The packaging also includes two collector cards made for the series by Breygent, each showing a different character or creature from the show’s mythology.

Subtitles are available in English for the episodes and for the special features.   As with the prior series sets, standard chapter menus are not exactly included here – instead, each episode is itself a chapter.  There are four chapters within each episode, but they are not itemized in a menu – which means you may have to hunt through an episode if you stop the disc and restart it later.  As I’ve noted before, I find this kind of thing a bit annoying, but other viewers may be fine with it. The usual Blu-ray pop-up menus work fine.   The rest of the packaging is okay, with the discs contained within sleeves in a foldout setup.  It gets trickier to get the right-hand discs out, but it’s nowhere near as bad as some earlier packaging ideas we’ve seen.  

IN THE END…

Grimm: Season One provides a good introduction to the series, and is a good way for the show’s fans to re-experience the first season.  There isn’t much substance to be found here, but viewers looking for a police procedural with a fantasy twist may enjoy what they see here.

Kevin Koster

September 25, 2012.

Equipment now in use in this Home Theater:

Panasonic 65” VT30 Plasma 3D HDTV – set at “THX” picture mode

Denon AVR-3311Cl Receiver

Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Player

PS3 Player (used for calculation of bitrates for picture and sound)

5 Mirage Speakers (Front Left/Center/Right, Surround Back Left/Right)

2 Sony Speakers (Surround Left/Right – middle of room)

Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Having never seen the show I picked up the BDs to be ready for season 2. I found it to be an interesting show that quickly pulled me in. I fell asleep one night watching an episode. The next morning my wife wanted to know what I had been watching. She told me that she woke up and ended up seeing the last few minute, and and to walk to Patty Duke Show episodes before she could clear her mind and get back to sleep.

Kudo's to Universal for releasing it on Blu-ray!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How are the collector cards packaged in the set? My blu-ray set had a sticker noting they were included, but I didn't find anything (though I haven't pulled every disc out of every slot).
Love this show. It's one of only 3-4 network series I consider appointment TV each week.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The cards are lightly bound together and can be found next to the Ultraviolet insert. If you're not seeing them, it's possible they were somehow left out...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They must have been left out of mine, as the ultraviolet insert was the only thing inside my set. Oh, well.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Any issues related to pausing on the discs? I am reading Amazon reviews and some mention issues with the discs locking up.
I don't know if it is player related or disc-related, and Amazon're reviews often don't differentiate between Blu-rays and DVDs. but I thought I would ask.
I am also reading the packaging is horrible.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mark Walker /t/323262/grimm-season-one-blu-ray-review#post_3976005
Any issues related to pausing on the discs? I am reading Amazon reviews and some mention issues with the discs locking up.
I don't know if it is player related or disc-related, and Amazon're reviews often don't differentiate between Blu-rays and DVDs. but I thought I would ask.
I am also reading the packaging is horrible.
I didn't have any problems with mine locking up, it goes to the usual Universal screen saver after its been on pause for a while. Hitting play doesn't continue it, you have to hit menu. The packaging is great for all the space that they have to talk about the episodes and creatures, it can take a few moments to get the discs out of the sleeves though.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I similarly did not have lockup problems, either on the Oppo or the PS3.
The packaging is okay. I liked the descriptions and the care that went into the presentation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/323262/grimm-season-one-blu-ray-review#post_3976034
I similarly did not have lockup problems, either on the Oppo or the PS3.
The packaging is okay. I liked the descriptions and the care that went into the presentation.
I thought the video quality on my Oppo 93 was mixed with this season boxset. Most of the time, it looks excellent then there are sequences in which it looks murky.

Crawdaddy

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I didn't see murkiness, although I admittedly did not watch every episode. The main visual issue I had was the obviousness of the CGI, which is a direct reflection of the limited budget on which the series is made.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/323262/grimm-season-one-blu-ray-review#post_3976068
I didn't see murkiness, although I admittedly did not watch every episode. The main visual issue I had was the obviousness of the CGI, which is a direct reflection of the limited budget on which the series is made.
I watched every episode in its entirety and what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the CGI. I'll try to give you some actual moments, but I'm in the middle of watching Person of Interest boxset in its entirety. Also, I'm going to play those actual murky moments on my other BR players like the Panny-500 to see if it shows up there too.

Crawdaddy

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Please do, and thanks for the input.
I have a feeling that it's not the player...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Robert Crawford said:
I watched every episode in its entirety and what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the CGI. I'll try to give you some actual moments, but I'm in the middle of watching Person of Interest boxset in its entirety. Also, I'm going to play those actual murky moments on my other BR players like the Panny-500 to see if it shows up there too.

Crawdaddy
I'd be interested in re-watching some of those scenes (when you have a chance). I watched it through and don't recall seeing anything like that. There were some scenes that needed a bigger CGI budget. My wife and I loved Person of Interest. I know Cameron is working on a review of the set, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts so far. I'm waiting for it to come down in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks