What's new

International PAL AND OTHER-REGION DVD ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If you like the 'Brit Noir' Renown films benbrigade refers to, I recommend the Edgar Wallace Mysteries which have been released on a series of seven DVDs. The picture quality is excellent and they are much better value than the Renown releases.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
If you like the 'Brit Noir' Renown films benbrigade refers to, I recommend the Edgar Wallace Mysteries which have been released on a series of seven DVDs. The picture quality is excellent and they are much better value than the Renown releases.
According to several "reviewers" on Amazon U. K. the sound quality is very poor. Did you find that?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Robin9. I have read the reviews you refer to and I haven't found the same problem at all. I am watching on a Panasonic plasma through the TV speakers only rather than using any amplification. The TV needs to be turned up a bit but no more than for many films/TV programmes. I have volumes 1-4 so far (with another on the way). Widescreen picture quality is excellent and quite a bit better than some of my 'Renowns'.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
Robin9. I have read the reviews you refer to and I haven't found the same problem at all. I am watching on a Panasonic plasma through the TV speakers only rather than using any amplification. The TV needs to be turned up a bit but no more than for many films/TV programmes. I have volumes 1-4 so far (with another on the way). Widescreen picture quality is excellent and quite a bit better than some of my 'Renowns'.
Many thanks. I might - eventually - get around to buying this series. Not at present though as my purchasing schedule is very full and my bank account isn't!

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Robin, Great news about ON THE FIDDLE,I never knew this was on the way. Believe it or not this film played as a main feature when it was released. The films co-star Alfred Lynch was a very fine actor who never achieved the fame he so richly deserved. Two other Lynch early Sixties films that I really want are: WEST 11 Michael Winners "masterpiece" in my opinion. TWO AND TWO MAKE SIX Directed by Freddie Francis and Co-Starring George Chakaris,Jeanette Scott and Jackie Lane plus a stellar Brit supporting cast. I DO hope they get a DVD release sooner rather than later!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Good news for Deborah Kerr fans. Not one of her best but Prudence And The Pill (1968) with David Niven, a Fox film which has never seen a region 1 release gets a UK region 2 release on May 13 by Odeon entertainment.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:
Good news for Deborah Kerr fans. Not one of her best but Prudence And The Pill (1968) with David Niven, a Fox film which has never seen a region 1 release gets a UK region 2 release on May 13 by Odeon entertainment.
Thanks for that. I saw this film when it first came out and I've never seen it again. I can't remember anything about it but as it co-stars David Niven, I'm interested in this DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Received my region 2 DVD (via England) of the 1944 And Now Tomorrow with Alan Ladd, Loretta Young and Susan Hayward which has never seen a region 1 DVD release (Universal has the U.S. rights). The transfer is quite decent except for the last couple of minutes of the film when there's some flashing fluttering going on. Annoying but far from a deal breaker.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have received the German Blu-ray of The Thief of Bagdad (1940). I had to return it as the disc was faulty - I couldn't access the menu to change the language. It was a German print with German titles etc, and I was disappointed with the picture quality therefore could not recommend it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and BLACK SABBATH are both up for pre-order on Blu-ray at Amazon.UK. Both locked, I would guess.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I have recently received the German transfers of GHENGIS KAHN and THE MUDLARK. Both are very good and worth collecting.Thanks for the report on AND NOW TOMORROW. I have it on order with PRUDENCE AND THE PILL from Amazon.co.uk.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If you're a fan of westerns, two westerns not available in region one and another western only available as a MOD in region one are up for pre-order from Amazon Germany.

The Wonderful Country (1959) with Robert Mitchum and Julie London is only available as a MOD from MGM/UA but gets a pressed transfer here.

The two never released in region one are One More Train To Rob (1971) with George Peppard and France Nuyen and Cave Of Outlaws (1951) with Macdonald Carey and Alexis Smith.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For unabashed fans of lurid trash like Valley Of The Dolls, a 3 disc set of the 1985 mini-series of Jackie Collins' Hollywood Wives is available from Sweden. Great cast (Anthony Hopkins, Candice Bergen, Angie Dickinson, Robert Stack, Rod Steiger, Stefanie Powers, Suzanne Somers etc.) and the transfer is nice too. Swedish and Norwegian subtitles are easily disabled.

Oddly, it's never been available on region 1 DVD but its inferior sequel Hollywood Wives: The New Generation has ... go figure!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Received three DVDs from Germany yesterday none of which are available in region one:

Untamed Frontier (1952) a Technicolor western with Joseph Cotten and Shelley Winters and Fritz Lang's You And Me (1938) with George Raft and Sylvia Sidney. Both in nice transfers.

The third is Sherlock Holmes In New York (1976) with Roger Moore, Charlotte Rampling and Gig Young which is strangely matted on all four sides. I believe windowboxing is the correct term. The jacket lists it as 16x9 1.33, most odd.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Here's a bit of good news. 20th Century Fox UK will be releasing a blu-ray of Rudolph Mate's 1962 THE 300 SPARTANS this coming July 22nd (Region B). I hope it foreshadows more widescreen epics for the future, such as STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI. Fox has their logo on the standard DVDs of a few of the old MGM/UA titles like KINGS OF THE SUN and SOLOMON AND SHEBA, so I hope that they might finally make it, too.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ed Lachmann said:
Here's a bit of good news. 20th Century Fox UK will be releasing a blu-ray of Rudolph Mate's 1962 THE 300 SPARTANS this coming July 22nd (Region B). I hope it foreshadows more widescreen epics for the future, such as STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI. Fox has their logo on the standard DVDs of a few of the old MGM/UA titles like KINGS OF THE SUN and SOLOMON AND SHEBA, so I hope that they might finally make it, too.
In which country?

This is good news; and encouraging as it indicates Fox are willing to make HD transfers of some not especially well known films. I too would love a BRD of The Story of Ruth. Elana Eden in high definition!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
300 SPARTANS will be available through Amazon UK, believe it will be Region B only. There is a write up on it over at Blu-Ray Forum. Lots of positive feedback there and am hoping it will be a success, which should lead to more releases of this kind. Here's another odd bit, Amazon Japan will be offering a soon to be released BD of the Richard Burton ALEXANDER THE GREAT. The company they list as releasing it is Paramount. Huh? Who really owns the release rights for these MGM/UA titles anyway? An odd one showed up at Amazon France, the 1952 MOULIN ROUGE, released through Elephant Films there, but the American DVD was MGM/UA. I just got my copy in the mail and even though the print has "unrestored" normal light wear, it's really a gorgeous crisp BD with removable subs. These "Cinema Master Class" BDs from France are pretty nice judging from this one. I'll be ordering their LADY HAMILTON and THIEF OF BAGDAD soon!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
After seeing "Spartans" in the title, it reminded me of a sorely overlooked "Go: Tell the Spartans". Wish this would somehow get released through any distributor, domestic or foreign, wouldn't care. Would be a day one purchase for me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Received my Pope Joan (Liv Ullman, Olivia De Havilland, Maximilian Schell) from Germany today. Only available in the U.S. in a P&S transfer, the German import is in anamorphic wide screen (2.35) with English or German tracks and optional German and English subtitles.

There are interviews with Ullmann and Schell in English.

btw, those of you looking forward to the R2 blu of 300 Spartans, you do know Fox is releasing in R1 in July, don't you?

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
thanx for the heads-up that ESTHER AND THE KING was available on dvd in germany..... i've just received it and it is indeed a wonderful transfer.... a great find!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks