1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Complete List of Announced TT Titles, including those Sold Out.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Twilight Time, Nov 20, 2017.

1. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I understood it was gorgeous to look at; my problem was the film that went along with that look.

I saw the film at the Henry King retrospective at MOMA, and in my opinion, it was one of those films for which that Pauline Kael quote would be perfectly apropos: "This would be a good film to read a book to, if there were light enough in the theater." And I already own too many of those.

2. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Agree. My wife and I found it boring. Couldn't wait for it to end.

3. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Ah, with those gorgeous faded colors that only Deluxe could provide! I first saw this as a child in '58 with colors intact (somewhat over my head, but I liked Peck and Kerr); then at MoMA (gasp!); finally this TT release with colors once again the way they should be. Anyway, I still like Peck and Kerr.

4. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I also like Peck and Kerr, as well as Leon Shamory, but this may be Henry Kings' most lugubrious Cinemascope production, which makes Michael Snow's WAVELENGTH seem filled with excitement and drama by comparison. So yes, I might have bought it to look at the beautiful lighting and production design, but just one scene of the two of them sighing and glancing God knows where though anywhere but at each other, I would have hit the stop button and filed it for another time when I was in the mood for pure visual craft, and I already have too many of those discs to begin with, and very little space.

Speaking of the Henry King retrospective and those prints, it was really eye opening to go from stunning Technicolor productions of the early 1950's such as I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN, (which for me was the big revelation of the KIng retro) and an hour later come back to see almost sepia-toned faded DeLuxe color prints, such as THIS EARTH IS MINE, and one would think "What the hell happened?"

bujaki likes this.
  5. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I have the Spanish DVD of This Earth Is Mine (and no, it's not a bootleg) and the colors look nice. Unfortunately, it's not anamorphic and it's probably OP at this point. I'd buy a blu in a heartbeat!

6. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    When the film first came out, it received harsh critical notices and its reputation has never recovered, so you are not alone with that opinion. I love melodrama, personality clashes, throbbing emotions, libidos on overdrive and all that, so this film is right up my street! Also it's interesting to see Philip Ober playing a fairly likable character for a change and to see Herbert Rudley, repeating for Henry King after The Bravados, telling F. Scott Fitzgerald that his talent did not lie in writing for movies. I accept that others will not share my enthusiasm for this film, but I enjoy it enormously.

7. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I wasn't dissing THIS EARTH IS MINE, which I like a lot, merely commenting on the faded print which I saw at MOMA in the 70's which was especially shocking as the film that I saw prior to that was I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN which looked so amazing that it may have seemed batter than it actually was.

8. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Is "The Hound of the Baskervilles" 1959 sold out? Had it in my basket on ScreenArchives waiting for this past Mon (when I get paid each wk), but it has disappeared and I can no longer locate it on the site.

9. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Two days ago Screen Archives still had 50 in stock.

10. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Evil hounds must be popular this Halloween