What's new

Outlaw vs SVS (1 Viewer)

AlPetrillo

Auditioning
Need help in deciding on the following: I have a 18X26 HT room. Cement floors with pad and carpet. Ceiling height 7'4".

Do I purchase 2 Outlaw LFM-1 Subs or 1 SVS PB2-plus sub?

Both are great subs...slightly different designs.....Is one 900 watt sub better than two 325 watt subs? or is that no a fair comparison...

Thanks
Al

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

I don't know about "fair" but IMHO this is the wrong yardstick to measure subs. Wattage all by itself does not tell you much.

I am not familiar with the Outlaw subs. The PB-2 is an excellent sub.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
FWIW, here is a link to the recent review of the LFM-1 done by the Secrets of Hometheater and Hi Fi. Nobody here seems to give it much credit though, but there is a paragraph that mentions the SVS 25-31PCi as a comparison reference.

AlPetrillo

Auditioning
Thank you ED!!
Wow....I am such a rookie with knowledge! ha ha

Well, my question still stands.....2 lesser subs or 1 monster sub??
2 Outlaws or 1 SVS? -

I understand there are more variable that make this decision more complicated than I am making it out to be......but.....all thing being equal, which way would you go??

thanks,
Al

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The SVS PB2+ will completely dominate in a performance contest against dual LFM-1. They are not even in the same zip code, performance wise. Check out Craigsub's HT-SPOT review of the PB2+ vs. dual Hsu VTF-3 if you have any doubts.

The PB2+ will player deeper, cleaner, and far louder; it cannot be touched at the $1200 OEM price point. In fact, the PB2-ISD is only a few ticks behind the PB2+ in sheer performance, and also worth a very hard look at the $900 price point. The dual driver SVS PB2 series offers major performance value.

AlPetrillo

Auditioning
Ed,
Where can I find Craigsub's Review?

Thanks again.....looks like a PB2+ in my very near future!

Al

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Al,

Here is Craig's subwoofer shootout. It actually started at another forum, but got ugly, then censored. About 9 or 10 posts down a guy does a nice job of summarizing the shootout.

Ed pretty well summarized the direct comparison, but no one has mentioned the continuously variable phase on the SVS model, which can be VERY handy in really fine tuning a subwoofer.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Al,

I suppose I should also have answered your one big sub vs. two smaller subs question. I'm going to assume that the two smaller subs, when colocated, would be identical in performance to the one larger sub (which is not the case in the subs you are comparing). The advantage of two smaller subs is that you could play with placement and possibly even out your frequency response a little better (assuming you have the headroom to not have them colocated). The disadvantage is that it can get a lot harder to dial in two subs, especially if they're not colocated. The advantage of the bigger sub is that it will be easier to dial in, and odds are the two smaller subs would be best colocated anyway.

-Robb

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Another factor is the looks department...the Outlaw is a nice looking sub. The SVS isn't too bad either but it isn't really finished the same.

Your performance question would be a little more fair comparing the PB2-ISD to two co-located Outlaws.

If subs were not so heavy it would be nice for you to audition both.

It depends on your criteria really. Variable phase is a big deal to me, as is max spl under 30 Hz. But many people may prefer the outlaw for looks and close performance over 25 Hz (when compared with the ISD/PCI SVS offerings, the price class competitors). There will of course be differences in sound as well. Different distortion with different harmonics, the differences in EQ built into the amp..etc.

Looks aside, I would tend to go with one big sub over two lesser subs collocated in this case. If you plan to separate the two to help even your freq response (this assumes you know what you are doing) then the two subs are the only choice obviously. For most people one outlaw sub should be more than adaquate, not everyone is trying to hit ref levels.

bias disclosure...I own a PB2+

BenCosta

Agent
AlPetrillo,

I purchased an LFM-1 for my folks and I was very impressed with it. I say you can’t go wrong with a pair of these guys and you owe it to yourself to audition both setups. I can't imagine strong two of these guys woule be...I understand each company has pretty lenient trial periods for you to compare them side-by-side. Isn’t that what this hobby is all about!

Peace,

Ben

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Robb on this one as it did more than just "fine tune" it for me.

Had a STF-2 for a while (little brother to the STF-3/LM-1) and thought it was OK. 0/180 degree phase switch did nothing noticeable. Calibration improved it's performance slightly.

Decided to return it and purchased the SVS PB1-ISD. Sounded OK out of the box as well and even better with calibration, but the variable phase control when rotated from 0 to the 100 degree position took it from good to WOW. That feature alone made the difference for me (and the fact the tan granite is a wife pleaser).

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
If you have a single subwoofer, and it's located next to the main speakers you don't need to adjust the phase control?

Only if you have dual subs opposite side of the room/one at the front, one at the back?

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Chris brings up a good point. Though placing the sub up front can reduce the effects of cancellation, in my experience this is very true to the front that is closest to the sub. the other front is fair game to cancellations.

Currently the back right sub is at about 120 and the front left about 80

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
AlPetrillo,

your thoughts on the PB2+ please. I am in the same boat as you on the Outlaw vs. SVS before your purchase. Thanks.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I'm thinking about upgrading my sub from my crappy POS to something in the $400 -$600 price range. My main choices now are the Outlaw LFM-1 or the SVS PB10-ISD. It will be in an average size room, carpeted and I intend to place it in a corner.

I've read several reviews and other threads - would there be anything significant that should sway my choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks