What's new

HDTV vs DBS HD Picture Quality (1 Viewer)

mrdap

Agent
Real Name
David
Hello,

I have been enjoying over the air HD broadcasts from local networks on my 1080p TV in 1080i and 720p depending on the station. I have also been enjoying standard DVDs on this system. I have not been particularly enjoying SD DBS programming from DishNetwork.

So, I am about to buy a PS3 for BlueRay capability as we already have online DVD rental/delivery from Blockbuster (or local pickup).

I am also, as of late, re-interested in upgrading my SD DishNetwork receiver to either DishNetwork HD or DirecTV HD.

Finally, here’s my question:

How does the DBS HD broadcast picture quality compare to regular over the air HD broadcasts or to BlueRay/HD DVD?

I have been told that true HD resolutions and picture quality are not really available on DBS. Is this true or false?

Thanks for your help.

mrdap

Equipment List

Sony KDS-R60XBR2 TV
Outlaw Model 990 Preamp/Processor
Outlaw Model 7125 Amplifier
DishNetwork ViP622 DBS Receiver
Sony DVPNS700P DVD
Sony SLV575UC VCR
Definitive Technology BP7002 L/R Speaker (2)
Definitive Technology C/L/R2500 Center Speaker
Definitive Technology BP2X Surround Speakers (2)
Definitive Technology BP2X Rear Speakers (2)

Planned acquisitions:
TV Stand (Still trying to pick one)
HD DBS receiver/dish (DishNetwork or DirecTV?)
Sony PS3 (ORDERED!)
SVS PB13-Ultra (Need $$$)
Seating upgrade

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True HD is possible via satellite. Whether or not DirecTV (D*) or Dish (E*) provide it is another story. I'm a D* subscriber that also gets locals via OTA. My local channels are bit rate starved due to multi-casting of the sub channels. So that's not a great comparison. D*'s MPEG 2 channels are not a good example either since they down rez them to "HD Lite". D*'s new MPEG4 HD channels look outstanding on my projector and 103" screen. I haven't read if they are broadcasting those in HD Lite. They certainly look better than the MPEG2 channels. The remaining MPEG2 HD channels will be moving to MPEG4 and the new satellites soon. Rumors put it happening after the new year.

Pick your content provider carefully since you will be stuck with a contract. D* is 2 years and the cancellation fee is not cheap. Also check the schedules of the channels you watch or may watch. I've read that Dish's Voom channels heavily repeat programs. If you watch them for a month or two, you will see everything they have. D* have started a lot of new HD channels recently. In fact, I can't think of a single channel I watch now that doesn't have an HD equivalent.

-Robert

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It depends on what you mean by "true" HD resolution. According to industry standards, 720p, 768p, 1080i and 1080p are all HD. If you only consider the highest available resolution (1080p) to be "true" HD, then the answer is "No", satellite doesn't deliver it. Neither does broadcast. They both top out at 1080i. Only Blu Ray, HD-DVD and computer files can deliver 1080p content and this is unlikely to change in the next decade or more. (Since we're still very early in the process of converting to HD, period.)

Most HD program material originates as 1080i or 720p. Your set is going to further process the incoming signals to scale them up to its native resolution of 1080p. Depending on how good the scaler is (I've heard good things about the Sony SXRD line, but haven't seen any outside of store displays) and how good the original signal is, you'll probably have quite an impressive final image in any case.

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
"True HD", meaning 1080p, is the biggest crock to ever come down the marketing pike. Both 720p and 1080i are "true" HD, if you go by the ATSC standard. Matter of fact, they are the only standards for broadcast at this time and for the foreseen future. Couple that with the fact that on most 1080p TV's a 1080i source looks identical to a 1080p source as long as the TV has a good interlacer, and you have one of the biggest BS campaigns in history. Does 1080p have higher resolution than 720p? Yes, very much so. Do you need a 1080p source to take advantage of the 1080p display? Nope, not at all.

mrdap

Agent
Real Name
David
Robert, Joe, and Jeff,

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

I really didn't mean to start a controversy with the words "True HD". Probably a poor choice of wording.

Yes, I am aware that 1080p is only available on BluRay or HD-DVD and is not broadcasted either on DBS or OTA.

Now from your answers, I conclude that some satellite channels are broadcast in 720p and 1080i, and some are broadcast in "HD-Light" (which I'm going to say is not HD), correct?

So my question really is if you compare 720p on OTA vs 720p on DBS and 1080i on OTA vs 1080i on DBS, can I expect them to look essentially the same, for a given resolution, between OTA and DBS?

And this really brings me to I guess part 2 of my question:

How can I find out what channels are available at what resolutions for D* and E*?
How can I tell which D* channels are MPEG 4?

I have scoured both websites and they appear to be notorious for providing non-information.

Also, just for the record, I did spend some time seaching the forums for these answers but it is very time consuming and difficult to find exactly what one needs. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks agian for you kind attention.

mrdap

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the source is 1080i, then D* sends it out 1080i. Same for 720p. So ABC, Fox and the ESPN's are 720p. Everything else is 1080i.

If you find D*'s recent HD announcements, those are the HD channels that are in MPEG4. You can also check the channels by satellite at Lyngsat. D* satellites in the 101, 110 and 119 orbital slots are MPEG2 satellites. The rest of the D* satellites

I can tell that TNT and others MPEG2 channels are HD Lite. Some are better than others. The new MPEG4 channels are either not HD Lite or so close to full resolution that I can't tell. That does not include locals which are broadcasting multiple sub-channels and taking up valuable bandwidth from the main channel.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks