SVS 20-39PC+ vs Sunfire Mark II

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnEF, Aug 21, 2005.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I was pretty much prepared to order the SVS 20-39PC+ (based on a recommendation by SVS on the size of my room-15 feet wide by 22 feet long and 8 foot ceilings) when in talking to a local dealer, he suggested the Sunfire which has 2 eight inch drivers and a 2,750 watt amp.

I realize that smaller the box a greater the amp is necessary to move air. The two sub-woofers are about $150 apart. I should mention that the dealer lent me the Sunfire for the weekend and it is a noticeable improvement over my Pinnacle 250 watt subwoofer (12 inch driver)

Has anyone had the opprotunity of comparing these two sub-woofers and is the extra $150 worth the difference?

I should mention that my system (Outlaw 950/770 with Pinnacle GOld Reference towers, Gold Reference Center and 4 Gold Reference mini-monitors for surrounds and rears) is about 90% movies and 10% music.

John

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

My room is about the same size. Two years ago I had the SVS PB2+ which is the same now as the PB12+2, 2 dual whoofers. It was in their standard black. All my furniture and speakers are in oak so when they came out with the PB12Ultra in oak I just got one within the last month. My dealer has the same sunfire you borrowed. I have not had one in my home but it might be good on low bass for music it will not give you that tactical feeling and air movement that an SVS will. Call Ron at SVS.. Very nice guy. He tried to help me get my dual NHT's working better before I bought my first SVS many moons ago and really spent a lot of time not selling me. I really appreciated that as it shows he cares about people and subs. He knows about most of the subs out there and will be very candid with you. If he thinks the Sunfire would be best for your specific situation he will tell you so...
    Very much worth the phone call. But I am sold on SVS as thats all they do is study and refine subs.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

While I don't own the Sunfire, I like it. Just so you know, it doesn't actually have 2 drivers. One is the active driver and one is a passive radiator that functions similarly to the ports on the SVS.

I would look at the decision this way.

There are 3 issues:

Ultimate performance on movies.
    Size
    Price

In a household with a woman, the Sunfire will usually be highly preferred for appearance. If that is not a factor, you are left with performance and price.

I would say the SVS is at least a match for the Sunfire in performance and at $150 is rather less expensive.

4. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'll say it. As far as clean, undistorted output and extension, this is no contest. The SVS wins hands down. If space is an issue, which I assume it is not, the Sunfire might be appealing. If you take a look at a review at Secrets (subwoofer "X")http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...2-part-2.html, you will see that when pushed hard, the Sunfire produces VERY high distortion. Back in the late 1990's when Sunfire was the new kid on the block, their output was very impressive. In 2005, their output is still good but certainly not class leading.

5. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the referral. In this case the comparison is to the SVS PC Ultra which is $150 more than the Sunfire. I am considering ordering the SVS 20-39 PC+ and play around with it to see if it compares to the Sunfire (which I have now-borrowed). If I like the Sunfire better, I can return the SVS. Decisions, decisions.

John

PS-I find the Sunfire a very noticeable improvement over my old Pinnacle 250 watt subwoofer-there is cleaner bass (no break up in sound) at higher volumes.

6. John S

John S Producer

They (SVS) have some dual 12" Subs on their B-Stock page at $799..... That is probably the one I'd go for, I still say get a dual 12" if you can.

7. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I used to own the 20-39PC+. I have a buddy that has the sunfire and let me tell ya, He is always jealous of the SVS. I've heard both and the SVS is just a much better HT sub. It plays louder, lower, and more accurate than the sunfire. I thought the sunfire sounded very loose and bloated compared to the SVS.

I have since replaced my beloved 20-39 with the PB12 plus 2.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If your situation were reversed and size a issue, then the Sunfire might be worth considering? As things stand now, I wouldn't hesitate going the 20-39 option. Happy sub hunting.[​IMG]

9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Auditioning

I've had a Sunfire True Sub Signature (10") and the regular True Sub (8"). While both were incredible for their size, my current SVS PC-Ultras are much better. When taking into consideration the cost of the Sunfires, I could have purchased three PC-Ultras. My advice: only get the Sunfires if space is an issue...although, the floor space is probably about equal.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Maybe a little perspective is due here?? Ok take your pick....Dual PB12-Ultra's or the Sunfire[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

When it comes to subs and getting that tactile feeling size does matter. You need to move air and the little sunfire no matter how good it is just can move the amount of air the SVS can. Big drivers move large amounts of air and little driver well you know...

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well said Legairre. That pretty much sums it up alright.[​IMG]

13. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

steve, that picture of the dual PB12 ultra's scars the mess out of me. I can just see the corner of my house giving way if I had that... man that would be cool [​IMG]

I should have looked away, now I want to upgrade my SVS.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If you make it back Hank, what SVS are you running?

15. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for everyone's comments. Size or looks are not an issue. Luckily my wife sees our family room as a place for anything I want to do with. If it was our living room there would be no way I could put in big ugly speakers (especially the water-heater look of the 20-39PC+).

I am only nervous about spending close to a thousand dollars of something sight unseen. Of course the solution is to order the SVS and see for my self. I think the dealer would let me borrow the Sunfire again and I could demo each with the same material face to face. The only potential extra cost would be shipping the SVS SW back if I liked the Sunfire better.

John

16. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

John,

Well remember the "water heater" is the same guts and performance as the PB12-Plus box sub. So you can have a "monlith" or a "waterheater", take your pick ;^). (Truth is lots of wives warm up to the large cylinder form factor, don't ask me why).

The only potential extra cost would be shipping the SVS SW back if I liked the Sunfire better.

By all means try to demo both at the same time John. It's key to set them in the same location (side by side) and adjust their playback levels so they are the same (which is only possible with an SPL meter, best if using Avia as the source of your test tones). We sell both tools, they are quite simply invaluable for setup, even if you aren't trying to compare such different subwoofers.

There won't be any extra cost if you decide to send the SVS back. I'll pay for it myself (I only wager my own money when I'm feeling especially confident).

The SVS (PB12-Plus or 20-39PC-Plus) is NOT small, but it's everything else that matters.

Ron
    SVS

17. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a no risk proposition to me...

18. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

My wife never really liked the black water heater in the corner! She loved the sound for movies, but hated the looks.

So, when we moved I convinced her to let us sell it and get a box sub. We opted for the rosewood PB12 plus 2! A few steps above the 20-39PC+ that we had.

It looks like furniture. It is on the end of a loveseat and everyone that comes over thinks it is just a unique looking end table! Once we tell them it is a sub they are just amazed that a subwoofer can look like this...and that it's that big! We always give them a sound test and that's when they realize that it's no ordinary sub/end table.....this sucker will shake you to the floor. It's a beast.

19. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Well, now you have a no-risk guarantee straight from Ron. Order the SVS and test it out for yourself,
    you literally have nothing to lose. [​IMG]

The number of guys who listen to an SVS, whether just a solo demo or when auditioned against
    any other sub, that don't end up wanting to keep the SVS is very very small. And that's
    because the performance speaks for itself when you hear it. [​IMG]

20. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Thats a $100 bet out of Ron's own pocket.. that how sure he is (and the rest of us too) that you will keep the SVS.
    Good Luck and at least try it. Your going to be in a different league when you do...