What's new

Outdoor tv with Sonos (1 Viewer)

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
Hello
Need a little help So got a new outdoor tv - samsung terrace Also have a Sonos amp with 4 def tech speakers aw6500 So had to run cat 6 with Atlona converters on each side. The Atlona coverter had audio outputs with the video. On one side the converter is plugged in to my cable box thru hdmi and sound is plugging in through optical into a Sonos dongle into the Sonos amp. On the tv side coverter is plugged into the tv thru hdmi and sound through optical. The issue im facing is the Samsung remote is not controlling the tv channels or the tv sound through the sonos amp. I believe it should. Any help

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
You need to use the IR sensors that should have come with the HDMI extender to control the cable box. You can't control the Sonos directly with the remote but you can set the cable box to use variable audio and then set the Sonos to a mid level volume. This way you can control the channels and the volume with one remote.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
You need to use the IR sensors that should have come with the HDMI extender to control the cable box. You can't control the Sonos directly with the remote but you can set the cable box to use variable audio and then set the Sonos to a mid level volume. This way you can control the channels and the volume with one remote.

Brian
Thanks. There are ir sensor connected. Still no luck with the remote. I have the same setup in my den but utilizing hdmis. One from the cable box to the hdmi one. And another hdmi to Sonos amp to the arc. On my inside Samsung tv. Everything is controlled by that Samsung control Why not with the converters?

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
You're right, I forgot the new amp does arc but I don't see this helping much with the extender. In the den you have the cable box and Sonos both connected with HDMI so you utilize CEC control and ARC for Sonos. Outside you are using an optical connection so you will not have any CEC control. You would have to run a HDMI cable from ARC on the TV back to the Sonos Amp for that control.
What model is the Atlona extender? Not all of them support ARC or CEC which would limit what can be done. Try using the cable remote and see if it changes channels from the TV location. If it does, then we know the IR sensors are working.

Brian

Palmese85

Grip
Real Name
Rich Palmese
You're right, I forgot the new amp does arc but I don't see this helping much with the extender. In the den you have the cable box and Sonos both connected with HDMI so you utilize CEC control and ARC for Sonos. Outside you are using an optical connection so you will not have any CEC control. You would have to run a HDMI cable from ARC on the TV back to the Sonos Amp for that control.
What model is the Atlona extender? Not all of them support ARC or CEC which would limit what can be done. Try using the cable remote and see if it changes channels from the TV location. If it does, then we know the IR sensors are working.

Brian
Atlona ATLONA AT-UHD-EX-100CEA-KIT 4K/UHD HDMI 100M HDBT TX/RX W/ ETHERNET POE & OPTICA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks