What's new

OPPO DVD Player OPDV97H (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this Unit. It was recommended to work well with my Infocus 4805. My first impression is that it is no better, and may be a bit worse, than my $57.00 Toshiba.

I could not get a correct aspect ratio using the M1 to Component connection. I tried every setting and read the manual twice. The player was set for WIDE and made sure the PJ was in 16X9 mode. The bottom of the image was just cut off. Tried all the output settings..480P, 720, 1080i, etc.

So, used the S-VID to the PJ. AR was OK but image was a bit dark. There are settings for this in the Player but didn't need it before. Very dissappointed. The reviews were pretty good for this Player but it just doesn't seem to work well with my setup.

So, I may try it with a TV but really can't see any reason to keep it.

http://oppodigital.com/

James Phung

Second Unit
The main benefit of the player is to use it over DVI. If you are going to use it for component (where many people say is not very good on the Oppo), there are better component players out. The oppo will only send 480i over component and the 4805 will not correctly process 480i over component through the m1 port. The 4805 will simply line double 480i, no video processing is done, it would be much worse than feeding it through the actual component input on the 4805.

I use it with my 4805 over dvi at 480p and I am happy.

You must remember that if you feed 480i component, composite, or svideo inputs, you will have the 4805 use its faroudja processing. The Oppo also uses the same faroudja processing chip when it outputs 480p, 720p, and 1080i over DVI. Feeding a good 480i input into the 4805 from any dvd player will give you good results thanks to the 4805's faroudja chip.

You also need to calibrate your settings for different equipment. You cannot expect to use the same settings on one player with a different player and expect the same results.

I like the Oppo because it is region free, plays divx, reads all my dvdrs, has no layer change, no pixel cropping, and good customer support.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
It seems your correct ( see below) BUT, why would they make a Player with Component out and not have it be Progressive? Doesn't make sense to me. They give you DVI etc, etc, and you think the Player has all the best outputs. I admit, it is my ignorance that is part of the issue. I just assumed ( don't say it ) that this Unit had all of the best as far as outputs. Again, why make a Player that has all these options and not have the Component be Progressive?

Anyway, I'm going to return the Player. I have no need for a DVI port from a Player. Have enough trouble with the DVI port from my Cable Box to my HDTV.

Here is their response to my isssue:

"The 917H does not do progressive scanning out from the component
outputs. It will only do 480i. The DVI button only effects the DVI
output of the 971H. In order to take advantage of all the specialty
features of the 971H, you will need to use the DVI output. Even though
the Infocus 4805 has a built in Faroudja chipset, it does not do as
well as our unit when it comes to de-interlacing, motion adaption, and
scaling"

Thing is, even if it only does 480i from the Component, why couldn't I get a correct aspect Ratio?

Thanks for your comments James.

James Phung

Second Unit
The m1 port on the 4805 seems to be designed to only receive progressive signals. Sending it 480i (via m1 to component) will give you strange results. Feeding it into the actual component input on the 4805 will give you much better results. If you haven't already, make sure you had the 4805 set to 16:9 aspect also using the aspect ratio button on the remote.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Your correct again. I was/am feeding the M1 port a Progressive signal form my cheap Toshiba. It is very close in PQ to the S-VID feed from my Yamaha DVD. I know I don't need both but I just wanted something connected to the M1 port... just to have it working....

re strange results: I did notice that after I upgraded the Firmware the ABOUT in the menu for the Computer input ( M1 ) now shows the signal ( ie 480i ) where before it gave a resolution like xxx X xxx

Of course the Faroufja is doing it's thing with the S-Vid and as you said, the M1 port does best with just 480i.

The PJ Component Port is being used by my HD Cable Box. It really looks good with an HD siganl. So, happy with that.

I just got back from the P.O. Sent the OPPO back. I now kinda feel I've done all I can as far as PQ with the 4805. Like everyone else I would like to get the best image I can so If you or anyone knows of another decent DVD Player I can try please let me know.

Thanks again for your input.

James Phung

Second Unit
Unless you plan on getting an m1 to dvi or hdmi adapter to use with the more recent hdmi/dvi players, you're not left with many choices for component dvd players. A decent 480i output from a dvd player fed to the 4805 will outperform most dvd players out there thanks to the 4805's Faroudja processing (used in the Oppo and Panasonic S77/S97). Sending 480p from a dvd player will bypass Faroudja processing which is why many people prefer to send 480i when used with the 4805. I would recommend that you use the m1 component connection for HDTV and use the internal component input with your dvd player so that you can get Faroudja processed 480i video signals from your dvd player. Faroudja does not process 480i through the m1 port (ie, through m1 to component adapter).

I must note that it is important to calibrate your dvd player when using it with the projector. Use AVIA, Digital Video Essentials, or THX Optimode (found in THX discs) to properly calibrate your black levels (brightness) and white levels (contrast). These settings will be different for every dvd player and will also be different when in progressive and interlaced modes (480i/480p).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks