What's new

Impending Swan Song For 3D Projection (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The overnighted AVM70 has arrived and been installed. I should have first impressions within a day or so. The original unit [promised on Sunday] is still not here. I guess Fedex must be "too big to fail" as they are certainly not too competent to do so.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I finally found an Epson LS12000 in the wild yesterday and drove 50 miles to see it. I felt the overall image was outstanding and concluded I could probably "live with it." When I returned home I dug deep into some online reviews and they collectively confirmed what I already knew. While the LS12000 is a tremendous achievement at its price point, it definitely makes some serious compromises to get there. The obvious one for me is the lack of 3D support but there are others such as it's handling of HDR and it's underwhelming black levels. After going back and forth for awhile, I realized I simply wasn't willing to compromise at this point in my life. I've ordered the JVC NZ7, the projector I wanted from the start.

Stay tuned for my upcoming short story:

How To Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - While Remaining Married

*** OR ***

My Wife Said I Couldn't Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - I'm Going To Miss My Wife

Completely missed this thread before... Hope you can keep all 3, LOL! ;):laugh::laugh::laugh::cool:

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How To Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ7 In The Same Week - While Remaining Married

What happens to the Epson PJ?

Smaller screen in the bathroom for those times when you need to take a potty break and don’t want to miss the movie? :D

Seriously, congrats on the decision and purchase!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What happens to the Epson PJ?

Smaller screen in the bathroom for those times when you need to take a potty break and don’t want to miss the movie? :D

Seriously, congrats on the decision and purchase!
I'm dedicated to HT but not *that* dedicated! :cool:

It was a tough decision and if the LS12000 had maintained 3D support I'd probably have gone that way. I did finally get to see one and the picture [even HDR] looked outstanding. My 6050 is up for sale but will be missed.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My short story continues but instead of this

It has now evolved into this.

How To Buy Both An Anthem AVM70 And A JVC NZ8 In The Same Week - While Remaining Married

After careful thought, I decided the JVC NZ8 would be my "end game" projector. It arrived yesterday and I spent a good portion of today completing the initial installation. I haven't had time to really get into any critical viewing but, out of the box I could immediately detect the extreme color saturation and detail compared to my Epson 6050. It's one of those "you don't know what you're missing until you see it" kind of things.

I'll have more later but for now my parting thoughts are.

• Chief mounts have laughably terrible documentation and make seemingly false claims about "tool less" adjustments.
  • Installing this thing is a two person job. I didn't have a reliable #2 so I did it alone. Definitely not recommended as this sucker is heavy.
JVC NZ 8 Installed.jpg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don’t know how you installed that solo!!!

This was super helpful for me aligning the new projector

I prefer this guide which discusses all of the typical issues encountered with alignment but, once mounted, you're still at the mercy of the adjustment capability and instructions for the mount. I have it pretty close now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That guide really helped me understand and work through the mount rotation and projector lens shift combinations to square up the image and minimize distortions.

I've got the some work to do still to make it perfect. But it's not worth getting to until I figure out a screen upgrade.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Other than the panel degradation issues I remember discussing in previous posts, why the dislike for Sony?

In any case, I was mostly just ranting. I'm not inclined to buy either at this point. They need to remember who most needs who and produce viable models within reasonable price points. Until then, I think I'm good.
Here's a reason to never by sony again, as is my case: You register the product, and once the warranty expires you can't even ask a simple question of customer service. That was the last time I ever bought a sony anything. ViewSonic has been the opposite. So has Bose, and Yamaha. Sony? See-ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks