What's new

Impending Swan Song For 3D Projection (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have been loosely researching a replacement for my projector for about a year now. In the last several days I got serious about it and have spent hour upon hour going over the feature sets of various models until I narrowed it down to either the JVC NZ7 or the Sony XW6000ES. We all know the JVC's are renowned for their superior black levels but they are also much heavier than competing models. In my case, this meant I'd need a new ceiling mount at a cost of several hundred additional dollars. Since I'd already be spending north of $10,000.00 on this thing, that didn't sit particularly well, so I zeroed in on the Sony. Based on conclusions from the 2022 Value Electronics Projector Shootout and several other online sources, excepting black levels, the Sony actually outperformed the NZ7 in several key areas such as brightness and skin tone accuracy. Weighing in at about 31 pounds, it would also work with my existing ceiling mount. I thought I was ready to pull the trigger and then I dug into the 3D aspects of each model. I'm glad I did.

Both the JVC and Sony claim full 3D support. Digging a bit deeper, however, I learned several current owners were having issues actually getting 3D to work with these projectors. Why? Each requires an external 3D emitter which is , you guessed it, sold separately. In the case of the JVC that emitter is the size of a USB stick yet costs $100.00. If you want assured compatibility you'll probably also need to purchase JVC's own 3D glasses. They're listed at $139.00 a pair. The Sony requires a similar additional investment if you actually want to use the "built-in" 3D feature.

So here we have two projectors costing well over $10K that claim to support 3D yet require hundreds in accessories to actually do so. Well, this is when I realized I was pissing into the wind. My Epson 6050 already produces excellent 3D playback and requires nothing more than a pair of $25.00 active shutter glasses to do so. At this point I asked myself, "why was I trying to replace it" and I couldn't come up with a good answer.

This may seem obvious to some but It appears to me manufacturers are no longer committed to 3D in projectors, as even Epson dropped it with their new consumer level flagship LS12000. My 3D journey may indeed be nearing its end but I don't need to spend over 10K to extend it awhile longer so, "no thanks Sony and JVC." I think I'll keep my 10K and just buy myself a new Pre/Pro for half that amount.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I‘ve already talked one friend out of a new Sony and into the Epson LS12000.

For you, given your 3D interests and possibly last-projector-you’ll-buy scenario, I recommend a JVC over Sony.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The JVC NX5 might be a good option at ~7000US as long as you don't mind a bulb-based projection engine rather than one based on a laser.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I‘ve already talked one friend out of a new Sony and into the Epson LS12000.

For you, given your 3D interests and possibly last-projector-you’ll-buy scenario, I recommend a JVC over Sony.
Other than the panel degradation issues I remember discussing in previous posts, why the dislike for Sony?

In any case, I was mostly just ranting. I'm not inclined to buy either at this point. They need to remember who most needs who and produce viable models within reasonable price points. Until then, I think I'm good.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The JVC NX5 might be a good option at ~7000US as long as you don't mind a bulb-based projection engine rather than one based on a laser.
Thanks for the recommendation but, no more lamp-based projectors are in my future. I can easily afford the NZ7, even with the additional costs for true 3D support. I just don't like their approach as it seems decidedly customer unfriendly. I really hope Epson comes out with a 3D-capable successor to the LS12000 at some point. That would be my ideal replacement.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
N27 3d is gorgeous
Sure. I don't doubt that for a moment. I watch a 3D title maybe 5 times per year on average. Although I've watched two back to back this week, that's atypical. If I experienced 3D on the NZ7 I'm sure I'd be impressed and envious but not likely to the tune of what would ultimately amount to a $12,000.00 investment, especially with limited content available.

I also insist on [what I perceive as] mutual respect and fairness between manufacturers and myself as the consumer. Epson has long been my preferred projector source because I feel they most embody this mindset. JVC and Sony seem to think they're doing me a favor by even allowing me to buy they're overpriced options. I don't understand this mentality at all. Economies of scale is not a new phenomenon. They'd easily sell more units if they offered more reasonable prices and, in the case of JVC, got the weight of their projectors down to the point where they didn't require jumbo ceiling mounts.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Other than the panel degradation issues I remember discussing in previous posts, why the dislike for Sony?
Panel degradation. That’s it. Can’t recommend friends spend $5000 to $12,000 on a projector that’s going to lose half or more its native contrast in a few years.

It’s unfortunate because Sony has a great image processing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In any case, I was mostly just ranting. I'm not inclined to buy either at this point. They need to remember who most needs who and produce viable models within reasonable price points. Until then, I think I'm good.
At first read I thought you were actively shopping, and missed that you were just ranting :)

I love my NX7.

And three months after getting it, I’d love to upgrade to an NZ7. Cutting the fan noise in half, cutting HDMI sync time in half, and laser dimming. But, wow, $11,000. Still a bonkers price, even knowing I can afford it if I really want it.

Fortunately, I don’t care about 3D anymore. That at least eliminates that problem.

I still haven’t been able to see an Epson and JVC head to head. I’d love to get an Epson in my theater to demo. I might be happy with it, trading contrast and DTM for $6000 savings. Lacking that, I’ll give it another year or two and watch for used NZ7 models.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
At first read I thought you were actively shopping, and missed that you were just ranting :)

I love my NX7.

And three months after getting it, I’d love to upgrade to an NZ7. Cutting the fan noise in half, cutting HDMI sync time in half, and laser dimming. But, wow, $11,000. Still a bonkers price, even knowing I can afford it if I really want it.

Fortunately, I don’t care about 3D anymore. That at least eliminates that problem.

I still haven’t been able to see an Epson and JVC head to head. I’d love to get an Epson in my theater to demo. I might be happy with it, trading contrast and DTM for $6000 savings. Lacking that, I’ll give it another year or two and watch for used NZ7 models.
You were correct the first time. I "was" actively shopping but became irritated by the [semi] hidden 3D caveats associated with both projectors and the weight of the JVC, which would require me to purchase a new mount costing over $500.00. I was all but ready to send Robert Zohn the payment when I started seeing owners complaining about 3D concerns in another forum.

I know new 3D content will likely be sparse and the format is dwindling but my logic is, "I already have a very good projector that does everything I need." While certainly not on par with JVC or Sony's newest models, my Epson 6050 has great overall picture quality and decent enough black levels for me. I've given up on HDR where projectors are concerned so I could live with the lack of true DTM, plus HDR10+ content isn't exactly mainstream anyway.

I was considering an upgrade to get into the laser realm and to have that little extra we all want as enthusiasts, not because I was dissatisfied with my current projector. To pay well north of 10K and still be asked for hundreds more just to use supposedly built-in 3D comes across as gouging to me. It's harder to resist purchases like this when you actually have the money but, for now anyway, that's what I'm doing. If I do ever totally give up on 3D I'd buy the LS12000 in a heartbeat, as I'm very comfortable with Epson products.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I take it you’ve decided to upgrade after all?
Sort of... I've decided to go ahead and set the wheels in motion. For the short term I will likely grab the Anthem AVM70 8K, since that is a "no brainer" upgrade for me at this point. The 12V triggers on my Marantz AV7702 mkII unceremoniously stopped working several months ago and I've been wanting to move away from Audyssey and into ARC Genesis for a long time now. The projector upgrade will occur when my 6050 sells. In the meantime I'll have to come to terms with whether or not I feel 3D is worth what it appears I'll need to pay to retain it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sort of... I've decided to go ahead and set the wheels in motion. For the short term I will likely grab the Anthem AVM70 8K, since that is a "no brainer" upgrade for me at this point. The 12V triggers on my Marantz AV7702 mkII unceremoniously stopped working several months ago and I've been wanting to move away from Audyssey and into ARC Genesis for a long time now. The projector upgrade will occur when my 6050 sells. In the meantime I'll have to come to terms with whether or not I feel 3D is worth what it appears I'll need to pay to retain it.
WOW!!! You’re going in hard on this upgrade! Awesome!

I’m very interested in your opinion of the AVM70 when you’ve had it long enough. That’s on my wish list. But my Marantz still works and does everything I need — I’m not doing 120Hz gaming — so that upgrade can wait.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
WOW!!! You’re going in hard on this upgrade! Awesome!

I’m very interested in your opinion of the AVM70 when you’ve had it long enough. That’s on my wish list. But my Marantz still works and does everything I need — I’m not doing 120Hz gaming — so that upgrade can wait.
Yes. I've been trying to build my "end game" system for quite awhile now. I started with speakers, amps and then subs. I got derailed when this latest crop of laser projectors appeared from Sony, JVC and Epson but upon further research it looks like [for me anyway] the time is still not right.

I just ordered the AVM70. Should be here in a week or so.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. I've been trying to build my "end game" system for quite awhile now. I started with speakers, amps and then subs. I got derailed when this latest crop of laser projectors appeared from Sony, JVC and Epson but upon further research it looks like [for me anyway] the time is still not right.

I just ordered the AVM70. Should be here in a week or so.
:thumbsup:

Which version did you decide on?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm having electrical work done this morning. I powered off and unplugged all the electronics. I considered not unplugging the Marantz because if it died I'd have to buy a new Anthem... :D
You can have mine for a fraction of the cost, as long as you don't need the triggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks