What's new

Onkyo vs Bose? (1 Viewer)

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I think I may have to go with the original Onkyo that I posted. The wife thinks I am crazy to spend over $1000. She has a point we don't really watch too many movies so maybe a mediocre system is best for me. I may try it and return it if I am not satisfied. It's worth a try I guess

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ruckus said:
I think I may have to go with the original Onkyo that I posted. The wife thinks I am crazy to spend over $1000. She has a point we don't really watch too many movies so maybe a mediocre system is best for me. I may try it and return it if I am not satisfied. It's worth a try I guess
Often a mediocre system is a reason you dont really watch many movies. Jus sayin.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Don't know much about Sony receivers...

The Polk speakers wouldn't be bad - give them a listen and see if you like them.

I would skip the Polk Sub and go with this instead. It's bigger, does deeper, and has a good reputation around here.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Much better.

If that Sony does all you need. It is all the AVR you need, nuff said.

I would buy the BIC F12 over that Polk subwoofer. BB US sells it. Have no idea if BB CA sells it. Otherwise you can get it via Amazon/CA.

Edit:
JC brings up another better sub than that Polk. Either one is a step up from a 10" Polk.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Ok cool thanks for the input guys. I made the purchase and I will see how the sub suits my needs. I got 30 days to return any of it. I ended up getting everything taxes in $990.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Sounds great guys I have no complaints! I just have to learn the one million settings on the receiver

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Ok I have my first problem! Everything works great I also did the calibration of the speakers now my problem is this. If I turn off my tv and turn it back on I get a screen on my Samsung Tv that says no signal regardless of the source I select I loose my picture on start up. I can hear the Bell Satellite audio coming out of the surround sound but no picture on my screen. I have tried setting my tv to the factory settings I also tried swapping the HDMI cable from the Sony receiver tv out to the TV HDMI input with a good known cable and still I get the no signal message and no picture on the tv. If I unplug the HDMI on the back of the TV to another HDMI input the picture comes back sometimes not all the time. Once i get picture back if I turn the tv off and back on I hear sound but no picture. I also researched for a firmware upgrade on my tv and it is up to date. Any thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The last thing you need to be doing is yanking and replugging HDMI. You mess with HDMI while everything is off and unplugged.Sounds like HDCP is what your problem is.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
What is HDCP? I just googled it and read about it, so how do I get around it or teach my Sony Receiver to accept my tv's encryption?

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Didn't work, I powered everything off and shut off both power bars and unplugged all HDMI cables. Reconnected all HDMI cables powered on receiver, then TV and Satellite. Ran through the set up steps calibrated the speakers and everything came on normally. Shut off Satellite receiver and powered back on picture was still present on screen. Shut off AV receiver and Satellite and powered back on everything works as normal. Shut off the TV and back on no more picture!! Same problem

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unplugging meant from the wall.

HDCP requires a "fresh from the box" reset of handshake.

The Sony's owners manual says "before plugging in HDMI/speaker wire, disconnect from the wall".

Your TV owners manual should say the same.
Your BD player should say the same.

Ergo...

Turn it all off.
Unplug it from the wall(like the owners manuals tell you)
Unhook everything

Since handshake has already been muffed. Leave everything unplugged for about 30 minutes.

Hook it all back up.
Plug it all back into the wall.
Turn the AVR on first.
Turn everything else on.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Sorry for my stupidity, the plugs are behind my fire place so it required moving it to get to them. I have moved it and unplugged everything and unplugged all HDMI cables from the AVR. I think what else may be the problem is as soon as I plug in my power bars or switch them on the Bell Satellite receiver automatically turns on as soon as it is plugged in. I am going to unplug it from the power bar and plug it in after everything else is plugged in and the AVR is turned on. 20 min to go

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks