What's new

Poor audio connecting my Panasonic UB420p to my old Onkyo TX-SR705. Manual doesn't cover my set up (1 Viewer)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
HT Size: 10' wide, 21' long, 7'2" high = 210 sq ft and about 1,500 cu ft (if math is correct)
LCR = SVS SCS-01
8 ohm
Surrounds: Wharfedale WH-2's
Rear: Mirage M-190's

Looking at a Marantz SR6014 at accessories4less and the CCB-8 LCR package from Hsu Research

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
HT Size: 10' wide, 21' long, 7'2" high = 210 sq ft and about 1,500 cu ft (if math is correct)
LCR = SVS SCS-01
8 ohm
Surrounds: Wharfedale WH-2's
Rear: Mirage M-190's

Looking at a Marantz SR6014 at accessories4less and the CCB-8 LCR package from Hsu Research

I think you'll be pleased with these choices. Do you have any plans to actually use HEOS? If not you might look for a Denon model that omits it and offers a discount.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Thanks for your input. I don’t ever see me using HEOS since the receiver is upstairs in a dedicated room, and we do most of our living downstairs, where I already have a 3.1 system for music.
Considering this, are there other receivers you’d recommend that are also 110w, 9 channel, that have Atmos and 4K processing?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I haven't shopped for an AVR in over a decade as I've long since transitioned to separates. Given that the deal you've identified is for a refurbished Marantz unit, you might as well go ahead with it . I doubt you'll find anything new with comparable features, especially in todays marketplace.

Last edited:

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Thanks for looking for me. After talking with my wife, she‘s thinking that if we upgrade the receiver we should probably put in 4 ceiling speakers. So rather than a 7.1 we’d need a 9.1 receiver (but I’m a complete newb at Atmos stuff so I don’t even know if that’s accurate)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Thanks for looking for me. After talking with my wife, she‘s thinking that if we upgrade the receiver we should probably put in 4 ceiling speakers. So rather than a 7.1 we’d need a 9.1 receiver (but I’m a complete newb at Atmos stuff so I don’t even know if that’s accurate)
If you have 7.1 right now and want to add 4 Atmos ceiling speakers 7 + 4 will be 11 ch.

What I did to upgrade from 7 to 11 channels was get a refurb Yamaha RX-A3080 from A4L, and added a separate 5 channel power amp to drive the main 5 channels - leaving the AVR to drive the 4 Atmos speakers and rear surrounds.

the RX-A3080 is a 9ch AVR but it processes 11 channels which is why I can do this. You can buy 11 channel AVRs but I found that by offloading amplification of the front/main channels they sound a lot clearer and dynamic volume changes are noticeably tighter. Trying to drive 7 or 11 channels with just the receiver leaves a lot of quality on the table.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Your response intrigues me. Thanks. I've never considered separates, mainly because of price, and my wife isn't into audio or HT like I am. If there is a way to have 4 channels of Atmos without buying an entire receiver, I'd like to know more. And, I have no idea if my Onkyo TX-SR705 can even have an external amp. What would I look for in a 4 channel amp and how would I hook it up?

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Your response intrigues me. Thanks. I've never considered separates, mainly because of price, and my wife isn't into audio or HT like I am. If there is a way to have 4 channels of Atmos without buying an entire receiver, I'd like to know more. And, I have no idea if my Onkyo TX-SR705 can even have an external amp. What would I look for in a 4 channel amp and how would I hook it up?
Alec,

this is the back of your AVR - the circled in red part are the pre-outs (which is what you can connect to an external amplifier) - it only has 7.1 outputs:
1636402851098.png

If you want to add 4 Atmos channels, you will need at least a newer AVR which has 11 channel processing (and thus 12 pre-outs instead of the 8 you currently have).

If you wanted to go to all separates, you would need a processor with at least 11.1 channel processing, and then separate amplification for all 11 main channels.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Thanks for educating me. 11 channel receivers are much more expensive so looks like I may be sticking with 7 channels.

Question: Is there a difference between in-ceiling Atmos speakers and height adjusted speakers? I’ve looked on the back of the Marantz SR-6014, which is 9 channel, and there is space for 4 additional speakers, other than the customary 7. They are labeled Height 1, L & R and Height 2, L & R.

What would be the difference between this receiver using all the speaker connections in the back, and a 11 channel using all of its speaker connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks