What's new

Poor audio connecting my Panasonic UB420p to my old Onkyo TX-SR705. Manual doesn't cover my set up (1 Viewer)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6100
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Panasonic UB420 BD Player

I was super excited to get my UB420, and the picture quality is excellent compared to my old PS3, but the sound quality is worse. On the back of the UB420 I am using the video out (audio/video) HDMI port. I'm thinking that I need to instead connect to the Audio Only HDMI port, but I'm not sure where to connect it into the receiver (Yes, the receiver is old) and if I do, where on my receiver do I then connect my video?

I checked the UB420 manual and found all sorts of great scenarios involving 4K projectors, and 4K receivers but I have neither. I have an and an old receiver.

I love your opinions on how to hook this up for the best possible sound and video.

Thanks!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I was in your shoes 3 years ago with the same AVR, but bit the bullet and upgraded. Denon has some great deals on AVR s that are a few years old but offer you almost everything.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sound quality being worse than your PS3? What exactly is worse? Are you actually comparing using the same discs?

And are you sure the player isn't somehow set to downconvert to a lesser/lossy audio format perhaps?

Not aware of any such complaint about the UB420...

_Man_

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
No complaint about the UB420. Actually looking for advice on how to hook it up properly with my setup for the optimal sound.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
I was in your shoes 3 years ago with the same AVR, but bit the bullet and upgraded. Denon has some great deals on AVR s that are a few years old but offer you almost everything.
Any particular model you'd recommend and links on where to purchase a receiver that's a few years old?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No complaint about the UB420. Actually looking for advice on how to hook it up properly with my setup for the optimal sound.

Well, you said the audio quality is ("poor" in the title and) worse compared to your PS3, so... :P

You still didn't elaborate what "worse" means though. Hard for anyone to help w/out understanding better what that means.

And if you simply want better audio in general, it'd be good to consider your entire audio setup (and probably also how loudly you play things), not just the AVR itself (and how it's connected/setup w/ your UB420)...

Cheers!

_Man_

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Well, you said the audio quality is ("poor" in the title and) worse compared to your PS3, so... :P

You still didn't elaborate what "worse" means though. Hard for anyone to help w/out understanding better what that means.

And if you simply want better audio in general, it'd be good to consider your entire audio setup (and probably also how loudly you play things), not just the AVR itself (and how it's connected/setup w/ your UB420)...

Cheers!

_Man_
Poor meaning that the audio sounds muffled and less crisp than the PS3. Same discs and same sound levels, checked with a meter. I'd love to get a new audio setup, and will in the future, but I'm sure there is an optimal way to connect things with my current set up...for now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver has hdmi, which is what you should use. It does NOT work with HD audio, though. So you probably need to set something in the downmix menu of the UB420. It should probably be set to output DD and regular DTS.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Any particular model you'd recommend and links on where to purchase a receiver that's a few years old?

Anything from the 4300 foreward. It gives 11.1 channels and about $150 more for an amp gets you another 2 speakers to add to it.

Last edited:

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6100
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Panasonic UB420 BD Player

I was super excited to get my UB420, and the picture quality is excellent compared to my old PS3, but the sound quality is worse. On the back of the UB420 I am using the video out (audio/video) HDMI port. I'm thinking that I need to instead connect to the Audio Only HDMI port, but I'm not sure where to connect it into the receiver (Yes, the receiver is old) and if I do, where on my receiver do I then connect my video?

I checked the UB420 manual and found all sorts of great scenarios involving 4K projectors, and 4K receivers but I have neither. I have an and an old receiver.

I love your opinions on how to hook this up for the best possible sound and video.

Thanks!
The HDMI spec doesn't allow for Audio Only HDMI. The HDMI signal contains both audio and video packets. There is no way to separate them inside the Receiver/Amp. That label on the back of the UB420 is misleading.
Just go HDMI out-on the BD player and HDMI-in on the Receiver.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Thanks for clearing it up. So does it really matter then which HDMI out I use on the UB420?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could try both and see, but pretty sure only the (main) one will work as desired because the other/2nd one only outputs (the desired) audio AFAIK despite what Doug said above.

While the HDMI specs themselves may not have any audio-only spec/limitation -- I haven't checked myself -- it's clear that makers have (largely) been producing players that don't output identical, full video+audio for both HDMI outputs and often restrict the 2nd output to audio only.

I haven't bothered to test it out on my UB420, but I know that was certainly the case for the Sony X700 I was using for a couple years...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
While Doug is correct that there is no Audio Only in the HDMI spec, the way most UHD Blu-ray players work when they offer two HDMI out ports, the first port carries both video (up to 2160p) and hi-res audio, the second port carries hi-res audio and a static 480p text screen saying something along the lines of "Video signal is output to HDMI1, Audio signal is output to HDMI2."

So, the best way to connect your UB420 is to run the HDMI from the player labeled VIDEO OUT (VIDEO/AUDIO) directly to your projector, then run a second HDMI from the player's HDMI port labeled AUDIO OUT to an open HDMI port on your receiver. You will need to go into the setup menu on the UB420 player and make the proper adjustments. I am unfamiliar with this model, so maybe someone else can help with the correct player settings.

Or, shop for a newer receiver. These are in high demand right now due to supply chain constraints, so much so that even refurbed older units are hard to come by. Here are a few I was able to find on Amazon:

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, Todd is correct. While it might not be in the hdmi specs, it is often used for audio only, particularly when content management is needed.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with @ManW_TheUncool in that the problem has yet to be fully diagnosed. The best solution won't materialize until it is. According to what I see on Crutchfield [see below] the receiver should not be a source of any audio quality issues if it is good working order and you're using good cables, etc. I used [and still have in my storage room] the TX-SR805 for many years and had no such problems. They're essentially the same with the 805 adding an extra 30 claimed WPC.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Of course, Todd is correct. While it might not be in the hdmi specs, it is often used for audio only, particularly when content management is needed.
I've also encountered fewer HDMI handshake issues when I connect using the two HDMI method.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
So in looking for a new receiver in the next year, I’d appreciate your recommendations. I saw a few posted, and thank you, but I’d like to move up a little in power and have the option of adding 2 more speakers. Here’s what I’ve been looking at but I’d welcome suggestions. I just ordered a Monolith 15” sub and will also be purchasing three Hsu CCB-8’s in the next year

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
To make an intelligent choice of a replacement receiver a little information is needed about your current environment. For starters...

• Approximate room size [Sq ft or Cu ft]
  • Number of speakers
  • Manufacturer/model of Left, Center and Right [LCR] speakers
  • Impedance of LCR speakers
For the record, I still believe your current receiver is fine. Those Onkyo's were rock solid despite running hot. If I understood your initial post, the Panasonic Blu Ray player is what changed and introduced the issue, not the receiver. If you're just ready to replace it however, you might find better value in Denon's products as Marantz adds a premium for the name even though they have the same parent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks