What's new

Onkyo vs Bose? (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Rob :)Bose is generally not recommended because their systems either have wild frequency responses or just plain lack high and low frequency response. They are also considered overpriced and designed for WAF and trickery rather than accuracy.While HTIB systems are mediocre to begin with those Onkyo systems are the usual recommended systems for those looking for a budget system.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Thank so much for your input guys. I originally didn't want a HTIB but piecing everything together separate was getting expensive and I couldn't find any small speakers. The wife isn't fond of huge speakers everywhere. I may go with the Onkyo in my link it's on sale at my local best buy for $599.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I actually just came across this maybe I should drop the extra cash?? http://m.futureshop.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=B0001774&lang=en-CA

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
The Take system is small. Small speaker, small sound.That is too much money for an E400 paired with the Take.
Would you happen to have a link in Canada where I could find it cheaper? It does seem pricey even with $300 off on sale.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not price some used speakers on Kijiji(or whatever that is)?

If you are on a limited budget(Which 1000 Canadian isn't exactly limited) used speakers are the number one way to expand your budget.

Personally, I would buy the BIC DV52 over the Take system. 5 of those(with the clrs center) will allow an 80hz crossover, which the Take do not.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I don't trust kijiji too much and I prefer new stuff although I could save a lot of money. I will still have a look at kijiji.I am not on a strict budget if I can come across a good deal on something that is of good quality. Being a newbie to all this I think the HTIB would probably be good to me. I may buy the Onkyo one I posted try it out and if I don't like it I can always return it. I am gonna swing by future shop soon and check out the take system before I make any purchase. I haven't seen it in person or heard it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The letdown of the Onkyo system is the speakers. They aren't very efficient. Lack of efficiency kills the "thrill of the movies".

I would buy "that" AVR(which is sorta the NR515).

There are too many good speaker companies out there to settle for a pre-package.

Fluance(Canadian)
Paradigm(Canadian)
PSB(still Canadian???)

Fluance has sets that are far superior to what is included with the 5600 for barely $300.
http://www.fluance.com/product/AVHTB_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_5_Speaker_System.eng-97.html

Not sure what the Canadian price is though.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Type A said:
Bose is generally not recommended because their systems either have wild frequency responses or just plain lack high and low frequency response. They are also considered overpriced and designed for WAF and trickery rather than accuracy.
In retail we always liked selling Bose products for the high commission we made. But as far as sound, "No highs, no lows? Must be a Bose"

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
What you are saying makes sense and you being way more experienced then me I will take your advice. My problem is the higher quality speakers are also larger in size. The wife factor comes into play lol she doesn't want bulky speakers everywhere but I want quality sound. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no way, at all, I would buy the Take, even at $100, over the Paradigm Atom at $250.

Again...

Take low cutoff is 115hz.
Par Atom is 82hz.

Enormous difference.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would put these as almost equal to the Paradigm Mini-Monitor. These are probably the same price (or even less) than the Paradigm Atom.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/energy-energy-connoisseur-bookshelf-speaker-cb10-2-speakers-cb10/10194362.aspx?path=b81aaf918d2578ed33b7e8fa1541a6f6en02

What you could do...

Pair of the CB10 front with the Take pair for the rear. $350 in speakers(plus whatever the center is. You "could" buy the Take center...but I'd buy the Connoisseur center) and you'd have a set of speakers to keep for 20+ years.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
That set up sounds pretty good I would still need a sub and a receiver. This may be something I will have to slowly put together. Why is the center channel speakers so much money? The connoisseur is almost as much as the other 4 speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause every speaker manufacturer has the "gotcha" going on. You can probably find the Take center(it was never sold individually I don't think), Veritas(which is also on FS.CA) or CC center used.

I bet lots of people bought Energy speakers are reselling them. Reasons?

Found a good deal on Paradigm, PSB, Totem...or any of the others out there for people to find when they get upgrade-itis.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Matter of fact. If you are doing 7.1...Buy the new pair of CB10(maybe even find them used) and pair them with a used Take 5.1. I can't fathom a thought where you couldn't find a used Take 5.0 or 5.1 up there in Canada.

Ruckus

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I actually found a supposedly "new" Energy Take ii 5.1 on kijiji for $300 brand new in the box. I sent a msg and will see if they reply. I was planning on a 5.1 setup but I could buy the CB10's for my up front speakers and sell the two that come with the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks