What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
a thought had been hovering my mind that paints an alternate picture on why blockbuster or popular hits by JamesCameron under the FOX badge didn't get re-release in new format under current ownership of Disney...

what if... ... ...

...due to current ownership of FOX and it's catalog of products, even though LIGHTSTORM may own certain percentage of rights to movies made by JC, the titles ABYSS, ALIEN, TRUELIES, are still properties of current owner of Disney.
hence, Disney have a bigger rights to decide the 3 movies fate. aka, held hostage to make JC work on a new version with his new vision of promoting 3D cinematic technology. irregardless whether the cinematic re-release successful or not, the locks will be unlocked, or still stay in locked conditions if Disney is too concern of box-office earnings.

TITANIC may get/will get a re-release in 4K due to current re-release in cinema in 4K. however, due to the market populated with previous releases, Disney could pull the plug or put a halt for 4K physical media release.

anyway... the above thoughts is my personal "conspiracy theory" for your interest and debate. don't take it too serious... :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well rumors at Disney is that they want to rid themselves of everything that's Fox except Star Wars and a couple of other titles.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well rumors at Disney is that they want to rid themselves of everything that's Fox except Star Wars and a couple of other titles.

Nothing would please me more than Disney offloading a storied studio they purchased and then unceremoniously canceled. But why would they want to get rid of Fox so soon? It's only been, what, 2 years or less since the purchase? If they do sell Fox, hopefully it goes to people who care about the art of filmmaking and not to another bunch of corporate bean counters. What they've done to Fox is reprehensible to say the least.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

So given the lack of follow-up (to refute or rescind that... or just laugh), I guess this was not meant to be heavy sarcasm then? :P

At first, I had thought that might just be sarcasm or the like...

_Man_

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

day long.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

...which would probably include ALL the Cameron titles they own.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's extremely close enough followed by a remark about Disney perhaps not wanting that news leaked.
I'm not going to infer anything from what he said until we see an official press release, or until Cameron himself says yes and gives us a date. There's just too much water under the bridge on this title.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to infer anything from what he said until we see an official press release, or until Cameron himself says yes and gives us a date. There's just too much water under the bridge on this title.

also true

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
This is more non-news. Landau just lent credence to what many have speculated for months/years. I don't doubt that these releases will happen this year, but Hunt should know by now to just lay off these titles until there's a press release.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll believe it when I actually see them on shelves. Don't get the love for The Abyss though? I thought the film was a flop when it was released, but maybe I'm not recalling correctly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll believe it when I actually see them on shelves. Don't get the love for The Abyss though? I thought the film was a flop when it was released, but maybe I'm not recalling correctly.
A movie being a “flop” doesn’t mean it isn’t a good movie or won’t do well on home video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks