What exactly is the JVC XV-SA75GD doing here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Ok, I've got this dvd player hooked to the Toshiba TW40X81 Widescreen HDTV:

When I pop in the Region 4 Friends DVD, which is 4:3, here's what happens:

When I select 16:9 Auto for the Picture Mode, it stretches the picture to fill the screen. When I select 16:9 Normal, it displays the picture in 4:3 mode with black bars on the side.

Now, when I pop in The Abyss, which is non-anamorphic, here's what happens:

When I select 16:9 Auto, I get huge black bars on the top and bottom, which I believe is correct for the non-anamorphic dvd. Yet, when I set the player to 16:9 normal, I get small black bars on the top and bottom, like an anamorphic picture, and it looks damn good.

No change on anamorphic disks.

I wonder which setting is best? I like the effect it has on The Abyss, but I also like the way it stretches the Friends disks to fill the screen.

Oh, and by the way, for some reason, no matter what screen saver mode I have it set to, it won't activate when I have a dvd paused. Any idea why?

2. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

The following discussion assumes a 16x9 TV in "full" mode.

The "16x9 normal" mode with a 4x3 DVD will automatically add side bars to the picture. If it detects that it is a letter-box title it will then zoom it to fill the screen width wise. The JVC does a pretty good job of scaling the picture so that non-anamorphic DVDs look pretty good. Some letter-box DVDs are not coded properly and you end up with black bars on all sides. In this case you can manually zoom it (1 click) to fill the screen width wise.

The "16x9 auto" mode does not modify the picture at all. So with the Friends DVD, since the TV is in "full" mode, the picture will be streched (by the TV I think) to fill the screen, but the aspect ratio will be incorrect. The JVC players and the Panasonic RP91 do a great job of scaling and are very useful with TVs that lock into "full" mode with a progressive signal.

I have one 4x3 DVD (Lonesome Dove) that is apparently mis-coded as a letter-box title. In 16x9 normal mode the JVC automatically scales it (adds side black bars and zooms it), but since it is not letter-box it chops off the top and bottom of the picture. I can correct it by doing a minus zoom which gets me back to black bars on the sides. I hope I was able to explain this clearly because it does get confusing sometimes.

As far as the screen saver I think it only works when the player is in the "stop" position not "pause". I have noticed that after a few minutes in pause the picture gets dimmer. I guess the player is turning down the brightness and/or contrast to prevent burn-in.

Jay

3. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I use the 16x9 normal mode. I have the older model 723, but I think it is basically the the same as yours as far as scaling goes.

Jay

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think that dimming thing IS the screen saver. Sometimes I get a little slow when calibrating with AVIA and the dimming thing happens while I'm not looking and I get all confused, lol.
    I do like the scaling feature, even when I have to trick it into happening with discs that aren't flagged right. Making the "zoom" icon disappear is a pain sometimes when I have to force the scaling, as on Titanic.

5. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator