What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
... ...I and others simply disagree with the notion there's not much market for the release.
there's a certain level of legit-ness to such sentiment.
look around... those who had bought the ABYSS D.C.S.E. 20+yrs back, how many had passed away, and how many new generation movie lovers would appreciate James Cameron's ABYSS since over the period of 30yrs, the direction of SciFi had tilted towards market demands? more dramatic like ABYSS? more terror like LIFE(Ryan Reynolds)? more action like ALIEN2&3&4? or more psychological horror like Event Horizon?
not to forget, with Streaming gaining popularity, the demand of optical disc release faces bigger challenge in market demand.

market demand degrades along with age. it's a phenomenon that applies to everything around us. for example, in months or years time, additional car enthusiasts around the world would likely to jump ship into electric car rather than combustion driven machines. just because in initial moving off, a combustion driver would likely be trying hard to catch up to electric driver... some folks just hate to lose to another in a drag race.

back to movie media, there should be some kind of figures for reference to determine or speculate on possible success in sales to copyright holder.

our discussions and debates here would likely serves as consideration points to copyright holder... whether they're willing to release in optical disc to collectors' favors or just put it straight to streaming, the ball of call is in their park.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd be very pleased to get both Avatar and The Abyss in 4K by March of next year. Or whenever they are released. I'll believe it when I have The Abyss in my hands, but I'll be intrigued until then.

Hopefully it will include Under Pressure, one of the very best "making of" documentaries I've ever seen. It goes hard.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've heard Cameron saying things along the lines of, "Oh, definitely this time," or "It'll be out in the near future." I tire of these games. I will believe it when I see the pre-orders up. But even then...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
there's a certain level of legit-ness to such sentiment.
look around... those who had bought the ABYSS D.C.S.E. 20+yrs back, how many had passed away, and how many new generation movie lovers would appreciate James Cameron's ABYSS since over the period of 30yrs, the direction of SciFi had tilted towards market demands? more dramatic like ABYSS? more terror like LIFE(Ryan Reynolds)? more action like ALIEN2&3&4? or more psychological horror like Event Horizon?
not to forget, with Streaming gaining popularity, the demand of optical disc release faces bigger challenge in market demand.

market demand degrades along with age. it's a phenomenon that applies to everything around us. for example, in months or years time, additional car enthusiasts around the world would likely to jump ship into electric car rather than combustion driven machines. just because in initial moving off, a combustion driver would likely be trying hard to catch up to electric driver... some folks just hate to lose to another in a drag race.

back to movie media, there should be some kind of figures for reference to determine or speculate on possible success in sales to copyright holder.

our discussions and debates here would likely serves as consideration points to copyright holder... whether they're willing to release in optical disc to collectors' favors or just put it straight to streaming, the ball of call is in their park.

We get Blu-rays and 4Ks of movies vastly less famous/in demand than "The Abyss".

And while some of the people who wanted it 20 years ago are dead, you can't assume that there's no one who didn't know of it/care/wasn't born 20 years ago who doesn't want it now.

I mean, simply marketing it as a Cameron movie is gonna help move copies to people who'd never even heard of it.

Some of you guys act like only movies that made $800 million get BD/4K releases. <_<

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is there a market for a disc release of this movie? Of course. Is that market large enough to get Disney to overcome their disinterest in releasing catalog titles on physical media? That's a much bigger hurdle to clear. We shall see.

I agree that it's hard to gauge if Disney feels it's worth their time.

But I've been railing against the notion that the movie isn't popular/in demand enough for a BD and/or 4K release period, which seems to have been part of this discussion.

As noted, we get crazy obscure movies on BD/4K all the freakin' time.

"Abyss" won't sell like proverbial hotcakes, but I'm sure it'll move more units than probably 90% of all the catalog titles we see these days.

Especially if put out along with another big title like "Avatar".

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
But I've been railing against the notion that the movie isn't popular/in demand enough for a BD and/or 4K release period, which seems to have been part of this discussion.

If that's the impression I gave, it wasn't my intent. My skepticism is based on two things:

- The film is owned by Disney, which has no interest in releasing catalog titles on physical media.
- Digital Bits has been slinging this same rumor for 16 g--d--- years in a row. Always the same thing. Never actually happens.

YANG

Screenwriter
We get Blu-rays and 4Ks of movies vastly less famous/in demand than "The Abyss"... ... ...Some of you guys act like only movies that made $800 million get BD/4K releases. <_<
there're things in business operation that is known as demand. and there're things in business operation that is known as routine. last but not least, there're things in business operation known as necessity.
demand, routine, necessity, three factors closely related to costs, and how much it yields in returns, are just simple things that a business operation would take into consideration to put out the product to meet their targets.

a good example would be the ownership of FOX. Disney had already sent a clear message that "WE HAVE NO FU'KIN INTEREST TO PUT OUT CATALOG TITLES IN OPTICAL MEDIAs". and from there... it was good to send a ripple effects to the rest of the globe telling consumers not to expect too much on their catalogued titles, including FOX. streaming contents yields much more earnings than optical medias which is considerably... optional to own in the buyers end, where subscriptions+once a view would generate more monies in return.

if FOX today, goes to the hand of other studios... we might, see some resurfacing of catalog titles... either thru bundling with other titles that bears the new owner studio marque or in exclusivity, just one another FOX independent release.

And while some of the people who wanted it 20 years ago are dead, you can't assume that there's no one who didn't know of it/care/wasn't born 20 years ago who doesn't want it now......I mean, simply marketing it as a Cameron movie is gonna help move copies to people who'd never even heard of it.
i wouldn't deny such possibility. however, if you're to put the price of cost to consumer of "patronizing" to "a catalog movie release", wouldn't it be "economical" with streaming media that beats higher priced optical media... which may end redundant to some, if they, especially younger audience, don't appreciate that old work?
do you like Martin Scorsese's works? most likely do... and have strong attachment to his "gangster flicks" than other genres that MS had touched on such as the older Bringing Out the Dead, Cape Fear and probably the later years work like Wolf of Wall Street as well as Shutter Island.
to put salt onto open wound, majority of younger audiences would recognize Leonardo more than Martin in the latter 2, trust me~~~;);):rolleyes:

YANG

Screenwriter
If that's the impression I gave, it wasn't my intent. My skepticism is based on two things:

- The film is owned by Disney, which has no interest in releasing catalog titles on physical media.
- Digital Bits has been slinging this same rumor for 16 g--d--- years in a row. Always the same thing. Never actually happens.
ehem *cough*... before someone, other than Colin might pull a surprise on the release of HEAT here into the discussion...

YANG

Screenwriter
...My skepticism is based on two things...
nothing wrong with Skepticism, a part of Negativity.

when a person is too Optimistic, he/she would disregard the potential threats or challenges coming from the sides or even unforeseen hurdles some distances ahead in their way towards their goals.
when a person is Negative... with some alertness and preparation, he/she would know what to do or how to deal next when threats, challenges, and hurdles comes to them face to face while they're going towards their goals.

here... in this discussion, we need to high light on the part where the copyright holder had touched on, sent thru their message. with a good history of records from previous rumors and news... to tell folks that nothing is definite. until the next person taking the seat of the highest post, makes the call for change on previous policies made, which might be wrong, or right to their objectives.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've heard Cameron saying things along the lines of, "Oh, definitely this time," or "It'll be out in the near future." I tire of these games. I will believe it when I see the pre-orders up. But even then...

Look at it this way...one group of us will be able to tell the other group of us "we told you so!"

I see it as a win-win.
(I'm being ironic.)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
ehem *cough*... before someone, other than Colin might pull a surprise on the release of HEAT here into the discussion...
Or Home Alone. Or even more to the point, Hocus Pocus.

The real point is that none of us here have any real idea what in the minds of the Powers That Be at Disney make them decide "Yeah, we're not going to release catalog titles on physical media anymore. Well, except this one. And maybe that one over there."

The fact that there have been exceptions to the rule muddies the waters with regard to exactly what persuades them to make an exception. I know that some of us have been befuddled at times as to why Kino, for example, will decide to license "X" and not license "Y". They have their reasons, and those reasons are not meant to be known by mortal men. And some of the titles they decide to go with end up not selling as much as they thought.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Or Home Alone. Or even more to the point, Hocus Pocus.

The real point is that none of us here have any real idea what in the minds of the Powers That Be at Disney make them decide "Yeah, we're not going to release catalog titles on physical media anymore. Well, except this one. And maybe that one over there."

The fact that there have been exceptions to the rule muddies the waters with regard to exactly what persuades them to make an exception. I know that some of us have been befuddled at times as to why Kino, for example, will decide to license "X" and not license "Y". They have their reasons, and those reasons are not meant to be known by mortal men. And some of the titles they decide to go with end up not selling as much as they thought.

While I'd generally agree, I do see why they might think Home Alone and Hocus Pocus made sense -- the former just seems like the kind of perennial crowd pleaser that may have sold consistently well all along (and kept getting reissues) while the latter even had a coinciding sequel made... though of course, no idea why some others like Mary Poppins didn't actually get rereleased in 4K to coincide w/ its sequel...

And while I wouldn't personally want those 2 on 4K disc ahead of The Abyss (or especially True Lies), especially given the whole context of their availability (or lack thereof) on high quality disc formats so far, I can certainly understand the thinking that those would likely sell better and/or yield greater additional side benefits to Disney than those particular Cameron films...

_Man_

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
While I'd generally agree, I do see why they might think Home Alone and Hocus Pocus made sense -- the former just seems like the kind of perennial crowd pleaser that may have sold consistently well all along (and kept getting reissues) while the latter even had a coinciding sequel made... though of course, no idea why some others like Mary Poppins didn't actually get rereleased in 4K to coincide w/ its sequel...

And while I wouldn't personally want those 2 on 4K disc ahead of The Abyss (or especially True Lies), especially given the whole context of their availability (or lack thereof) on high quality disc formats so far, I can certainly understand the thinking that those would likely sell better and/or yield greater additional side benefits to Disney than those particular Cameron films...

_Man_

True enough. But the (two-fold) point is that Disney made exceptions with these titles, and they apparently had reason to believe that these exceptions made sense. While there's no reason to believe that they will ever open the floodgates on catalog titles, there is reason to think that if someone at Disney with enough authority to make it happen thinks that releasing a catalog title on disc is worthwhile, they'll do it. Quite frankly, any James Cameron movie being released as a hanger-on to The Way of Water is probably about as sure a thing as any other title they might consider.

Not UHD, but I remember being astonished that one of the first Fox catalog titles that Disney re-issued on BD was The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The only thing that has astonished me more is that they don't think that a UHD of The Sound of Music is something they should want to do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The only thing that has astonished me more is that they don't think that a UHD of The Sound of Music is something they should want to do.

Maybe they're just waiting til they find someone better than Emily Blunt for a sequel :lol: (or remake?) for the tie-in, LOL...

Too bad they're probably at least a decade (or two) too late to cast Amy Adams for such at this point...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nope...but it's only March
Yeah, just a guess but I'd think that it'll come out at the same basic time (if not the same day) as when Avatar: Way Of Water comes out on disc. Then again, I would have said the same thing back in 2010 when the first Avatar came out on disc. :laugh:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It is a shame when the creative brilliance of so many is held hostage by the greed or ineptitude of so few.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, just a guess but I'd think that it'll come out at the same basic time (if not the same day) as when Avatar: Way Of Water comes out on disc. Then again, I would have said the same thing back in 2010 when the first Avatar came out on disc. :laugh:

That would be my assumption.

Now, when Disney will release Avatar 2 to the home market? They could announce it in the next few weeks. They could wait for a Summer release. I would suspect THE ABYSS will be announced at that point as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks