What's new

*** Official THE INCREDIBLES Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I thought Syndrome looked a lot like Mark Hamill as Cock-Knocker in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
biggrin.gif

Overall great movie. I enjoyed the slow pace to building up the characters and their life. It did feel like everyone was almost whispering during the first 30 minutes. It wasn't like your typical animated feature with voice actors 'overacting' to try and convey emotions. There was a lot of restraint used by the actors, which worked and contrasted nicely with the final act.

My theatre also was light on the bass. Pitty since it sounds like there was plenty to enjoy. Guess I'll wait for the DVD to experience it at its max.

Some of the best moments:

The kids fighting at the dinner table. When violet produced her forcefield to knock down Dash, it got a big cheer from the audience.
smile.gif

Every set/location. Loved the designs, especially the technology on the island.

Dash running on water. That whole sequence actually. Especially the final "I'm alive."

Baby Incredible showing off his powers.

The capes are bad montage.

Stretch getting caught in the doors.

Mr. I. throwing his boss through...multiple walls.

The Omni-bots.

Stretch flipping off the buildings into the sunset.

The boy on the tricicle.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Great movie. Absolutely engaging characters, perfect voice acting. Simply awesome action sequences - not at all repetitive.

There was awesome bass. I saw it in a THX certified theatre.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Well the responses to my posts are disappointing but not unexpected. I had a diatribe to respond to all the other parental diatribes that had nothing to do with what I wrote in my two posts but this isn't the thread to discuss such things.

DaveF, as the only person to understand my post I concede your point

quote:And so, that's not a fair statement. It is a family movie for many families, though not all.

but it does not invalidate my claim that Pixar's promotion of this movie never indicates that this movie was much more mature than the two movies mentioned directly, "A Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" or any previous Pixar movies. Notice I did not and have not said what is age appropriate, a parents' individual decision. I went to their website and reviewed their trailers to see if I had missed something but I do not believe I did. The teaser is the whole comedy bit with Mr. Incredible trying to put on his suit. The other trailers show pretty much most of the physical comedy in the movie, again implying more of the same. I even watched the sneak preview scene on Toon Disney or Disney Channel last week which was the scene where Mr. Incredible fought the robot and wrenched his back, again physical comedy.

For those who wish to discuss parental skill, censorship, and/or watering down movies, please post in another appropriate thread as none of my three posts have mentioned any of those things. The only issue we have was not with the movie "warping our children's fragile little minds" but with Pixar's promotion of the movie causing us to be caught off guard as others here have posted also. Adults with or without children may have been pleasantly surprised at the increased maturity but we were not so excited and it has always been as simple as that.

Chuck Anstey

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
quote:but it does not invalidate my claim that Pixar's promotion of this movie never indicates that this movie was much more mature
Chuck, I didn't really understand that aspect of it, but I see what you're saying. The other movies had violence, death, and some adult innuendos. But the form is different in The Incredibles. And that could make for an unpleasant surprise for some families, like yours.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
quote:

but it does not invalidate my claim that Pixar's promotion of this movie never indicates that this movie was much more mature than the two movies mentioned directly, "A Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" or any previous Pixar movies. Notice I did not and have not said what is age appropriate, a parents' individual decision. I went to their website and reviewed their trailers to see if I had missed something but I do not believe I did. The teaser is the whole comedy bit with Mr. Incredible trying to put on his suit. The other trailers show pretty much most of the physical comedy in the movie, again implying more of the same. I even watched the sneak preview scene on Toon Disney or Disney Channel last week which was the scene where Mr. Incredible fought the robot and wrenched his back, again physical comedy.

Hmm. I see what you're getting at. At the same point, I found a lot of the moments in Monsters, Inc. far more scary at a kid level then Incredibles.

However, I do acknowledge that the film probably should have been marketted to a slightly different audience; more like the same audience who enjoyed _Spy Kids_ etc. And I understand the argument that you don't see it as for little kids (say below 8)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I still think it's tempest in a teapot. It wasn't THAT much more mature than say, Finding Nemo, (or even Toy Story, for that matter) and I still don't see how it wasn't appropriate for anyone 4 and up. Plus, the rating WAS PG. That should have been enough warning right there. Actually, I don't think this movie deserved a PG rating, for that matter. That points more to, once again, the coddling and softening of what's considered a "kids movie" to only animated household objects and funny talking animals.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Chuck said:

quote:but it does not invalidate my claim that Pixar's promotion of this movie never indicates that this movie was much more mature than the two movies mentioned directly, "A Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" or any previous Pixar movies.

To play devil's advocate, what did you want them to say? It isn't like they could say "From the makers of movies with a lower rating but we don't want you to get confused so we just won't mention them. Oh and Disney." Cars may very well be rated G and I'm sure they will mention "From the makers of The Incredibles."

A PG isn't that much more than a G (in comparison to previous Pixar films), and it is a light PG at that. I could see your argument if say they put out an R-rated animated feature aimed at adults, or even a PG-13. But how they did it, I don't think Pixar mislead anyone in that sense. It is still a family movie, and a fun one at that.
smile.gif

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Now that I think about it, the Toy Story movies had some sexual inneundo too (the Barbie dolls that come alive in the toy store for example).

I don't think The Incredibles goes too much further than that. In terms of violence its a step up, but similarily I think "The Lion King" was probably a step up in that categorey from "Aladdin" and "Beauty & The Beast".

If anything I think younger kids might be more confused about the insurance job that Mr. Incredible ends up settling into.

The only other thing that did particularily stand out in my mind was when the trimmer Mr. Incredible keeps getting pulled back into the house for (presumably) a romp in the hay with a pretty happy looking Mrs. Incredible. The whole "mid-life" crisis thing is more of an adult theme though, I think it's the first time that's there's been an entire theme in a Pixar film aimed at older viewers.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
While I can appreciate Chuck's position as a parent, it's not up to the studio to educate you on what may or may not be appropriate for 'your particular family' beyond a PG rating. It is up to you as a parent to educate yourself on what the movie you are taking your kids to see actually contains. But actually accusing the studio of misleading you is a little unfair.

I am also of the idea that Monsters, Inc. had way more frights and adult innuendo than the Incredibles.

I saw this without my kids and was saying to my wife the whole time how much I thought my 4 year old son would love this movie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"This movie is about Family dealing with superpowers in which they can't used because of past problems

Ill bet anything Fantastic Four wont do the job The Incredibles did. I dont even need to see a Fantastic Four movie now

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
quote:Now that I think about it, the Toy Story movies had some sexual inneundo too (the Barbie dolls that come alive in the toy store for example).

Or how about when Buzz Lightyear's wings pop out in reaction to Jessie at the end of Toy Story 2.

biggrin.gif

As for bass, the 35mm version had plenty of bass, but the DLP showing did not. Go figure.

John Chow

Second Unit
I think really the main difference between the Incredibles and previous movies is that it had long, drawn out action scenes. I don't really think it's fair to compare the implied death scenes, since really the opening of nemo with nemo's mom could be considered worse than anything in the Incredibles.

I can understand the feeling of being misled, since all the trailers show are comedic moments, with barely a single action sequence. On the other hand, I can't think of a single action sequence that could be cut into a trailer to really give a fair impression of what the movie holds. Of course this is all under the assumption that the objections are based off of the violence, and not off of other things that I may have already overlooked.

I would say the PG rating and the longer length should have been a giveaway to atleast wait a week to see what the initial reviewers said. I think in general it's fairly hard for an animated film to get a PG rating, so any time one does it should set of warning bells.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
quote:The only issue we have was not with the movie "warping our children's fragile little minds" but with Pixar's promotion of the movie causing us to be caught off guard as others here have posted also. Adults with or without children may have been pleasantly surprised at the increased maturity but we were not so excited and it has always been as simple as that.
The movie was rated PG. 'Nuff said.

--

H

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Its just further evidence that our society likes to blame everything on someone else (preferably a successful company) than to take any personal responsiblity for the lives of ourselves or our children. And I say this as a husband and father of two (10 and 1).

What exactly would you have liked Pixar to do? Not mention the movies that have been successful from them? Not do what every studio in the industry does by only showing the more marketable aspects of the movie? Should it have just been a preview of all the deeper adult moments combined with all the objectionable material to show everyone that "Hey, don't bring your kids to this, the whole movie is filled with this kind of stuff!"?

Ridiculous. If you can't be troubled to read the rating on the movies poster and/or wait for some reviews before taking you child to the movie (something I do for every movie I take my son to...you can't be too careful) then you shouldn't be complaining about it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Pixars first teasers are usually a short that doesnt end up in the film (Mr I tryint to squeeze into his belt)

"I can understand the feeling of being misled, since all the trailers show are comedic moments, with barely a single action sequence."

The trailers are full of action. They also show explosions, comic book action/violence,missiles chasing a plane,bad guys firing guns, the entire family held in captivity, and ElastiGirl looking at how fat her butt has gotten in the mirror.

Right under the PG rating it also says "Some material may not be suitable for children"

I think even if they had added something like "Some mature themes" after the sentence above, people would STILL bring their younger children thinking "Pixar/Disney = family entertainment"

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
What was the deal with

Spoiler:baby Jack Jack turning into a devil creature?

Has anyone seen any comments from Pixar about that? It was just so strange. Was there a point to it?

Other than that, I loved the movie. Just amazing.

Favorite small touch: after Syndrome tells Mr. Incredible "I've outgrown you", he wipes his nose with his hand (just like a child) as he walks away.

I still want Pixar to go back to making G rated films (a PG flick is fine with me every now and then). Nobody does G-rated family fun better than Pixar.

-Reagan

RichardK

Second Unit
I saw The Incredibles on opening Friday afternoon. We sat in a packed house (DLP screening, GREAT sound). The place was 80/20 kids to adults. My children (two girls) are 5 1/2 and 3. The 5 1/2 yr old enjoyed the movie, never once got scared. the 3yr old fell asleep for the last 30 minutes, when she was awake she didnt express any fear or 'daddy hold me' moments. Both have watched with 'Parental Guidance' action movies in the PG and PG13 rating.

A quick observation from the movie...were the characters supposed to look like action figures? i havent seen the film version but the DLP showing had the characters looking to me like rubber/plastic like an action figure would look like. Did anyone else notice this or ...?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Jack-Jack:

Spoiler:He's a shape-shifter! First he was a fire-baby, then he turned all silver and heavy! His last trick was to turn into a devil-baby!

Cool powers for such a little guy.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
quote:Spoiler:baby Jack Jack turning into a devil creature?

Spoiler:Those were his superpowers finally emerging. Because we only saw it at the end, it was hard to get a sense on what exactly his power was, but my assumption is that he's a shapechanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks