What's new

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Those two scenes are some of my favorite moments in the entire saga.

On the topic of event movies, they might not be over but they're over for me. I mean I want to see Superman, Spider-Man 3, Harry Potter and tons of other movies that don't even exist yet but I won't be counting down the days and going to the midnight showing like I did for every Star Wars movie. :)

FredK

Second Unit
OBI-WAN: I can't watch any more.

YODA: Destroy the Sith, we must.

OBI-WAN: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.

YODA: To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not.

OBI-WAN: He is like my brother ... I cannot do it.

YODA: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is . . . Consumed by Darth Vader.

The beginning of my last great hour at the movies - even when there's a better movie to watch it doesn't come with the personal expectations and years of internet hype that surrounded the end of ROTS. There'll be more event movies, but bigger?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Like I said, SW is special. But bigger? Sure...Jim Cameron's return to cinema will be bigger :D At least for me. I've been waiting 9 years for that...you can bet I'll be counting days and minutes. I'll probably see Superman at midnight (it's Superman!). But I get excited about movies. I love movies, so any movie by a great director is something to celebrate. In terms of public opinion...nothing will ever match SW for expectation. But we will get better movies (not as many as I'd like...but some), so that's worth a lot.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there will ever be another EVENT movie like a Star Wars film. If you look at box office trends, less and less people are going to the movies these days to begin with and the lack of a sure-fire success like Star Wars just makes things worse. I'm not saying this is the end of big summer blockbuster movies as we know them, but I do think that Episode III was in many ways the end of an era.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The only way I can tolerate the sequels is via the bonus disc that came with the ROTS soundtrack. John Williams work is the single bridge the links the two trilogies and the only thing worth revisiting for me.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Party pooper ;)

I didn't expect to feel so strongly for Anakin during this movie, but I did, majorly. Especially as he lay there defeated. In that scene, every choice Lucas made regarding Anakin in the PT, paid off for me. I wasn't just feeling sorry for the cocky hero I'd gotten to know in ROTS, or for the petulant teenager of AOTC, but also for the cherubic little boy I met in TPM. It was at that moment that Jake Lloyd's casting made sense to me. We needed to know Anakin at his most pure, to fully appreciate the tragedy of his fall. It took me six years, but what a payoff :emoji_thumbsup:

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Another criticism some people bring up about ROTS is Darth Vader's "NOOOOOO!" We debated this here a few months ago on the HTF. Some felt Vader's scream seemed cheesy and weak and is not what they remember about Vader in the OT, while others (like myself) have argued that this was Lucas' intent all along, to show how far he had fallen and how much he lost. Now I've just watched Spider-Man 2 again recently, and I noticed the Doc Ock scene in the hospital is pretty much identical to Vader's birth scene! Both characters are operated on and then pretty much trash everthing in sight. But get this, Doc Ock does the EXACT same anguished scream of "NOOOOOO!" complete with exaggerted gestures!

So what I wanna know is, what don't people criticize Sam Raimi or Alfred Molina for cheesy overacting?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Because Lucas is the devil, of course. What are you, new? ;)

If Lucas does it, it's cheesy.

If ANYONE ELSE ON EARTH does it, it's inspired.

I love everything about Vader's awakening. James Earl Jones did an excellent job reminding us that this may be suited Vader, but it's still 20-something Anakin behind the mask. His tentative, frightened question... "Is she safe..? Is she alright..?" is perfect. The scream works wonderfully, because it expresses his anguish far better than wordless grunting or yelling would have.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Now get your 7'2" asthmatic ass back here, or I'm gonna tell everyone what a whiny bitch you were about Padamame or Panda Bear or whatever the hell her name is! Oh, geez, he's crying!"

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, the Spider-Man 2 scene played in a much different film than ROTS. Raimi's lead up was more in tune with the delivery, and Molina had set up the character to be more sympathetic than Hayden had. The scenes are similar...the tones are not. And that scene didn't close out the 6th film in a saga. In a lot of ways I prefer ROTS...in a lot of ways I prefer Spidey 2. Different, different films. I also doubt anyone was calling that scene inspired, except for the Evil Dead cam...which was inspired. Besides, if Lucas is ripping off Raimi...good choice.

I *DO* understand the criticism of the NOOOOOO! scene. Completely. I didn't mind it, but the delivery isn't just over-the-top, it's grade A cheese. It kind of deflates the power of the scene, because it's so cliche.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I've just never understood that criticism. And besides, I think it better describes Palpatine's transformation scene--not Vader's NOOOO. I thought McDiarmid was far more cheesy in that scene than Vader at the end.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

Yeah, Portman's contribution to the strong emotionality of the last hour is underrated.

You're going to kill him, aren't you?

Good stuff. :emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Being a fan of the classic Frankenstein films of the thirties, I loved the monster walk that Vader did when released from his shackles. And the "NOOOOO!" has never bothered me in the least.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
There are not many perfect films. Perfect in my eyes anyhow. These are films that I wouldn't alter a thing: The Original Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Fellowship of the Ring-EE, and almost Titanic. Just a bit down the line is Revenge Of The Sith. There are a few...just a few moments I would have changed or cut out. Not huge things but it does keep it from "Timobi's Perfect List" :D Still, like we've mentioned, those brief moments don't in any way detract from this film's power or resonance.

Bryan, that is a FANTASTIC moment and that cue is among my favorites when OBW utters "Anakin's the father isn't he?"....Ewan absolutely NAILED that scene and really all his scenes in ROTS.

Mike,
Portman is underrated in this one. She was rather wooden in TPM & AOTC and her performance in ROTS was meaningful and her expressions said a thousand words that she didn't have to.

It's always fun to re-vive a thread, especially one like the ROTS thread a year later. Kind of cool.

I think we should take Lou out and beat him. :D or force him to listen to SLJ's dialogue on headphones all night. :D We love you Lou. A PT Star Wars thread wouldn't be the same without you.

I really am going to watch ROTS Monday evening. Looking forward to the re-visit.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My favorite quiet moment like others here is when Obi Wan confronts Padme looking for Anakin. The music is so moving at that point and when Obi says "Anakins the father isn't he? I'm so sorry" that just kills me everytime. Damn, now you all are going to make me go watch it again....

I also don't mind the Nooooooooooo. I did at first honestly, but then I thought, how would I react if I just found out my pregnant wife was killed by me and my life was ruined because of my choices, hell I might not have handled it that well even.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks