What's new

New Star Wars Trilogy Announced (Rian Johnson) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'll frequently put any Star Wars movie on and just have it on in the background or make sure that I catch a specific scene but the last time I sat down and watched The Phantom Menace from beginning to end was before The Force Awakens came out and I found it to be better than I remembered. On the other hand, I was a little disappointed in Attack Of The Clones the last time I saw it. The stuff I thought was cool was still a ton of fun but the stuff that didn't work really didn't work.

I really disliked "Clones" when I saw it in 2002. In fact, it was the first "Star Wars" film I only saw once theatrically, a status it retained until "Solo".

(BTW, I didn't skip "Solo" a second time because I disliked it. I enjoyed it but didn't think it needed a 2nd viewing, and it left theaters quickly enough that I didn't have a lot of temptation to see it twice.)

I liked "Clones" more on DVD but it's definitely a flawed film. It's probably better than "Menace", though...

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
When asked directly if we will definitively see the Rian Johnson “Star Wars” trilogy in the future, he answers, “God I hope so.”

That doesn’t sound promising.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, nothing about that article made me feel like “this is finally happening”. I wish it WOULD happen, as I LOVE The Last Jedi. 😕
With Knives Out 3 two (?) years away, a probable extended vacation after making those two movies and then getting SW movies rolling, I'm sure these movies are at least 5 years away and probably more so I'm not personally too worried by Johnson saying that it's a matter of scheduling.

Honestly, I had started to give up hope for those movies until that quote or a similar answer to the same question had come out a few weeks ago because it made me think that the project wasn't dead.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Even in a best case scenario, the third film in his trilogy is at least 10 years away.

It doesn’t sound to me like this is anywhere near ready to be scheduled, let alone start pre-production.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As far as I am concerned, The Last Jedi is the final Star Wars thing. Should this happen, Rian Johnson would get me to come back on board. But I'd be just as happy for him to continue making Benoit Blanc films.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
It ain't happening. TLJ is the best of the three, without a doubt. But the truth is, Disney produces an overall inferior trilogy, a lot of fans don't like it because it is inferior, and they blame the fans. When the truth is, Iger rushed the whole thing. He admitted it in his memoir. Abrams even admitted it (finally) that there wasn't enough planning involved. My point: Disney says they can't make anymore movies or anything that isn't a prequel because the fans are too picky, when the truth is, Disney rushed the product. And Iger and Abrams aren't the only ones to admit it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney says they can't make anymore movies or anything that isn't a prequel because the fans are too picky,
Who said this and when?

The Force Awakens and Rogue One and The Last Jedi and that other thing that doesn't exist all made over $1 billion each at the box office. Of course they are going to make more movies. What form those movies will take and when we will see them is an open question right now. But they will come. Disney isn't going to let one of its most valuable properties disappear from the big screen.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’d go see Johnson’s new movies, but I can’t say I’d be thrilled about them. I agree that the sequel trilogy is the weakest of the three, but of those, I have to say that The Last Jedi left me cold. It’s the only Star Wars movie that didn’t make me feel anything. I’m glad it has its fans, but I’m frankly tired of hearing how it was the greatest thing. It subverted expectations for the sake of doing so, and I hate that. Most of the blame falls on Disney and Lucasfilm because there was no plan for the trilogy and Johnson had free reign to disregard whatever he wanted from the previous film. I don’t want to re-litigate a 5-year old movie, and I’m not someone who doesn’t want the series to be fresh (I love Andor for that reason). But purely viscerally, it left me cold. I’d be fine if he didn’t make another Star Wars movie.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would have liked The Last Jedi better if it was a new franchise of science fiction films and not part of Star Wars.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wish. I can't stand the two films from JJ. At least Rian Johnson took the broad stroke of making one shining beam of light (originality) with The Last Jedi. I don't care to see the other two films ever again.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Who said this and when?

The Force Awakens and Rogue One and The Last Jedi and that other thing that doesn't exist all made over $1 billion each at the box office. Of course they are going to make more movies. What form those movies will take and when we will see them is an open question right now. But they will come. Disney isn't going to let one of its most valuable properties disappear from the big screen.
Kathleen Kennedy said it a while back. I don't remember the exact quote, but the first part of it was, "Absolutely no more trilogies." And then she went on to say the Star Wars focus is Disney plus because the fans don't appreciate the movies. That last part was a paraphrase, but that's what she meant. This from a woman who said there was no source material and that they intended to bring back Palpatine "from day one."

So it's just like the original trilogy then?
No, the original trilogy actually tells a cohesive story. The result on the screen means something. And the result is there in the original trilogy.

Episode 9 is an abomination. So it's apples and oranges. Nice try, though.

Lucas got the first movie made. That was the achievement. The other two films were planned to finish the trilogy. Iger did nothing original. Abrams did nothing original (Lucas even told him that to his face). Iger and Abrams stood on the shoulders of a giant, had the keys to the candy store, and pissed it away through lack of planning. And both admitted it.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No, the original trilogy actually tells a cohesive story. The result on the screen means something. And the result is there in the original trilogy.

Episode 9 is an abomination. So it's apples and oranges. Nice try, though.

Lucas got the first movie made. That was the achievement. The other two films were planned to finish the trilogy. Iger did nothing original. Abrams did nothing original (Lucas even told him that to his face). Iger and Abrams stood on the shoulders of a giant, had the keys to the candy store, and pissed it away through lack of planning. And both admitted it.
Abrams and Iger have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. With the original trilogy, Lucas just kept making the movies and he pulled it off. They decided they needed an ultimate weapon again in Jedi so they brought back the Death Star, they showed Wookiees as being technologically capable so they became Ewoks, they made up Yoda because Obi-Wan was killed off, they didn't know who the "another" was, they didn't know if they'd have Harrison Ford for Return Of The Jedi, etc. I'm not saying any of that had a negative impact on the original movies and I'll be the first to say that more of a plan would have likely benefited the sequels but I still don't think there was any real plan for the originals.

As an aside, I think "plans" are vastly overrated by fans and the original trilogy & its lack of planning is proof of that.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Abrams and Iger have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. With the original trilogy, Lucas just kept making the movies and he pulled it off. They decided they needed an ultimate weapon again in Jedi so they brought back the Death Star, they showed Wookiees as being technologically capable so they became Ewoks, they made up Yoda because Obi-Wan was killed off, they didn't know who the "another" was, they didn't know if they'd have Harrison Ford for Return Of The Jedi, etc. I'm not saying any of that had a negative impact on the original movies and I'll be the first to say that more of a plan would have likely benefited the sequels but I still don't think there was any real plan for the originals.

As an aside, I think "plans" are vastly overrated by fans and the original trilogy & its lack of planning is proof of that.
We can agree to disagree. There was an overall plan with the original trilogy, it's in Lucas's original notes. A plan is not details. A plan is "a son redeems a father." That's what the original trilogy is about. Lucas knew that on day one (see Star Wars Poster Book #2, 1978).

The sequel trilogy isn't about anything. Episode 7 is water. Episode 8 is oil. Episode 9 is ... slime. Those movies have hardly anything in common. The directors were working against each other. Abrams creates characters, Johnson kills the heavy and creates new characters, Abrams shelves the new characters in 9. Lucas didn't attend the premiere of 9 because he didn't want to have to say what he thought of it. Mark Hamill said working on that trilogy was like running a relay race. Everyone simply did their lap and didn't care about the other laps or winning the race. These are people who are on the inside, basically agreeing the trilogy was a mess. It's not just a few fans. It was enough to get Johnson's vaunted trilogy delayed (i.e. canceled). He's just saying it's a matter of scheduling to save face.

My brother-in-law worked on part of that trilogy. He said it was the biggest mess he'd ever encountered in his career. Hardly nothing was planned. We're not talking about details like you mentioned in the original trilogy. Those kinds of details are useful to hold off knowing--it creates a sense of spontaneity in the overall plan. Filling in details is one thing; not having a plan is completely something else altogether. That was a big problem with the sequel trilogy--it had too many details without any plan for them to fit into. No big picture. None. Zilch.

Comparing the original SW trilogy, in any way, to the sequel trilogy, is apples and oranges, if you ask me, and that's being kind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks