What's new

*** Official Splinter Cell (X-Box) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
including the one from the demo) and all I can say is that this game is the best game I've played on the XBOx (as a single player, anyway). It's as good as Halo (though not really comparable).
Does anyone know how many missions this game has? Is it 9 missions with about 3 levels per mission?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Well, I can say that I'm 7 missions in and, I'm not at the end yet. I'll admit, I'm kinda bummed that there is only 9 missions?!!? Hoping for a few more.

Anyhoo...the game just keeps getting better the more you go in...and harder.

It's given me another one of those classic gaming moments. You know, the ones that you'll remember for a long time?

Well, just imagine getting busted while trying to sneak across a darkened street, running to an open manhole, sliding down the ladder into the sewers as the guys up above open fire on you. Thinking I'm now safe as I hear the guys up above talking about how I got away, I now slowly make my way through the darkened sewer. The slop makes too many sloshing noises so I get up on the small concrete walkway and continue in. With infrared nightvision on, walking nearly silent, I feel I'm making good progress. Then I hear someone walking down in here with me. SO...I stop, listen...yep, someone slowly walking around. So, I take off the goggles and look down the long, dark sewer.

It's then that I see the guy slowly walking my way,

...as he looks for me with the most realistic in game flashlight I've EVER seen. SHIT!!!!!

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
...as he looks for me with the most realistic in game flashlight I've EVER seen. SHIT!!!!!
Hopefully it "opens up" a wee bit more soon.
In terms of "scripting" that Gamespot bitched about, unfortunately that's part and parcel of this genre. It doesn't do anyone any good to have events that are entirely timed and not triggered ("while I was busy shooting out all the lights and scaring guards, the main antagonist came out, said a speech and left about 1.3 miles away... oh well! Game over!"), nor is it very fun to just deal with an "advanced" AI system that appears to act intelligently all the time but which can't actually perform plotline things. Maybe there's a fine line you could dance (as a developer) to provide that kind of experience, I don't know.
I hope to be able to get into this more soon. Of course, I'll have to divide time between this and NHL2K3, but that's life. :)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Brian, the burning building part is a bit "hemmed in" feeling as you put it, but the rest of the parts I've played aren't. I think they just wanted to give you the "I must get through here quickly or I'll be burned to death" urgency & get you used to listening to directions from your OPSAT.
I was going to post some impressions last night, but I couldn't stop playing. I will say that I've had 2 bugs so far, not a big deal but annoying:
-The game froze on me during the training mission. :frowning:
-On level 2, I fell off a ledge & landed (safely) on a rooftop, where I was stuck & had to re-load the previous checkpoint.
Cool game. :)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Okay, Michael, I can see that the odds are VASTLY against me here, what with all the people weighing on how much they loved the full version of the game. It is like challenging a mob of people to a fistfight or whatever. Nonetheless, I can't resist the opportunity to respond, and to defend my original comments (most of them, anyway.)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: To everyone who may weigh in and respond to my post by arguing simply that it is pointless, a waste of time to read, STOP RIGHT HERE. DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS POST. SKIP TO THE NEXT ONE. You'll be happier.
Okay, having got that straightened out ...
Michael wrote:
"I have had no problem whatsoever with the aiming system. If you want a good shot you have to use 2 hands to steady your aim."
Using two hands versus one hand to steady your aim has nothing to do with what I wrote, Michael. I didn't complain about using two hands. Using two hands is fine. I just didn't like the way the aiming was implemented. Turning your entire body in a complete circle without moving your feet just looks silly. The effect seemed unbelievable to me - even WITHOUT looking down to see Fisher's entire body rotating as if by magic (I only mentioned looking at the ground in case someone didn't know what I was talking about). This is something that most next-generation games I've played get right, and it seems like a very SIMPLE thing to me. What if Fisher walked without moving his feet. Would that seem strange to you? If he glided?
"If you want to run and gun try Unreal."
Again this has nothing to do with anything I wrote. I never complained about a lack of action or an emphasis on stealth. I actually like stealth games. I thought Thief was great.
"We went over this here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...threadid=105876 and I proved that you were wrong in this case. You obviously shot out the lights in the hall. If you open the door with the lights on in the hall he shoots you EVERY time. Nuff said."
Fair enough. Except, as you yourself point out, you already said this - and I did not contradict you. For the record I just went back and tried to duplicate my original experience and this time I did get spotted by the guard. I don't remember shooting out the lights, but since I wasn't able to duplicate it, I will grant you this point. You are correct. You may be right as well about it being clear that Fisher and his control agent (or whatever he is called) already knew the other two agents were dead. I haven't bothered to go back and recheck this.
quote:
"When you write as many Best Sellers as Tom Clancy then we'll talk."
Here it seems you are trying to suggest that A) I am not in a position to judge the quality of Clancy's writing, because I have not written a best seller, and B) the fact that Clancy sells a lot of books - means he is a good writer.
To answer A, I have not sold millions of albums, but I can confidently state that Britney Spears, N'Sync, etc (take your pick) are not excellent musicians, even though they have sold millions of CDs. (Sorry all you Spears and N'Sync fans out there). In other words, it is not necessary to have made a thing, in order to offer critical judgment of that thing or similar types of things.
As an example, how many people writing about Splinter Cell - or any other game on this forum - have actually made a video game themselves? Are the opinions of those that have not, somehow invalid? By your logic, they would be. Only BrianB would then be in a position to comment on the quality of this or that game, and many of the threads in this forum would thus cease to exist. We judge numerous creations, without having created them, all the time. I like this car, that movie, this house, etc.
As for B), see A) again. Just because a thing SELLS well, is no indication of its quality. Badly made things sell really well all the time, and well made things often sell poorly. Van Gogh didn't sell any paintings during his lifetime. Was he a bad painter while he was alive, but a good painter after his death - since his paintings now go for millions?
All sales figures tell you is exactly that - how many were sold. In terms of the marketplace, that is of course the only measurement that matters, but in terms of the actual quality of a thing, it is a poor way to judge. Popularity is not the same as quality.
"Again, this comes down to personal taste."
It does and it doesn't. I'm not trying to tell you that YOU shouldn't like the demo. I'm only telling you WHY I didn't like it. So, in that way, is a matter of personal taste. It's fine with me if you liked the demo. It is also fine with me if you like Clancy novels. But your liking Clancy doesn't make him a good writer, just like all those people who disliked the work of Van Gogh don't make him a bad painter. And yes, there ARE standards by which to judge whether he is or is not a good writer, or whether someone is or is not a good painter, apart from whether you or I like the work involved, and NO I am not going to get in to them here, because that would be an endless discussion, and this is post is going to be long enough as it is.
"Most of your gripes don't even seem to be about the game itself. Maybe Splinter Cell is just not your "cup of tea"? Not because it's flawed but because you just don't seem to like it ... "
But like I said, stealth games ARE my "cup of tea." Most of them anyway. For the most part, I didn't like the demo BECAUSE I thought it was flawed. True, some of my examples, like the guard spotting you after you open the door, were wrong. Others, like my complaint about the inverted aiming, were correct as far as the DEMO went. Remember, my original post was about the demo, NOT the full version, which of course was not out yet. I am happy to hear that this has been changed in the full version. As for the fact that Fisher is able to turn in a complete circle without moving his feet, yes I do still see that as a flaw and not a matter of opinion. How IMPORTANT it is, is a different matter. To me it stuck out and lessoned the believability of the game, to you it is no big deal. And that IS a matter of opinion. Remember I never said that the demo "was no good." I simply said that I wasn't impressed with it. It is totally fine with me if you were. In some, more intangible sense, however, I think you are right. The demo just didn't come together for me the way it has for many people here, and that may be due to some unspecified personal preference of mine.
"Maybe you should give the full version a sample before judging."
I totally agree with you. Did I say that I wouldn't? I thought I indicated that I still held out hope for the full version, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. I intend to rent the full version before making any final judgment on the game.
Hope I haven't offended you with any of my arguments, as I found your posts to be respectful and intend mine to be as well.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Good points, James. I haven't written any novels either, but I have read hordes of them (can books come in hordes? can you imagine a horde of sabre-weilding books charging at you across a dusty plain?). Anyhow, my point is that I find most of Clancy's novels as boring as the forty-third hour of the national hair-growing championships. However, I find almost all of the games that come out under the Clancy name very enjoyable. Splinter Cell has just become my favorite of these. I played the demo a ridiculous amount of times and plan to do the same with the game. It's just phenomenal. Ok, I'm going to go play it some more now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
part said:
Not at all. I just hope that you can look at some of the things you've said about the Demo and see that maybe you didn't give it a close enough look.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"Good points, James."

Hey, thanks! I was expecting to get slamned, although there is still plenty of time for that.

"However, I find almost all of the games that come out under the Clancy name very enjoyable."

Oddly enough, so do I, ChrisV. I loved the Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear games. They were the very first FPS of their kind and are still in some ways unmatched. By the time Black Thorne came out though, the graphic's engine was getting a little musty. Which is why I can't wait for the new Rainbow Six game (can't remember the full title) coming out for the PC (maybe the Xbox too) featuring the very latest version of the Unreal engine. It will also be the first one to feature onscreen weapons, and they are going to be positioned dead center, like the guns in the original Doom, instead of off to the side (you can blame DukeNukem for that). This is one of the few games I am really looking forward to on the PC.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Which is why I can't wait for the new Rainbow Six game (can't remember the full title) coming out for the PC (maybe the Xbox too) featuring the very latest version of the Unreal engine. It will also be the first one to feature onscreen weapons, and they are going to be positioned dead center, like the guns in the original Doom, instead of off to the side (you can blame DukeNukem for that). This is one of the few games I am really looking forward to on the PC.
FYI, the game is called Raven Shield, and the multiplayer demo was just released last week. I won't go into detail here, but it's easily the best looking game in the series. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on the gameplay yet (but it *is* just the demo, with the release several months away still).

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I downloaded that multiplayer demo, but I ended up deleting it because it froze on my system, I have no idea why. (Most games run fine). I couldn't even get into the game, it just locked up on the menu system. Anyway I'm not that much into online gaming, seeing as how I'm stuck with a lowly 56k. Single player Raven Shield is what I'm looking forward to. Hopefully the gameplay and AI there will be worth looking forward to (and it won't freeze on my machine ...)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I played most of the CIA level last night and this game just continues to impress!:emoji_thumbsup: I find this level to be one of the most challenging so far. I love a game that makes you come back for more and just doesn't roll over and let you walk all over it. I can't wait to try some of the new gadgets and weapons that are starting to show up.:)
Has anyone here tried the "Sticky Cam"? If so how does it work? I picked one up during this level but haven't really had a chance to try it. (Too busy hiding in the shadows)
One more thing, what level of difficulty is everyone playing Splinter Cell on? I went for "Hard". It's tough but not totally unreasonable. :D

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I finished the CIA level yesterday too, (took me 4 hours!)

Incredible level, with the rain, and everything. I really love the new gun.

About the sticky camera, just equip it on the gun and use the secondary fire to stick to a wall. Afterward, you can rotate the camera, and even use Night and Heat Visions. Cool thing: If you look at yourself, you see Sam Fisher looking at his Palm.

Anybody tried the Sticky Shocker? It's hilarious.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Fred!
This was taken from an online chat (going on now) with UBI Soft.(From what I was told)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Micheal, don't be too shy in using the sticky camera. You can pick it up after you've fired it & use it again...as long as you shoot it somewhere that it can be reached. It's quite cool. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dan

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I think I made a mistake? I don't have the sticky cam but I do have a bunch of sticky shockers. I shot one against a wall but I can't seem to get it to do anything? Maybe I'll give the manual a once over.

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know when Blockbuster or Hollywood Video will be renting this game? I called them both today, and it's "not in our systems" they say.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, MS only has the exclusive rights to this game through the end of the year, so GameCube/PS2 versions could be coming out in the future.

Just thought you might like to know.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Ahahahah, funny signature that is!

as an aside...I think his review/score was perfectly reasonable...it's certainly not that far off anyway. Silly insecure people & review scores.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks