What's new

*** Official Splinter Cell (X-Box) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The Gamespot reviewer seems to have some valid points; the fact that the missions are heavily scripted and in-game events don't trigger by time, but rather by your progress through a level. Those two things would effectively hinder replayability by making the game predictable and non-urgent.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah i still agree with you Romier, i played the demo at Futureshop, man it was nice... Too bad i dont have an xbox :p) I want one so bad

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"The Gamespot reviewer seems to have some valid points;"

I agree 100 percent, Masood.
After reading some criticisms of the review itself, I just read it myself and found it to be entirely reasonable. The reviewer seemed consistently fair. After reading reviews of the review, you would have thought it TRASHED the game, but 8.6 is a pretty decent score in my book. Sure, the reviewer doesn't seem to view the game as the absolute masterpiece some had anticipated, but so what? He's reviewing the game, not anticipations.

Do there seem to be any substantial differences noted between the demo and the full version? As I said in another thread, I wasn't very impressed with the demo, in spite of my own (very favorable) expectations, and was hoping the full version would reveal some major improvements.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, I was looking at Splinter Cell as a reason to ask for an X-Box this Christmas, but considering that MGS2:Substance, a sub-par port of a one year old game on more powerful hardware than the original, scored BETTER than Splinter Cell, the MGS-smasher, I'm not so sure anymore.

It should be noted that MGS2 got a 9.6 when it came out, so a more valid comparison would be between the 9.6 and Splinter Cell's 8.6, which just looks even worse. Also, the same guy reviewed all 3 games.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"To tell the truth, I was looking at Splinter Cell as a reason to ask for an X-Box this Christmas"

There are plenty of good reasons and/or games to point you toward buying an Xbox, Morgan, even if Splinter Cell turns out not to be one of them. I find it hard to believe you think that could be the ONLY great game out for the Xbox. If that's true, it means you'd be willing to buy an entire system just for ONE game - even knowing that game was also coming out for the PC. Are you independently wealthy or something?

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Who cares what the reviews say?
Since when is 8.6 a bad score?
Since when does someone else judge what you will buy?
That is what rentals are for.

Every website/mag that reviews games scores & looks at things differently. If you think 8.6 is bad - then Super Mario Sunshine is an awful game...

The best judge of anything is always you.
If you don't try something, but just say outright that it's awesome or crap, then you opinion means nothing to me.

Calvin -

who remembers there once was a time where EGM never gave out 10's for a game review...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
James-

What I said was that SC was A reason, not THE reason. I don't play games on PC because it's much more of a financial investment than consoles plus I could better spend the money on games instead of hardware, so I would only get it for X-Box. Also, I have very little interest in most of the X-Box's games, with maybe 3 that truly interest me to the point that I'd actually buy them.

Back to the topic, it should be noted that the GameSpot reviewer also reviewed Metroid Prime, so there could have been some sort of a subconscious comparison between the two that could have lowered SC's score.

Anyone know the IGN score for MGS2 and MGS2:Substance?

Dan B

Screenwriter
:laugh:
Well considering I've played the demo of Splinter Cell for hours I can't wait to get my copy of the game.
-Dan "I will not buy a Gamecube just for Metroid" B.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Sorry guys, my mistake! I really had no idea but it won't happen again. :frowning:

ChristopherS

Second Unit
ask said:
Morgan,
If you were expecting Santa to get you a XBOX why not just ask him to get you those other three games you like at the same time. As it is only November 18th, you still have plenty of time to post that letter to the North Pole. You could e-mail Santa but since you are asking for all three good games for the XBOX you should take the time to put it in writing. :D
Chris

Kami

Screenwriter
I've read the gamespot and Xbox Magazine reviews but none mention how many hours of gameplay you get out of this? They say 9 levels...well, is it really only NINE missions? Seems rather short...or does this take a long time? Did the IGN review mention how many hours it took to beat?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
or does this take a long time? Did the IGN review mention how many hours it took to beat?
Your looking at a game that is around 12-15 hours to beat. The missions from what I have read are large and the difficulty is such that you wont be beating the game in one weekend.

Also there will be more missions added via Xbox Live (Supposedly one more mission will be available in early 2003, with three more to follow shortly afterwards).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This is now an Official thread for all Splinter-Cell releated reviews and discussion. Any subsequent threads may face deletion and or closure without advance warning blah blah blah. :)
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks