1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Like you said, it'll most likely never happen, and if they ever got the needed funds, The Alamo would be first.

2. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Per agreement between MGM/Studio Canal, MGM got to keep the North American home video rights to all AVCO/Embassy titles they had previously released on DVD (The Producers, The Onion Field, The Lion in Winter, etc) and lost the rights to the ones they didn't (Winter Kills, Soldier Blue, etc).

Lionsgate through a licensing deal controls the North American rights to the complete Studio Canal library with a few exceptions, through a licensing deal, they did not purchase them.

PMF, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    Mister Lime--Any chance of CARNAL KNOWLEDGE and RICH IN LOVE from MGM?

4. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    I remember Criterion having phantom pages for Carnal Knowledge's cast (it was one of the guesses from phantom pages in the other forum in some past month), but I'm not sure if they will release it eventually.

5. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    After our announcement of the Sergio Leone masterpiece, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, some fans shared their concerns regarding the "yellowishness" of the 4K restoration. We looked into this issue and here are some split screen of the before and after work.

Unknown-1. Unknown-2. Unknown-4. Unknown-5. Unknown-6. Unknown.

Richard V, Kenneth_C, SAhmed and 19 others like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Immense improvement!

7. Dave S.G.

Dave S.G. Stunt Coordinator

David
    Thank you! This was my only stumbling block. Can't wait to finally retire my DVD.

battlebeast and PMF like this.
  8. Poya Eivazmohammadi

Poya Eivazmohammadi Auditioning

HBarnill
    Not to sound ungrateful but it could still use some more work. The blacks are still crushed and the yellow tint is still there; it just looks teal now. Keep up the good work, though.

9. Lil Brutto

Lil Brutto Agent

LB
    Agreed. It's a step in the right direction but there's a long way to go in correcting the colors and other aspects of the image. I suspect that there's only so much your people can correct the "yellowish" 4K master.

Don't retire that 20-year old DVD just yet.

revgen likes this.
  10. Message #4890 of 6513 Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    There are Posts concerning the Sound on "The Lion in Winter" and the Color Palate tweaks on "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".
    I believe that if these two films got definitively nailed within their due corrections, then this could become Kino's opportunity and calling card to rivaling the Olive Signature series; ala "High Noon" and "The Quiet Man".
    And if such warranted tweaks and adjustments were to lead to an announced delay, then no shame;
    as I am altogether certain that we will all gladly wait, be patient and be supportive.
    And what if it become mandatory for Kino to do a market price increase for such restorative work?
    Well, then, that would have to require our support, as well.
    HTF members, please hit the "Likes" button if you agree to this sentiment; as nothing is for free.
    Wishing Kino success on these two transfers.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Suzanne.S, SAhmed, atfree and 5 others like this.
  11. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

JP
    Misterlime, question about the Selznick library...now that we know you acquired (or rather sub-licensed) the second portion of the Selznick library from ABC/Disney, the door is pretty much open to a definitive collection of nearly all the major films, except, of course, "Gone With The Wind" (now with WB/Turner) and the 1957 version of "A Farewell To Arms" (now with Fox, although your current deal with Fox leaves the door open for the latter film to be issued through your label). Does this mean you will now access from Disney the restored original elements to two films that are in the public domain ("Nothing Sacred" and "Made For Each Other"--unless the copyright on the latter film is still owned by ABC/DIsney)? I do understand the Selznick/PD titles you issued before were authorized by Selznick's estate and the Library of Congress. Also, will you also issue the two versions of "Gone To Earth", assuming Disney has this too?

Will Krupp and PMF like this.
  12. DannyLewis

DannyLewis Agent

Excellent questions.

By the way, Kino is releasing the 1957 version of A Farewell to Arms, through their deal with Fox.

PMF and Flashgear like this.
  13. Message #4893 of 6513 Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

That also applies to the 1937 "A Star Is Born" which Kino also released via Selznick Estate print. I guess there is a question of who has the original elements, ABC/Disney or Warner Bros. due to the rights to remake the film being sold to Warner Bros. I believe it included the rights to the original film to keep Selznick from re releasing the original film to compete with the 1954 remake. I wonder what an authorized edition from the Selznick Estate means other than they made a print they own available as a basis to produce a blu ray. The Selznick Estate has no ownership of the films.

Will Krupp likes this.
  14. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Death Rides a Horse (1967) Starring Lee Van Cleef, John Phillip Law, Mario Brega, Luigi Pistilli and Anthony Dawson - Shot by Carlo Carlini (The Big Gundown) - Music by Ennio Morricone (For a Few Dollars More) - Written by Luciano Vincenzoni (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) - Directed by Giulio Petroni (Tepepa)

Death_Rides.

Reggie W, SAhmed, TheSteig and 6 others like this.
  15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Thank You Kino. The Mercenary and Death Rides a Horse just made my month!

16. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

JP
    You guys answered some of my Selznick questions pretty good.

One thing I forgot to mention...either Fox or Universal Television has the elements to the original 1937 "Farewell To Arms", and Fox did the remake, but they failed to renew the copyright there. Being a pre-'50 Paramount release...

...and prints do exist with the WB logo ( they reissued the film at one point--if someone can tell me why they did, that would be great).

PMF likes this.
  17. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Coming Soon From Kino Classics!
    First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Manhandled (1924) Starring Gloria Swanson, Tom Moore, Lilyan Tashman, Ian Keith and Frank Morgan - Directed by Allan Dwan

Poster - Manhandled (1924)_01.

RMajidi, Rodney, Suzanne.S and 5 others like this.
  18. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    And the anticipations remain at an altogether high.:thumbs-up-smiley:

SAhmed likes this.
  19. Message #4899 of 6513 Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Since what I see on my viewing system looks nothing like the green/yellow caps that are relentlessly posted, I'll be curious to see what Kino has done to this - listening to "fans" is not always the way to go. There has been much talk of the 35mm IB Tech print shown at the New Beverly recently and how different it looked - of course it did - it was shown with a Xenon bulb and the print was not timed for such a light source - it was timed for carbon arc projection and anyone thinking any Tech print will have any accuracy in terms of color when projected with a Xenon bulb is, well, wrong. And all the people saying "they haven't gone far enough" are basing these comments on screen caps - no, no, and no. And no again. Li'l Brutto, of course, is in possession of a Tech print and has posted clips and caps galore from it - but again, if it's not being capped and/or clipped with a light source that at least resembles carbon arc light, then it's all completely meaningless.

20. Message #4900 of 6513 Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    One of the main reasons we acquired THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY was to FINALLY release the beloved theatrical cut. Many of the older fans who grew up watching the original disliked and even hated the extended cut, not just because it almost ruins the masterpiece, but also because it had completely replaced the original.

We had no idea the 4K restoration had some complaints due to the overall yellowishness of the master. We decided to do our own tests and agreed that it was a bit too yellow, so we did some minor color correction to create a version we feel is closest to the prints we had all seen screened many times and we don't agree with fans who think we should've gone further to create the look of the old releases, which we felt were too blue. What we'll be releasing will be the essential Blu-ray release of the classic, it will include both cuts, include all the previously produced extras and some very cool new ones. Will everyone be 100% happy with the transfer? We hope so, but realistically we doubt it, we think most of the fans will be very happy, some may still have issues with the color, and others will just post negative comments just to get a reaction because that's what they do.

SAhmed, Mark Walker, ponset and 25 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.