What's new

3D A*P*E (1976) - 2-D / 3-D Blu-Ray Coming Soon From Kino Lorber! (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
a-p-e-jpg.29639

Mister Lime announced the release in this post.

I'm guessing that the 3-D Film Archive is involved in the restoration.

UPDATE

Bob Furmanek confirmed that the 3-D Film Archive is involved in the restoration.

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
From our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/silver-age-1966---1986

In February 1976, filming began in Korea on THE NEW KING KONG in Space-Vision. On March 15, a trade ad was placed in Boxoffice. At that time, Dino De Laurentiis was in production on his $22,000,000 remake of KING KONG and the producers changed the title to SUPER APE in June. It finally opened as A*P*E in October.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ridiculous? The posters make it look like the greatest movie ever made. :lol:
It's not every day you see a giant snake, ape, and shark in one movie poster. :wacko:
The movie may be bad but it is classic 3D and it is a must own. :)
After watching the very short "Finger" clip, I think we can remove the "may" and just say the movie is bad. Doesn't mean I won't buy it. :3dglasses:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I realise that licencing these movies isn't always a matter of choice but surely there are projects far more deserving of time and money than this garbage?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I realise that licencing these movies isn't always a matter of choice but surely there are projects far more deserving of time and money than this garbage?

You hit the nail on the head.

Believe me, it's licensing issues. The projects that are far more deserving are also the most difficult to obtain. Some may never see the light of day. This is why we get the crappy stuff and sit and hope for the real gems from this era.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You hit the nail on the head.

Believe me, it's licensing issues. The projects that are far more deserving are also the most difficult to obtain. Some may never see the light of day. This is why we get the crappy stuff and sit and hope for the real gems from this era.
Yes, I'll buy this, as I did COMIN' AT YA! (which looks pretty awful, actually), because there may come a day when 3-D on Blu-ray will die out as some studios seem to wish would happen yesterday (boys and girls, can you say "D-I-S-N-E-Y?"). But, for every lesser title like A*P*E*, we get (even if from Europe) something like IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, or INFERNO. I'll buy anything involving Mr. Furmanek! I love my 3D collection, and I will continue to expand it with new Blu releases as they become available, and will continue to protect my software investment with a back-up 3D t.v., which will remain boxed until needed.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only reason that people like this movie is because it's garbage. More importantly, fans of horror movies, cult movies and schlock movies still buy physical media so they keep putting those kinds of movies out. If 'classic' movies sold as well, studios would keep licensing or releasing them as frequently too.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I'll buy this, as I did COMIN' AT YA! (which looks pretty awful, actually), because there may come a day when 3-D on Blu-ray will die out as some studios seem to wish would happen yesterday (boys and girls, can you say D-I-S-N-E-Y?"). But, for every lesser title like A*P*E*, we get (even if from Europe) something like IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, or INFERNO. I'll buy anything involving Mr. Furmanek! I love my 3D collection, and I will continue to expand it with new Blu releases as they become available, and will continue to protect my software investment with a back-up 3D t.v., which will remain boxed until needed.

Agreed. But, not that you suggested it, it should be made clear. While I applaud its arrival to Blu-ray 3-D, I don't believe Bob or the Archive had anything to do with the "restoration" of Comin' At Ya!

The simple, giddy enjoyment of seeing things leap from a movie screen in three dimensions has largely been nullified over the last ten years, thanks to the format’s widespread and conservative overuse. That’s something producer Tom Stern is addressing head-on with his restoration of Comin’ at Ya!, the 1981 3D feature screening at SIFF Cinema Uptown beginning this Friday.

* * * *​

Stern and his production company Sternco 3D worked closely with star Anthony (who also co-produced and co-wrote Comin’ at Ya!) to convert the original anaglyph 3D to state-of-the-art digital. And while they’ve kept the original film uncut and intact, “every item of the production is better,” he says. “All of special effects are better, the music is better, the look of the picture is better…Almost every aspect is better, because the digital is so much more exacting.”

http://cityartsonline.com/articles/comin-ya-comes-siff.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Agreed. But, not that you suggested it, it should be made clear. While I applaud its arrival to Blu-ray 3-D, I don't believe Bob or the Archive had anything to do with the "restoration" of Comin' At Ya!

The simple, giddy enjoyment of seeing things leap from a movie screen in three dimensions has largely been nullified over the last ten years, thanks to the format’s widespread and conservative overuse. That’s something producer Tom Stern is addressing head-on with his restoration of Comin’ at Ya!, the 1981 3D feature screening at SIFF Cinema Uptown beginning this Friday.

* * * *​

Stern and his production company Sternco 3D worked closely with star Anthony (who also co-produced and co-wrote Comin’ at Ya!) to convert the original anaglyph 3D to state-of-the-art digital. And while they’ve kept the original film uncut and intact, “every item of the production is better,” he says. “All of special effects are better, the music is better, the look of the picture is better…Almost every aspect is better, because the digital is so much more exacting.”

http://cityartsonline.com/articles/comin-ya-comes-siff.
I do know that Mr. Furmanek had nothing to do with COMIN' AT YA!. But he and his crew appear to be dedicated to restoring and preserving any and all 3D titles they can have access to and/or have time to work on, which would make sense for a company called 3D Archives. He might have been involved had circumstances been different, in which case the Archives would have undoubtedly presented a much better Blu-ray than the headache-inducing release we now have. I am hoping that the Archive is or will be working on ROBOT MONSTER (rumored), CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON and THE MAZE, none of which is a brilliant cinematic experience, but all of which are classic 50's 3D that deserve (indeed, require) preservation.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
The chief cause of headaches in Comin' At Ya! is the copious parallax. The only way to fix that would be to generate a third "eye" somewhere between the left and the right, and closer to one than the other. Essentially, you'd be using the existing, fubar stereo as a guide to create a 3-D conversion, which I think falls outside the Archive's purview.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was six when Guillermin's King Kong came out. My mom dropped.off me and my older sister, it was my first time seeing a movie without my parents and I loved it. The John Barry score is phenomenal. Had a lobby card up on my wall, a t shirt, jigsaw puzzles, everything. Now, looking back, aside from the score, it is practically unwatchable. Bridges trippy hippy caricature, Grodin's overacting, and Kong himself, so obviously a guy in a suit. The sad thing is they were tryi.g for a serious film.
I will buy ape because it looks like they were just trying for fun. It looks very reminiscebnt of the japanese Kong movies I watched in the 70s on the 3 oclock million dollar movie before Oprah and Jeapordy took over daytime tv.
I love classic movies as much as anyone, but there will always be a place in my heart for pure campy fun movies like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks