What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Today, Force of Evil. One of the victims of Hollywood’s blacklist of the 1950’s, Abraham Polonsky was a lawyer and a teacher before devoting himself to writing stories and scripts; although he signed with Paramount Pictures as a screenwriter, his contributions to the studio – which were only a couple, including the Marlene Dietrich/Mitchell Leisen movie Golden Earrings (1947) – would wait until after WWII, when he served with the O.S.S. and assisted the French Resistance as a writer and director for O.S.S. radio programs. After achieving a breakthrough with an Oscar-nominated script for Body and Soul (1947), Polonsky would reunite with that film’s star, John Garfield, on his directorial debut, Force of Evil. Originally released theatrically by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Kino has licensed the movie from Paramount – the current rights holder – for its latest Blu-ray release.

Force of Evil (1948)...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I don't keep up with media releases as much these days, so this title slipped under my radar.

Certainly one of my favorite noir features, so something I will happily be adding to the collection.

- Walter.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Thanks for your fine review! I recently purchased and watched the Kino Blu-ray of FORCE OF EVIL. It certainly is one of John Garfield's best lead performances and the rest of the cast is compelling as well. It's an exceptional film noir. It took me two viewings, though, to really appreciate Abraham Polonski's near-poetic dialogue and George Barnes's striking cinematography, especially the final scene at the edge of the East River in New York City. Hopefully, your review will compel other readers to purchase the Blu-ray as well.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Garfield would be blacklisted himself after his last film He Ran All the Way (1951) and would die of a heart attack at the relatively young age of 39

Relatively young age? 39 is absolutely a young age to die!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have watched this Blu-ray three times since I got it back in July. It's a beautiful looking video presentation and the Imogen Sara Smith commentary is outstanding. This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Yes, Garfield died at the young age of 39 and his blacklisting probably contributed to his death as he suffered from heart ailments ever since a childhood battle with scarlet fever. That period in Hollywood history robbed the general public of so many great films and acting performances that we will never experience which I blame on politicians and the studio heads.

My thoughts on this movie and 2023 Blu-ray.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
When you state the video "blows the Olive Blu-ray release out of the water" you are doing a dis-service to Olive owners by not describing the improvements in detail. We are left to wonder how it could be better?
A disadvantage of the Olive release is, it doesn't have CC/subtitles for the hearing impaired.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When you state the video "blows the Olive Blu-ray release out of the water" you are doing a dis-service to Olive owners by not describing the improvements in detail. We are left to wonder how it could be better?
A disadvantage of the Olive release is, it doesn't have CC/subtitles for the hearing impaired.
Perhaps you missed the following portion of the review in which the Kino Blu-ray showed significant improvement over the Olive and Arrow Blu-ray releases in my collection.

“Film grain, gray scale and fine details are all presented faithfully with minimal to no cases of scratches, tears and dirt present.”

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Perhaps you missed the following portion of the review in which the Kino Blu-ray showed significant improvement over the Olive and Arrow Blu-ray releases in my collection.

“Film grain, gray scale and fine details are all presented faithfully with minimal to no cases of scratches, tears and dirt present.”
My apologies, I did miss that. It begs the question of how much better any future 4K release from Kino will look?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks