What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Beginning his Hollywood career as a screenwriter for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1933, former actor and playwright George Seaton worked his way to becoming a writer-director by the end of the 1940’s. By the start of the 1960’s, he had won two Oscars for his screenplays (Miracle on 34th Street in 1947 and The Country Girl in 1954) and was part of a successful production team with producer William Perlberg for Paramount Pictures. The Counterfeit Traitor – based on real life events during WWII – signaled the end of Seaton and Perlberg’s association with the studio. Previously released on DVD by Paramount and on Region Free Blu-ray by Imprint (the latter having been released earlier this year), Kino has licensed the movie for its US Blu-ray debut.

The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)

Released: 02 Jul 1962
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 140 min

Director: George Seaton
Genre: Drama, History...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Mychal for another thorough review! I've had some trouble getting my hands on the new KL Blu here in Canada, but should have it early in the new year. You've already offered details here that I haven't seen elsewhere (like the curiously unseen Paramount opening logo, disappointing but minor). Your review reinforces my expectation for a good, but not great PQ. Still far better than my old DVD. Nice also to have another commentary from Julie Kirgo, who we valued highly during the great Twilight Time era.

As you said, cinematic liberties were taken to enhance the already courageous truth about Eric Erickson and his personal sacrifices. I clipped this wire service article from my hometown newspaper archive, published as part of The Counterfeit Traitor's publicity campaign as the movie was opening, June 23, 1962...
Counterfeit Traitor, Calgary Herald  June 23, 1962..JPG

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've never seen this film. I always assumed for some reason that it was an overlong, lumbering film. Apparently, it is pretty gripping. Recently received the Kino disc and will give a spin in a few days.

Thank you for an excellent review of one of my favorite movies. This was a first-day purchase and a first-day watch. I was finally able to retire my old dvd and view a much better quality picture. Imagine - an espionage movie without one single car chase or fistfight! Hopefully, if you haven’t seen this movie already, this review will cause you to pick up this disc. You won’t be disappointed.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
After the disappointing picture quality of KL's 7th Dawn Blu-ray, I wasn't expecting much of Counterfeit Traitor because the Paramount DVD was poor, presumably due to European processing of the OCN but, boy, was I wrong. The picture quality, while still having a strange but not unpleasant look, is greatly improved. Well done, KL.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
After the disappointing picture quality of KL's 7th Dawn Blu-ray, I wasn't expecting much of Counterfeit Traitor because the Paramount DVD was poor, presumably due to European processing of the OCN but, boy, was I wrong. The picture quality, while still having a strange but not unpleasant look, is greatly improved. Well done, KL.
And here I thought that The 7th Dawn looked better than the Counterfeit Trader. Guess my eyesight is worse than I thought.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
And here I thought that The 7th Dawn looked better than the Counterfeit Trader. Guess my eyesight is worse than I thought.
I never saw the DVD of 7th Dawn (I only remembered it from TV broadcasts decades ago) but I have the Paramount DVD of Counterfeit Traitor and the KL Blu-ray is a big improvement.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've never seen this film. I always assumed for some reason that it was an overlong, lumbering film. Apparently, it is pretty gripping. Recently received the Kino disc and will give a spin in a few days.

Scorsese is a big fan of this picture and his recommendations are usually aces. I think it is an excellent film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
On a side note, nothing to do with the quality of the film, I do not have this on Blu because my orders for it have been cancelled 5 times. I had my Imprint order cancelled twice and my Kino order cancelled 3 times by Amazon. I have placed a sixth order for it and we will see if it actually arrives.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I do now have a copy in my hands. The Kino version. I will watch this weekend and report back. Last I watched this was on DVD and as I recall, the DVD transfer was not great.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The Imprint flesh tones look a little too orange, the Kino a little too washed out, I'm not sure which is correct. The Kino was brighter than most of the period, although that is easy to correct if necessary. I assume the Kino being a newer transfer is superior in other respects not evident in stills. I'm happy with the Kino!

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
The Imprint flesh tones look a little too orange, the Kino a little too washed out, I'm not sure which is correct. The Kino was brighter than most of the period, although that is easy to correct if necessary. I assume the Kino being a newer transfer is superior in other respects not evident in stills. I'm happy with the Kino!
The Kino is vastly superior - sharper, less dirt, not overly contrasty like the Imprint. The Kino is a 4K scan from the camera negative whereas the other transfer was a mid 2000s telecine from a worn element.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Good movie, although I wouldn’t exactly describe it as gripping. Certain parts of the film lag, but overall it’s an enjoyable watch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks